Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 AM

312 posts, read 731,747 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was searching for positions for my husband in Corrections. It seems to have many positions available......the salaries seem very reasonable and almost high (to us anyway)....we live in South Carolina right now so the salaries are really low so these may be right on....

Anyway, my question...is for a family of 3...two adults and a very large puppy dog () renting a NICE townhouse or condo is the cost of living expensive in Salem? What areas would you suggest for us to start looking for rentals...I DO NOT WANT TO LIVE IN A BAD AREA.....our puppy is a greyhound and very sweet..I am afraid to buy anything right away...hence the renting...we would look to move in about one year...wanting to plan ahead..

Thank you! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,304,903 times
The dog will keep you out of many places that are "Not in a bad area". Corrections may seem well paid to you, but it is a lower middle class job here. I know as I was in corrections for many years, but yes there are jobs in corrections, and you can be comfortable as long as you don't have some of the vices such as drinking, drugs, or smoking.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 40,343,875 times
I don't see you renting a townhouse or condo. You'd need to rent a house with a dog, most likely. A 3bed/2bath in south Salem goes for around 1100 a month or so.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM

Try Craigslist and look for the "WOUF". It means they accept Dogs.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
The dog will keep you out of many places that are "Not in a bad area". Corrections may seem well paid to you, but it is a lower middle class job here. I know as I was in corrections for many years, but yes there are jobs in corrections, and you can be comfortable as long as you don't have some of the vices such as drinking, drugs, or smoking.

Well my husband DOES NOT drink smoke or take drugs... We are upper middle class here and geez I didn't think having a greyhound would put us in the ghetto? I guess we will re-think the move to Salem...there are other places that seem better suited for us I think... I work a full time job and we do not have children...I thought we could live in a "nice" area.....so you are saying the salary is low for the area? Yes?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't see you renting a townhouse or condo. You'd need to rent a house with a dog, most likely. A 3bed/2bath in south Salem goes for around 1100 a month or so.

Why do you not see us renting a townhouse or condo? I have a retired racing greyhound who sleeps 20 hours a day? We live in a very nice townhouse development here just down the street from a park? Are you saying nobody will rent to us with a dog or that just because I have a dog..I need a house? Because I do NOT need a large house for my dog... You are all very discouraging....geez!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 AM

You asked a question and you got an answer. Corrections is a lower middle class job here. We don't know what you do for a living. Jobs are very scarce here. Nothing was meant to be negative unless you think the facts you asked for are negative. Most apartments here have a 40 or even 20 pound limit on dogs, and the ones that don't are rarely condos. Very rarely. And almost never in upscale neighborhood. Ownership is another story. I have had rescued Greyhounds. They are good dogs, but rental owners want no dogs or lap puppies.

If that offends you, maybe you should look at the realities of pet ownership and renting, and not blame us for giving you the facts.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
You asked a question and you got an answer. Corrections is a lower middle class job here. We don't know what you do for a living. Jobs are very scarce here. Nothing was meant to be negative unless you think the facts you asked for are negative. Most apartments here have a 40 or even 20 pound limit on dogs, and the ones that don't are rarely condos. Very rarely. And almost never in upscale neighborhood. Ownership is another story. I have had rescued Greyhounds. They are good dogs, but rental owners want no dogs or lap puppies.

If that offends you, maybe you should look at the realities of pet ownership and renting, and not blame us for giving you the facts.

Okay..well thank you for being candid.... Please help me understand when I go to the Oregon.gov website I see over 99 positions to fill for Correctional Officers in just the Salem area alone? Are these "real" jobs or are they hiring as needed? I realize that some of the announcements are continuous but when there are that many positions and knowing what a high rate of turnover in corrections, I don' t think I am unrealistic thinking he would not have a problem obtaining employment...wrong or right? As far as renting....we will have to re-think all of that....any areas you would suggest buying a townhouse or condo for around $125,000 then that is a nice area? I do not want to feel unsafe. I have absolutely no clue on cost of homes there...I am just basing it on cost of townhouses here in Myrtle Beach. Thank you again.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
Okay..well thank you for being candid.... Please help me understand when I go to the Oregon.gov website I see over 99 positions to fill for Correctional Officers in just the Salem area alone? Are these "real" jobs or are they hiring as needed? I realize that some of the announcements are continuous but when there are that many positions and knowing what a high rate of turnover in corrections, I don' t think I am unrealistic thinking he would not have a problem obtaining employment...wrong or right? As far as renting....we will have to re-think all of that....any areas you would suggest buying a townhouse or condo for around $125,000 then that is a nice area? I do not want to feel unsafe. I have absolutely no clue on cost of homes there...I am just basing it on cost of townhouses here in Myrtle Beach. Thank you again.
There are some new ones right down town by the Park in Salem and great views. As to turnover, your husband should be well aware, some people are wired right for the job and most are not. The pay sucks, and the respect is short. Yes the jobs are real. This is not the East Coast and Prisons are run a little differently in the west. There has been a rash of corruption lately and Oregon does not tolerate it in the prison system, so some jobs have become vacant. He won’t have a problem getting a job. Depending on what you do, you might.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
There are some new ones right down town by the Park in Salem and great views. As to turnover, your husband should be well aware, some people are wired right for the job and most are not. The pay sucks, and the respect is short. Yes the jobs are real. This is not the East Coast and Prisons are run a little differently in the west. There has been a rash of corruption lately and Oregon does not tolerate it in the prison system, so some jobs have become vacant. He won’t have a problem getting a job. Depending on what you do, you might.
Oh great! Do you happen to know the name of the townhouses you mentioned? Also, my husband has been in corrections for close to ten years now....he is an ex Marine and has received 3 promotions in the past ten years here in South Carolina...it is a county facility....what exactly do you mean by the west prisons are run differently? Examples? I am sure my husband would fit in beautifully being in the military and he has lived in the PNW before we were married....Well, I understand all too well about employment and the lack of it...worked in a major university in Pennsylvania and when we came here...I do all the accounting now for a small company...I am flexible and have many years administrative experience...what do you think my chances at an university job are? I am realistic....but we will be more flexible for my job as long as he gets employment....Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: