Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 11:04 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

It depends on what your interests are. When I lived in Salem, briefly (not briefly enough!), it was a backwater. I know it's grown quite a bit since then, but it's still a little out-of-the-way. In Vancouver, you'd have easier access to Portland's amenities: better entertainment and music venues, art galleries and museum, the legendary Powell's Boostore, if you like bookstores, more and better restaurants, than Salem. Between Vancouver and Portland, you'd have a better social scene, if you want that. The worst of the pulp mills in and around Salem has long ago closed, but there's one left in the area. Pulp and paper mills are challenging to live with. I wouldn't move an elder near one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 03:33 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The OP didn't ask what the social scene was in Portland. They asked what it was in Vancouver proper. The social scene in Portland is far superior to any of the smaller cities that surround it. That's obvious, no?
No, it's not obvious that the OP was asking only about Vancouver proper. One assumes he/she is asking what social life will be like for a young person living in Vancouver which is what I answered. The number of young single Vancouverites eager to meet people and have a social life who would refuse to cross the river for a date or social event or match.com hookup is a vanishingly small percentage. The same can't be said for Salem because it's a real slog to get up to Portland for a Friday night on the town.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:29 PM

63 posts, read 165,131 times
Yeah I noticed that, its crazy how 8 miles can take 30 minutes. Oh well...thanks everyone for helping me decide!

Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times
Quote:
young single Vancouverites eager to meet people and have a social life who would refuse to cross the river for a date or social event or hookup is a vanishingly small percentage

And I'm proud to be part of that small percentage which isn't afraid to not follow the herd! So sue me!

Old 01-19-2019, 02:32 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Stay in WA. No Income tax. A sales tax but buy most of your big ticket items in OR and don't have anything delivered to a WA address.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I your dad is eligible for VA Benefits...

Consider Roseburg, OR!

Also you can see what services he could get in Vancouver VA (Rehab and elderly) Vanc VA used run a shuttle bus to Portland VA a few times/ day.

IN WA there are some VA facilities in Sound Puget Sound near McCord.

If not VA... get dad a place with a GREAT view (If he is still ambulatory and seeing well) View is also very nice to enjoy when working from home.

Personally... I would get that place on the site of Ft Vancouver or as near as possible (Walking distance to senior center, library, transit, shopping.
https://www.historictrustproperties.org/

wait list (worth waiting...IMHO)
https://www.historictrustproperties....ntial-rentals/
Except for cheap houses I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want to move to Roseburg

Old 04-30-2019, 01:01 AM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
I visited both this past weekend on a trip to the Portland area. Vancouver feels much, much bigger and has a ton going on - I actually had a hard time finding a vacant spot to park.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Except for cheap houses I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want to move to Roseburg
Roseburg;
Much better weather
FRIENDLY residents
Few homeless / pan-handlers
Recreation 5 minutes away (fishing / hiking / biking)
No traffic
Little competition for jobs
Great Community College
and 'uncrowded' VA medical (If eligible)

Old 04-30-2019, 09:02 AM

10,555 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Roseburg;
Much better weather
FRIENDLY residents
No traffic
Great Community College
Interesting. These qualities could be quite valuable for many people. However, OP wanted quality restaurants, some night life, is avoiding employment and has already chosen Vancouver area.

Also, better weather in Roseburg is debatable. Not for year long living, IMO.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:59 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Roseburg;
Much better weather
FRIENDLY residents
No traffic
Great Community College
I don't agree, Roseburg is isolated, and a little creepy. I've been to lots of Walmart's but I'd never been to one like the Roseburg store where people go shopping in their pajamas and slippers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem