Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 12:26 PM

497 posts, read 484,602 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, during the last little cold snap we just had, PGE states that I have used 406kWh in 8 days. Bill is at $55 already! I live in a newer manufactured home 1300sq ft, with a heat pump & haven't had the thermostat over 70 degrees. Is anyone else using this much electricity in such a short period of time? I do use the oven and stove daily (I cook a lot). Other than that, the lights are all energy efficient & I don't keep them on unless I'm using a particular area of the house. Any feedback appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 05:14 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Well, if you calculate it out by the 100w bulb standard:

406kwh/8 days = 50.75kwh/day

100w bulb x 24 hours = 2.4kwh/day

so that is the equivalent of running about 20 100w bulbs 24 hours a day for 8 days. The usual electricity hogs are: the heating system, the water heater, the dryer. Running the dryer for an hour can be around 1-5kwh depending on how efficient your dryer is.

What is the heat pump rated for? Some heat pumps don't heat well at low temps and switch over to a resistive backup which really eats up the power.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:44 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Not much more you can do the save electricity. But you can install LED light bulbs in the lights you use most often. Maybe kitchen, living room, outside?

Those bulbs will use like 13 watts to put out 100 watts or light. Note LED lights have different "colors" and you might not want "daylight" on an inside bulb as it is quite bright.

Anyway those bulbs will save year round. Maybe help to offset the cold snap months high bills.

Also wet yourself with the shower, then turn off the water. Soap up, then turn the water back on and rinse. Saves hot water. Hot water can be 30% of an electric bill.

You may be able to skip taking a shower on a weekend day as well. (If not going anywhere.)

Wash clothes in cold water.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:05 AM

351 posts, read 1,283,486 times
I am going to assume that you only have electricity (no gas service) at your home.
$55 for 8 days in this cold weather sounds CHEAP!!! Your home sounds like it is very energy efficient, And in all honestly If you try and conserve.... You will probably only knock a few $ off per month.

I live in a completely different climate than you..... But the last 8 days..... I used 966 Kwh in my 1268 sf built in 1979 all electric home. Only thing that saves me is that my electric company is a co-op and we pay roughly 40% less than PGE rates.

I say just do what you are doing and enjoy your comfortable home in the winter time.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Your top electrical use comes from heating water. If you install solar hot water, you will cut your electric bill in half over the course of a year. Second comes heat. A heat pump is not very efficient when temperatures drop toward freezing. A secondary heat source like a wood stove or pellet stove will save you some money, though not much if you have to buy fuel. If you have your own wood lot, wood heat is a nice thing, particularly in power outages.

Probably the best thing you can do is an energy audit (the power company will do it) and upgraded insulation, doors and windows. Sliding glass doors are big energy hogs. I upgraded my 1700 sf. house a decade ago, use a heat pump with wood heat, and our electric bills for only two people still run $200/month. I know people who pay almost 3x that for heat in the winter, so am pretty content.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM

497 posts, read 484,602 times
Thanks for all the replies. I lowered the thermostat a couple degrees and it has made a usage difference. At least according to the PGE website. I'm thinking an insulating blanket for the water heater and some LED bulbs would help. Thanks for the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem