Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 6,111 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are moving to the Corvallis area this summer, but we wanted to take advantage of some of the sales on winter gear going on now. We live in Illinois, and the winters are brutal. If it's not snowy, it's so cold - windchills in the negatives - that very, very warm coats are a must.

I've read that Oregon winters tend to be wet, but it's more of a continuous drizzle than a downpour. I guess I want to know:

1. Do I definitely need a winter coat, or can I get a raincoat and wear layers?
2. Will my husband's wool peacoat be ok, or do you think it's not waterproof enough?
3. What sort of things should I look for in a good coat/jacket?
4. I'm at a loss as to what kind of footwear to get. Rubber boots?

Thank you so much for all of your help. We're really looking forward to being there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:26 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
The coats sold out there will make you too warm out here for the most part. The wool peacoat is fine for the drizzly days. I have several wool peacoats and wear them all the time. I wear those for work. After that my next biggest thing is fleece. I have several fleece coats. Then you would likely want a thiner raincoat with a hood. The hood is very important. It doesn't generally rain hard enough for an umbrella, but the drizzle makes you look like a drowned rat over time. You want something you can layer underneath.

What you get depends on business attire. Business attire out here is generally business casual. So being able to throw a fleece and raincoat over a business shirt and khakis/skirts is generally what people do. The weather fluctuates so much here that layering is the way to go. Always keep a fleece and raincoat in the car because the weather can be totally different in the morning and afternoon.

I don't own rubber boots personally, but I know some people that like them. Most people just use them for gardening, fishing, etc. You can wear normal footwear here.

I have a coat like this. Women I can wear this coat all winter. I just need a hat and gloves on our coldest days.

I have a nicer one for work.

I also have a couple of fleece vests for when you just need a little bit to keep you warm for hiking. If you intend to ski, then you'd want a warmer coat for that, of course.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:33 AM

24 posts, read 56,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandbutton View Post
I've read that Oregon winters tend to be wet, but it's more of a continuous drizzle than a downpour. I guess I want to know:

1. Do I definitely need a winter coat, or can I get a raincoat and wear layers?
2. Will my husband's wool peacoat be ok, or do you think it's not waterproof enough?
3. What sort of things should I look for in a good coat/jacket?
4. I'm at a loss as to what kind of footwear to get. Rubber boots?
My family is also moving to the Willamette Valley area this summer. I've done a little research on it. I'm at a loss also. From what I've looked at so far, it looks like we may need something not overly heavy but waterproof. The jackets that are waterproof are also sweaty if you wear them too long. They have zippers in the underarm for air circulation, but still.

I'm from Arizona, so I have no clue when it comes to cold, at all. A lot of the posters here are long time residents so I'm sure you will get many responses soon. I'm very interested to see the responses also.

Edit: Looks like Silverfall was posting at the same time and replied before me.

Last edited by SoonOregonSoon; 02-03-2015 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: Timing

Old 02-03-2015, 10:17 AM

899 posts, read 2,942,532 times
I too live in salem and my word to both of you is don't buy any winter coats before come and don't give away any that you might have..Wait and see..
Today its just a good rainy-messy day out and errands to do so on will go my favorite light weight coat, rubber garden clogs and sock cap,this will keep the feet dry and the body warm..
Like Silverfall I love the fleece vests and light weight jackets..
Well thats my 2 cents worth..
Have safe travels...

Old 02-03-2015, 02:12 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
When I'm out playing in the snow, I wear my Columbia jacket, like this one...

Men

I wear my Wolverine waterproof, insulated boots. Keeps my feet dry & warm.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:59 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
When I drive over to Salem in the winter, I generally wear a T-shirt and blue jeans with sneakers. If it is raining, I have a fleece lined windbreaker. On the rare occasions when it is chilly, I put on a sweatshirt.

If you want to be up in the mountains during the winter (snowmobiling, cross country skiing) you'll want some warm clothing. I buy Columbia brand for when I need something warm. They have jacket systems that are layered and can have bits removed if you get too hot.

Layering is the way to go, rather than one really heavy jacket.

Corvallis is set up for rain. Sidewalks are paved and tend to be covered. It rains a lot, so the area is well set up to deal with rain.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 AM

Thanks so much, everyone! I really appreciate the input. Everyone I've spoken with in Oregon has been so kind - it's really encouraging!

Looks like I'll be getting some lightweight raincoats, fleece jackets, and maybe some vests. I'm so excited to see mountains! The topography in Illinois is so flat (read: boring). Driving through the state feels like it takes forever!

One last question on footwear: I generally wear ballet flats every day for my work in an office. I'm anticipating the same type of job once we get to Oregon; will I immediately regret my choice in shoes?

Ok, I lied. I have another question. What do you wear (clothing, shoes, outerwear) to commute via bike? I feel like this is a really dumb question, but towns are spread very far apart here, and the roads are not at all bike-friendly, so very few people bike to work. The only public transportation is on the college campus, so everyone drives to work, for errands, etc. I'd like to get away from that... It would be nice if my husband and I could become a one-car family, only driving when we need to, and biking to get from point a to point b, but I'm not sure if that's just a romantic idea I have of life in Oregon, or if it's actually attainable. Or, really, what I would wear in order to be prepared for it.

Thanks in advance for my newbie questions! I'm so grateful for your help!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:54 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Ballet flats would be okay on most days. If we get a heavy rain, I'd shift to something else, or wear tennis shoes and change into flats at work.

Most people wear cycling/rain gear on their bikes and then change at work. Some people buy those small bike trailers and pull them with laptops and such, but most seem to use carrier bags like this one. http://www.amazon.com/M-Wave-Double-...072334&sr=1-51

I'm originally from Illinois. I've been here 25 years and would never move back.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:06 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
... I'd shift to something else, or wear tennis shoes and change into flats at work.
I do this pretty much year-round regardless of rain. Your podiatrist/PT will probably recommend against walking any distance in flats and walking/tennis shoes are just going to be more comfortable and mean less wear on the soles of your nicer shoes.

Keep the flats at work or stow them in your day bag.

As for bike gear, it really depends on how far you're going and if you plan to bike even on those 3-10 days a year where it's really dumping during commute time.

For even casual commuting you probably want waterproof top + pants, and some sort of head covering that doesn't restrict vision (or mess up your perm ). I think at one points I also had waterproof gloves and shoe covers. But most of the time you can get by with less, esp. if you keep a change of clothes/socks/shoes at work.

I still have my winter coat from when I lived in colder climes, and in a lot of years it only gets worn if I'm heading up into the Cascades. Even a peacoat might feel a bit warm most of the time if he's warm-blooded - fleece vets/sweaters under a raincoat will be sufficient outside of a serious "cold" snap.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 PM

Wonderful!!! Thank you all for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: