Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 07:33 PM

24 posts, read 128,741 times

Advertisements

We are a family of four looking at a move to Oregon. My husband would like to be south of Portland. I thought area's around Salem might be nice. I'm looking for real, honest suggestions of where to consider living. Our children are 11 & 7. I like the small town feel, but enjoy the culture. I like friendly neighbors who would like to come over for dinner or drinks. Does that exsist around Oregon. Lately, I've been reading many posts telling people to stay clear of Oregon, for many different reasons. Drugs, crime, not enough land. Small lot's etc. This is a huge disapointment when we are considering a move from everything we've ever known. We'll be coming out there in a few weeks to "check out area's". Any thoughts??? Looking for true answers. Thanks. MN!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 01:34 PM

540 posts, read 2,173,648 times
mncamper,
I think you can find what you are looking for here in the Willamette Valley; from Keizer down to Albany there are lots of opportunites for friendly neighbors, decent sized lots (not everywhere has them, but they CAN be found).

We found the people here (we live in Albany) to be very friendly when we moved 6 years ago (this month as a matter of fact). Very welcoming and easy to talk to. I'd be happy to point you to some resources to help you do some research on the area, just let me know.
I went through a big job change two years ago when I retired from the Navy and my family decided this is where they wanted to stay. Now, I have to say we have really found a home in this community. I can't get out of Costco on Sunday without seeing at least 5 or 10 people that I know. (I think that you either have to do that, or spend a $100 to get out...isn't that the rule?).

Check out Albany, Jefferson, Millersburg, and north to Salem...you can get a rural feel, or a sub-division home. There are always some homes on acreage (but they ARE getting pretty spendy, especially with a nicer home).

Good luck.

Dave

Old 09-27-2007, 04:34 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times
I've been in Salem for sixteen years and I love it hear. I think it's important to "read between the lines" when people rag incessantly on a city. If all they have to say are bad things, then they usually have a bad attitude. No place is perfect, pretty much any decent-sized city has drugs. If you're coming from a large city, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My neighborhood is made up of ranch style homes built in the 50's, 60's and 70's. My home is 30 years old and I've put a lot of sweat equity into it. I have a wonderful neighborhood with a big park; we have a neighborhood picnic every June. I know many of my neighbors and we watch out for each other when someone goes on vacation. I'm close to the freeway so I can get to Portland in 45 minutes. I'm on the outskirts of town so I can get on my bike and be out in the country in five minutes. Shopping is plentiful and I'm an hour from the ocean, two hours from the mountains, 45 minutes to the wine country.

The bad? Transportation in Salem is bad with no cross-town freeway. We don't have a lot of high end shopping or cuisine. In one month you can eat at all the good restaurants and I'm not talking the corporate schlock like Red Robin or Olive Garden. We've got way too many of those. We need more high end things.

As for crime, I don't see it being very bad. My house was burglarized--eleven years ago. Nothing since then. Unless you live in a gated community or a city like Beverly Hills, expect to have some level of crime. Most that I've observed is petty stuff. Gangs? Yes, they're here. From what I've heard of recent transplants, they're wannabes. I never hear of drive-by shootings or all the other horrible things you get from L.A.

Of course, the smaller communities are even more tight-nit. Silverton is wonderful, but somewhat pricey. Monmouth is a quaint community and so is Dallas. I think Albany in great. Stayton and Sublimity are nice communities. Stay away from Woodburn, Gervais or Hubbard.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 PM

48 posts, read 158,960 times
Default Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncamper View Post
We are a family of four looking at a move to Oregon. My husband would like to be south of Portland. I thought area's around Salem might be nice. I'm looking for real, honest suggestions of where to consider living. Our children are 11 & 7. I like the small town feel, but enjoy the culture. I like friendly neighbors who would like to come over for dinner or drinks. Does that exsist around Oregon. Lately, I've been reading many posts telling people to stay clear of Oregon, for many different reasons. Drugs, crime, not enough land. Small lot's etc. This is a huge disapointment when we are considering a move from everything we've ever known. We'll be coming out there in a few weeks to "check out area's". Any thoughts??? Looking for true answers. Thanks. MN!!!!
Salem does have its charm: old downtown, a couple of nice parks, close enough to Portland. Stay away from Lancaster and NE Salem and you will probably be fine.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:22 PM

206 posts, read 615,434 times
it rains for 6 month in the winter gets very cold, people are nice ,but stay away from lancaster and ne too many mexicans and slum part of town very very buzy

Old 10-13-2007, 11:10 AM

Dave, Thanks for the info. We will be visiting Salem and other area's next weekend. I hear that it's a good time to come to see what it's really like. Is there a lot of rain? What other area's did you and your family live? What made Oregon different? We live in Northern MN, it great, but the weather is tough? Have your children enjoyed school there? I've wrote down every area you suggested we look. Thank you for your help. I hope we find what were looking for. Lisa

Old 10-13-2007, 11:13 AM

Thumbs up Thanks to all those who helped.

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions of this area. We will be visiting Portland/Salem and everything in between. For one week we will pack all that feedback into successful hunting! "I hope" Thanks Again,
Sincerely,
Minnesota

Old 10-13-2007, 12:19 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times
Mncamper: Let us know about your trip!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 AM

24 posts, read 81,231 times
How did it go? what did you find?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem