Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM

35 posts, read 191,124 times

Advertisements

We live in Hawaii but considering moving to Salem area of Oregon (Hawaii is really not our paradise).

We are looking for a nice neighborhood with green areas (Homes about 350K) where we can walk to the stores and cafes.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 31,146 times
We live in Keizer, on the outskirts of Salem and we love it here. It has a small community feel. If you want to check out the town, see the newspaper online at: Keizertimes.com. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-22-2007 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Please do not advertise your home for sale here.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:13 PM

Hi bedyfield,
Thanks for your reply.
I've been wondering what Keizer is like. Does the town have nice communities with houses in the $300 to $350K range?
What about crime and bad places in Keizer?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Yes, Keizer has homes in that value, we are selling our home in that range, its 4 bedroom for $349,000. If you move to Keizer, you want North Keizer. Good areas are in these schools boundaries: Gubser Elementary, Clear Lake Elementary, and Forest Ridge Elementary. There is crime (as there is about everywhere) but not much in these areas. We've lived here 13 years and never had a break in or even a car break in. It's nice too because from anywhere in Keizer you are less than 10 minutes from the freeway and Keizer Station which is a really cute shopping area. My son is 11 yrs old and he said to me the other day, "You know what I love about Keizer mom? In our small town we have neighborhoods, shopping, and farmland! We have everything!" It was cute. So good luck. I tried to give you the link to our home, but the moderator snubbed that! But I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Bedifield

Hi again :-)

Maybe I ask why you are moving ;-) out of Keizer.

I looked at the MLS listings but didn't see any homes for Keizer at $349K

Thanks for your response.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:08 AM

We are not moving out of Keizer, we are building a new home in Keizer. (in North Keizer actually) Our house is not on the MLS because it is for sale by owner. you can look at a website for properties by owner. Add .com to that and you have the website. There are homes there that are for sale in Keizer that are not on MLS. I'd put the link, but they consider that advertising. Or you can email me and I'll give you the link and you can search for Keizer homes. . There are about 3 homes for sale in our neighborhood that are 4 bedroom and range from $307k to $349. You can find those prices in other areas of north Keizer as well. you can look at the newspaper for salem, oregon also called the Statesman Journal and they have online homes for sale and they will say if they are in Keizer.

Last edited by Waterlily; 07-24-2007 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: No emails-use pm

Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 AM

11 posts, read 46,070 times
Living in the Clear Lake area, however, isolates you from any sort of retail/commercial areas--so you can't walk to anything but tracts of housing built on top of each other. I grew up in the Gubser area, which is now near retail now (albeit big boxes), but it just doesn't seem as nice as it used to be. My parents lived in the Clear Lake area for about 10 years, too, and while it is a quiet, safe place to raise kids, it's ultra-suburban and not near any shopping--you'll be driving in your car all the time.

Like I said in the other thread, the Fairmount area of South Salem seems like a good fit for you. MLS 581827 would be a good example of a house in that area. You could walk to the library, downtown, cafes on Commercial, Riverfront Park, Minto Island Park, and Bush Park.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:16 AM

I looked up that mls...adorable house. I love the bungalow style! But no closer to shopping than our neighborhood in Keizer. You can easily ride your bike (about 5 minutes) to downtown Keizer, coffee shops and retail, but walking would take a little longer. From my house, to walk to coffee would be about 20 minutes. Or, you can drive 2 minutes to Keizer Station shopping area and then walk around all their little pathways to the many shops there - they are still adding stores because this is a new area. It really depends on what you want. To live in "south" Salem (close to downtown) you may not be in as safe an area as north Keizer, but that would depend on how watchful your neighbors are. Downtown Salem is older so more history then in Keizer, but also a larger "city" downtown feel where Keizer is a small community. There is no library in Keizer, so consider that if it is important to you to be able to walk to the library. I wouldn't really say one is better than the other, just come and visit and you'll be able to tell what is right for you!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,776 times
I am a Realtor/Broker in the Salem/Keizer area working for Coldwell Banker Mountain West Real Estate, Inc.. I moved to Salem in 1993 and very familiar with the area. West Salem is a very nice area, and it is a great time to buy over there, especially if you plan on staying in that home for an extended period of time. Prices have leveled out signifigantly in the last year or so. Keizer is a WONDERFUL town, and I say this because I personally live there and love it. The price range you are looking for is more towards the middle to North end of Keizer, and the people I know that live there don't want to leave unless there is some circumstance causing them to need to, work etc... We have a new shopping development called Keizer Station, that is growing by the day, and is very convenient, and there are alot of prks in the area as well. If you are looking for a home central to the core of Salem, the downtown are has some wonderful homes, many of which have been restored. There is also the Bush park area that is not too far from downtown, and has a lovely pasture park. There are alot of new condo's/townhouses, being built in the middle of downtown Salem that are very nice, and more to come. Both downtown Salem, and the Keizer are are on the path to somewhat of a "revival", or that is the plan. If you have any question or if I can be of assistance, please feel free to contact me anytime! Hope the information is helpful! Best of luck! Mika Webb, Broker (503) 365-8342

Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 PM

33 posts, read 127,887 times
Default We rented in West bought in South

I just posted these threads after reflecting on my own move to Salem 1.5 years ago. Hope they help.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orego...1-5-years.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orego...durham-nc.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: