Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,052 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I was hoping I could get some input/advice from some of the Salem natives. My family and I will most likely be moving out to Salem in the next few months for work, and we are looking for some information. We come from a pretty sleepy area, and safety and schools are our biggest concern. We have heard south and south west Salem are the best bets, and we will be renting most likely for the first year.

So here are my questions:

Which schools are considered "the best" and which ones should be avoided?

South and southwest the best bet for a large family?

What is the political climate like in Salem? I know Oregon is one of the most liberal states, but how does the city of Salem compare to the state?

How is the public/mass transit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I think you mean south and northwest Salem. Northwest is on the other side of the river.

The "best" schools by test scores for elementary down south are Schirle, Candalaria and Sumpter, but generally south schools are considered good except for Liberty. Out west Chapman Hill gets the best test scores.

For middle schools Jane Goodall (charter school), Judson, and Howard Street (charter school) get the best test scores.

For high schools it is Sprague then West.

Not sure what you mean best bet for a large family?? You can live anywhere that works for you.

Salem is a moderate city politically. While the county votes blue in elections, I think we are barely blue.

The mass transit is ok, not great.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToOregonSoon View Post
... ...

What is the political climate like in Salem? I know Oregon is one of the most liberal states, but how does the city of Salem compare to the state?

... ...
Only about 2/3 of Portland and Eugene are liberal. Most of the rest of the state is conservitive to ultra conservitive.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:36 PM

83 posts, read 181,515 times
I hope you like it here. My family and I moved here a little over a year ago from northeastern California and feel at home. We live in south Salem and the schools seem good. I'd recommend you look at the Salem-Keizer SD website and compare where you're thinking of renting to the school reports for that neighborhood. They have all the boundary maps and school reports on the website. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,052 times
This is great advice everyone, thanks! Hope the people here are indicative of the people we will meet there.

Silverfall, when I asked about those areas and being a good fit for a family I was asking about the safety and state of the parks. Going back I see my question was way too vague.

Thanks again.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToOregonSoon View Post
This is great advice everyone, thanks! Hope the people here are indicative of the people we will meet there.

Silverfall, when I asked about those areas and being a good fit for a family I was asking about the safety and state of the parks. Going back I see my question was way too vague.

Thanks again.

Ah...Salem PD puts all of their crime stats on crimereports.com so you can do and see live crime data anytime. Safety is a subjective thing, but I personally feel totally safe in Salem, anywhere. I'm originally from Chicago area though so my definition of "bad area" is much different than Oregon's definition. From my perspective we don't have any bad areas of town.

We have maintenance issues with our parks due to the poor economy, but many of the neighborhood associations have organized cleanups and park improvement drives. Generally, they are in good shape considering the state of the economy though.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
There are drug issues with almost 100% of the Salem parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem