Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 10:48 AM

18 posts, read 25,673 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Salem for retirement to be near our daughter in Portland, specifically the newer construction of single family homes in West Salem, and from my research of the Portland homeless scene they seem to prefer the areas I am wanting to move to Oregon for: Woods, nature preserves, river and stream banks, city parks. I see in the local press that home owners who live near these nature areas where the homeless camps are located suffer from a lot of theft and break ins and even step on dirty needles. I feel for most of the homeless, but what I really mind are the the dirty needles, feces, litter and threat of crime. I have worked extensively with them in my profession and found there is a certain percentage that is chronic, not necessarily an addict or mentally ill, they have no desire to move into housing, get a job, etc. and I don't want to be around that type. I call them Homeless-by-Choice, it's a lifestyle for them, and there's no help for them no matter what we do. From what I have seen online there seems to be a higher percentage of this chronic type than we have here in the Midwest.

When there are crack downs do they just move between Eugene, Salem and Portland? That's my impression.

After we realized we couldn't afford Portland's real estate we drove south and when I first drove into Salem's downtown I immediately noticed there were no homeless types. Seemed surprising. My research has found that there is a several block exclusion area called The Downtown Crime Prevention District: South of Union Street NE, north of Trade Street SE, east of Front Street and west of Cottage Street. But I'm wondering if that pushes them into the residential areas as well as the woods they (and I) prefer? I take my two dogs out two or three times a day to run in those types of areas, I also kayak, hike and bike. So I am asking if I will run into them in the woods and along the water in the Salem area? If I'm moving to Salem to enjoy the nature aspect, do they own it? I realize they are mainly harmless but it kind of defeats the idea of getting out in nature.

I live in Chicago where only the most mentally ill, alcoholic and addicted would even consider living due to the cold, plus pan handling is not profitable compared to college towns, but it seems on the west coast, mainly the coastal cities, they're everywhere, especially Oregon. Young folks called The Travellers do it as a lifestyle, we have one in our extended family so I know the rationale: Off the grid.

Thanks for your insights. Please give me the real situation regarding the homeless camps in Salem's nature areas, if any.

P.S. My recent sources:

Springwater homeless community meeting gets heated

Homeless disrupt environmentally sensitive area

2-story homeless treehouse to be cleared from Beggars Tick

Police clear out Steel Bridge homeless camp

Last edited by Kazoo2016; 09-16-2016 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Bad speller!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 12:23 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Yes, we have a lot of homeless on the West Coast because they can live outside all year long. Our winters are mild.

Do the homeless travel between Portland, Salem, and Eugene in some kind of homeless railroad? I don't think so. There are around 1800 homeless people in Marion and Polk counties combined. I would expect it to grow as home prices go up here. We have a growing lack of affordable housing issue here.

I've seen one tent on a trail in my 17 years in this area. It is the Croisan Trail in my neighborhood. I've never seen anyone in it, but there was an old tent shelter there. Otherwise, the only time I see homeless are walking around the city. My husband is an avid cyclist and we are a hiking family.

In Salem, we have porta potties in many places and they put them in places where homeless can easily access them. The Union Gospel Mission is downtown which is one of the local homeless shelters so you will see them downtown. I've never seen any at Ankeny, Minto Brown, etc. The free food services are downtown so I think most tend to congregate around the bridges and such. We do have a police department unit that is specifically trained to help and work with them.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:39 PM

18 posts, read 25,673 times
Thanks Silverfall for the info. As an out-of-stater the whole Portland/Salem/Eugene area blurs together for me. I figured what was happening in Portland's nature areas would be applicable to the other towns' areas.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:24 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo2016 View Post
Thanks Silverfall for the info. As an out-of-stater the whole Portland/Salem/Eugene area blurs together for me. I figured what was happening in Portland's nature areas would be applicable to the other towns' areas.
We have homeless here and in the about the same percentage as Portland, but it just becomes a numbers issue. Portland is four times the size of Salem so that is four times the number of homeless. Portland has more smaller wildlife refuges than we do so it is just easier for the homeless to start claiming one as their own.

Portland, Salem and Eugene are very distinct and have their own cultures.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:24 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Manageable. IMO.
I think most are in the woods on the west side of the Willamette River from Wallace Marine Park North. Greenway.
Many use the Mission shelter.

Wallace Marine Park is well used by the public and is safe during normal hours. It is fairly big park. Heavily treed. I would not venture into the woods at night.
Other than Wallace Marine Park, all other WestSalem parks are less treed and up the hill, which means the homeless have a pretty good hike hence not desirable.

Last edited by leastprime; 09-16-2016 at 11:40 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 11:52 AM

497 posts, read 484,715 times
Minto-Brown Island Park is probably the most popular in Salem for hiking, cycling and has a nice off leash dog park. I've never seen any homeless in there at all. They seem to congregate around the bridge downtown where the Union Gospel Mission is and a city park on the other side. Where they sleep is somewhat of a mystery to me as I've never seen what could be called a camp in natural areas. Portland tends to have a much larger problem with that. I don't spend much time around the Willamette river, so they could exist around Wallace like another poster mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem