Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 PM

68 posts, read 63,690 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm 26 years old and live with my parents (dad is 60 and mom is 59). Right now we live near San Antonio, TX and will be moving to Salem in six years when my dad retires.

I suffered brain damage at birth and have been diagnosed with Non Verbal Learning Disability and Dyscalculia. I can't drive due to visual deficits caused by the brain damage (depth, visual/spatial). I am at a 2nd grade level in math and can't handle my own finances.

I also have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome type lll and so have chronic pain caused by unstable joints. I also have Dysautonomia, POTS Syndrome and Gastroparesis caused by the EDS.

My parents are going to buy a house outright and are planning on setting me up with whatever services I need. When they pass I'll need help with transportation and someone to handle my finances (may or may not be a family member, we'll have to see).

What area of the city would be best for my family to move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Six years from now?

At least in 2016 the nicest parts of town are south/west, but if you're going to need regular transport to Portland for services...

In any case, the big question is what you'll be able to afford in 2022, and right now that's a complete unknown.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 3,226 times
Had to respond to say my daughter could have written much of your post. She is around your age, has EDS, dysautonomia, POTS, gastroparesis and MCAD. She suffered from brain trauma at a young age and has dyscalculia and NVLD as well.We plan on moving to Salem this summer, fingers crossed. We currently live in another part of the state but want to escape the isolation and snow. Any way, I wish you great luck on your future journey. I know how difficult these diseases are and how hard life can be for someone so young.
Oregon has fairly good DD and disability services. You should be able to get a PSW (personal support worker through the DD office) or a HCW (home care worker through Aging and People with Disabilities). A PSW or HCW can help you navigate your world as your parents age and you find you need more assistance. I will warn you there are not many doctors in the PNW who understand EDS, dysautonomia etc so be prepared to advocate strongly for your healthcare needs. Hopefully by the time you move to Salem there will be more options. Best of luck and be well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: