Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,184 times

Advertisements

I think that income average is pretty high for Sandy. There are some high-end professionals and entrepreneurs, but I'd think around $50,000-$60,000 would be much more realistic of an expectation of household income in that area. Remember, overall the cost of living is much less in Utah. The groceries are less expensive, and taxes are MUCH less expensive so your dollar goes much further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahAdvocate View Post
I think that income average is pretty high for Sandy. There are some high-end professionals and entrepreneurs, but I'd think around $50,000-$60,000 would be much more realistic of an expectation of household income in that area. Remember, overall the cost of living is much less in Utah. The groceries are less expensive, and taxes are MUCH less expensive so your dollar goes much further.
Very true, when we moved here we were very surprised how much cheaper food is. We didn't have any Super Wal-Mart’s or Targets in our old area so those help a lot.

Plus sales tax will be about 2% less in Utah.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Plus sales tax will be about 2% less in Utah.
Is there tax on food in California ?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:37 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Is there tax on food in California ?
Hot prepared food yes but not on grocery food, unless it is considered a snack or non-exempt.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Hot prepared food yes but not on grocery food, unless it is considered a snack or non-exempt.
That was what I was trying to get at.
Even with lower sales taxes, since food, in our case is the largest expense each time we buy anything, I am not so sure if the total taxes paid is less here then anywhere else.

In the end, it is the total picture you have to look at.
Moving here, is definitively a change of life style.
Climate is another one. The people ? Oh well, as I have said many times before, you get used to everything, even hanging ...

But ...
What are you looking for ?
I do not know of any place on earth, and I have lived and worked in many places, that is Utopia.
Each place I have lived and worked, (I keep saying that, because just visiting is way different than living and working there), has a special place in my memory, because I try to remember the good times only. You want to know the bad parts, I have plenty of stories there also, but what is the use remembering those times ... ?
Today, I really would not live anywhere else but where I am now.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
But ...
What are you looking for ?
I do not know of any place on earth, and I have lived and worked in many places, that is Utopia.
Each place I have lived and worked, (I keep saying that, because just visiting is way different than living and working there), has a special place in my memory, because I try to remember the good times only. You want to know the bad parts, I have plenty of stories there also, but what is the use remembering those times ... ?
Today, I really would not live anywhere else but where I am now.
Ditto. Seriously. Ditto.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Before my spouse and I moved here 20 years ago - from Chatsworth, CA - we visited here a number of times. Skiing was the attraction and the outdoors - but also we knew we'd never be able to afford a home in Southern California and raise a family and live with some semblance of sanity. We had friends who commuted 90-120 minutes each way to work. No way to live.

We also got the Salt Lake Tribune job classifieds for almost a year before moving here. We knew the lay of the land. I landed a job within 2 months of moving (we had savings we could live on) - and my spouse hasn't had the same kind of luck -(in sales) but we've survived.

And haven't looked back at all.

I also advise coming her and familiarizing yourselves with the neighborhoods. They are different and distinct.

Also? Don't move here without either a job in hand - or serious job prospects. Every where jobs are being shed. Utah's unemployment rate isn't as high as most states - but jobs are hard to come by.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
I get a little bit of a chuckle at the $15 per hour and thinking that you could make it here-or anywhere in the US of A on that hourly rate. Belle is so right on the average comment-and I feel certain that the 80k comment must be a duel income too.
Valerie-things are more than likely better here than anywhere in California but be prepared to tough it out for awhile here too. I have a BS and an MS-and lots of other pieces of paper hanging on the wall- and am getting along on a seasonal job that gets me about 20 per hour and all the skiing I want-but I could not live here if the Mr did not have the "good" job....
this is the dumbest thing i have read. you must have some serious spending habits to feel that single person couldnt make it in SLC on $15/hr. They would do just fine. And everyone is making assumptions about these people. honestly i think it depends on what kinds of jobs you two are looking for, how much experience you have, what kinds of skills you can offer, and education possibly too. And yeah i'd say it probably helped that your friend was LDS and probably had connections that way. Are you LDS? That too might shape how you like SLC. Are you ok living in higher crime rate areas? Because those are much cheaper than the nicer areas (like anywhere). Do you have any contacts/connections here? And to answer your last question, i have personally never heard of the temp agency remedy.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:49 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
We moved here twenty years ago. My first job paid $25K a year with benefits. Hubby has struggled to find consistent work - electronics sales is not consistent. He currently is unemployed - and way beyond his UI checks so we go it alone on my salary which is now $45K with benefits.

He has the degree - I do not.

How have we made it work? Well, for one, we do not have children. Yes, they are expensive. It was a choice made for us (medical issues). But we declined to get on the adoption merrygoround as we didn't want to be 60 with a 15 year old. Also - at the time - adoption was too expensive (25-50K) We also knew we could not afford kids on one income.

Additionally? We came to Utah with enough money (5% down) for a downpayment on a house. What a concept. We waited 3 years before buying - and even then it was with trepidation - because hubby was nowhere from being in a stable employment situation. But we bought when the market here was waaay undervalued. So over the course of 5 years - our equity ballooned. So we traded up (starter home had no garage and was becoming a moneypit) we bought our second home - after 5 years. We have now been homeowners for 17 years. Our first home cost $92K. The value of our current home is about $270K. We have superb credit - so our mortgage is $482. A month.

Yes, we bought early and when prices were low. But prices (and interest rates) are STILL low here. If you have good credit - and a sizeable down payment - buying a home is truly the best investment you will ever make.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:09 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,438 times
So my "serious" spending habits on the $15/20 per hour include crazy things like, hmm, paying into state and federal taxes, health insurance, mortgage or rent payments, insurance on home/contents, utilities, groceries and saving for the golden years. Thanks goodness I paid my way through college and I do not have student loans. Call me crazy Mr Creeks but $15 an hour is like $12 bring home and not real easy to do in SLC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area