Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For what good cause would you be more likely to buy an outfit for?
To help an organization who spays and neutures pets. 1 33.33%
To help an adult softball team earn money for uniforms. 0 0%
To help an organization who offers recovery to those addicted to drugs. 0 0%
To help a local family in need. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:24 AM

6 posts, read 22,591 times

Advertisements

The area around Bush park is expensive, but its a good neighborhood. I've been told it gets bad close to West Salem High though. Avoid the areas around Center Street. North and East are not the best neighborhoods, although the neighborhoods near the mental hospital seem nice, esp just north and west of it. Across the bridge, the West area is supposed to be good. I was told South and West Salem were the best neighborhoods. And near the governer's mansion on the south area is also a very good neighborhood. Further south, past the governer's mansion along Commercial also seems to be a good neighborhood.

I'd suggest not renting sight unseen. There are some things to look out for, esp if you have kids. Don't rent too close to Mill Creek, make sure that your house won't flood. We saw many promising houses, but realized that they were too prone to flooding, too close to a liquor store, too near a busy road. We looked a cute place that had railroad ties, like a sidewalk of railroad ties, in the front. At first we thought it was interesting, but I heard rushing water when I got closer. It was a 'covered road'. It was very strange for us, and too scary to live near. None of this stuff ever gets mentions in any property descriptions. Its an exhausting process!

I saw several realtors, they were very good at letting us know good neighborhoods. One neighborhood area that got mixed reviews is the student housing area around Williamette University.

Most people I know do not live close to the city. They live south along River Road, or in Lancaster or West Salem and drive into the city. There are many small towns and farm areas that many people can own or rent outside of the city and drive into Salem.

I hope this was helpful and that you find a great place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 07:52 AM

10 posts, read 34,401 times
Thanks much Hailey, and I will hold onto this for future reference. My wife and I have decided to move to the Portland area--better job opp's and public transport. We'll rent for a year and then see where and what we can buy. Sorry to put you out but since Salem is booming, I'm sure others will benefit from your insights.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 10,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haileyb View Post
I've been told it gets bad close to West Salem High though.
Haileyb~ Wondering what you mean by "bad". Of the ones I know, the neighborhoods over here are nice.

Nakadai~ I think the market has tanked all over. There are houses here on the market for months, and people eventually have to take them back off the market, or take a big hit on what they'd like to get for it. Sellers are having to meet higher demands such as replacing a roof or flooring which wasn't the case a year ago. It's a logistical nightmare to find a new home and get the old one sold in time to close the deal. A lot of people are losing out on their new prospective home, and when they finally get theirs sold they rent while they shop again. It's scary ; I'll be staying put for a while!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 PM

6 posts, read 22,591 times
H0B0~I don't know what I mean by 'bad' either. I was told that by a real estate agent in Salem. Was also told that about the neighborhood near Williamette and near the mental hospital. They look fine to me. We were actually looking at a house near West Salem High at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem