Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,835 times

Advertisements

is it really that bad? do you still live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 04:55 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmernxx View Post
is it really that bad? do you still live there?

They hadn't moved here, they were asking if it was a bad idea, not making a statement.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,538 times
I moved to Utah two months ago from New York and am so glad I did. Like you, I didn't want to spend the money to fly out before the actual move. So I had the movers put my stuff in storage at home for a month while I drove out by car to see if I would like Utah as much as I thought. They said the would adjust the cost of my move if I changed the location later. So worst case, I could change my mind and have my stuff shipped somewhere else. It gave me the freedom to make just one trip. And I was able to find several temporary furnished places until I needed my actual furniture and settled into a permanent home.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Welcome. Glad things worked out for you and your move.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 PM

140 posts, read 333,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Valerie,

If you'll pardon me what I seem to be hearing is that you posted here and don't particularly like the advice your getting. Its your life and you are free to make your own decisions. Those of who live here are familiar with the economy. I'm a native and I've been here almost all my fifty years. The advice you are getting about visiting and securing employment before you move is good solid advice. For that matter, it would be good advice whether you were moving to Utah or Uzbekistan.

The 7.3% unemployment rate here doesn't tell the whole story. Unemployment rates only measure those actively out there seeking employment. In Utah, you have kind of a dynamic at work where women who could be working will choose to stay home with their kids when the economy is bleak and this doesn't show up in the numbers. You're also more likely to have young people in the 18-21 year old group who could be working, but will choose to just go to college when the economy is bad and live at home.

Utah is famous for low wages. My wife started an RN position with the county health department in the 1980's for about $10 an hour. Health Educators with a BS Degree today start at about $15.80 an hour at the same department. Bear in mind, these are people with a 4 year college degree in a specific field of employment. The department can get 20 to 25 applicants for each opening when it advertises one.

I'd encourage you to do what the others here suggest. It may save you alot of heartache down the road.
I agree with this post fully. If you want to keep an eye on things from Riverside you can go to ksl.com and research housing, jobs, etc.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
I had never been to northern, SLC, Utah before we moved. We had been to the nat'l parks to the south. I moved, hubby bought our house, 'blind'. And I'm a controlling type A. Lol I forced hubby for a 'move back' date. It came and went, and we have NO desire to move back to Ohio from Utah. We love it here.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 AM

13 posts, read 38,539 times
Am going to jump into this thread, I have already accepted a job at HAFB making around 50K starting out, Wanting to move myself, But am thinking hard wether its a good move for my family or not I have two teenager nearing the start of there lives on there own, There age is really taking a toll on me to uproot everything they know about central Kentucky. I`ll be fine, My wife also works for the Army, She can get a transfer job in a year. This schools, the crime, the long winters, All playing with me. My house is now paid for here. And then I`ll have to sell, we all know the market is down. Then have to buy again, then proably have another house payment, Am starting to think of not moving. But when I get laid off in Ky, which looks to be around Sept, if I stay then we have no insurance, But if I take a job at hill which is a perament position, Then my health insuraqnce is still good. Hell then I still having a tough time figuring out to move and then bring the family out next spring when there back out of school again for the summer. Someone please put your input in for me.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastrx7 View Post
Am going to jump into this thread, I have already accepted a job at HAFB making around 50K starting out, Wanting to move myself, But am thinking hard wether its a good move for my family or not I have two teenager nearing the start of there lives on there own, There age is really taking a toll on me to uproot everything they know about central Kentucky. I`ll be fine, My wife also works for the Army, She can get a transfer job in a year. This schools, the crime, the long winters, All playing with me. My house is now paid for here. And then I`ll have to sell, we all know the market is down. Then have to buy again, then proably have another house payment, Am starting to think of not moving. But when I get laid off in Ky, which looks to be around Sept, if I stay then we have no insurance, But if I take a job at hill which is a perament position, Then my health insuraqnce is still good. Hell then I still having a tough time figuring out to move and then bring the family out next spring when there back out of school again for the summer. Someone please put your input in for me.
Very tough situation. We moved from NE Ohio, and have NO desire to move back to Ohio. We did, but not now.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
Very tough situation. We moved from NE Ohio, and have NO desire to move back to Ohio. We did, but not now.
I'm curious as to how long it took for you to start liking living here? And how did the change come about?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm curious as to how long it took for you to start liking living here? And how did the change come about?
It took a couple years. Hubby had promised a move back time. We talked about ways to each time we went to Ohio until 2009. We hadn't been to Ohio before since dec 07. In 2009 it just looked, old, run down, dirty, smokey, just not what I love about Utah.

Sure, I have lots of friends in Utah (and friends and family in Ohio, plus wva and pa that beg us to come back) . I honestly think it was more of a neighborhood 'coming out' and we just feel so good here. When I hurt my hand, my ward showed up with all sorts of meals, and cleaning help. It just brought me to tears the love and care, and I'm not LDS. It doesn't matter. We are very active in our ward. Hubby plays basketball every week at the local stake church, he rides mountain bikes each Saturday with 2 guys from our ward, and one guy from our own catholic church. These guys have a blast riding. we do scouts with our local church, I go to some relief society meetings when I feel like it. I love the family feel of it. I routinely sit outside with my neighbor, and we are joined by 1, 2, or more mommy friends, just to BS. lol

I just love our neighborhood. It's hard to fully explain. I love to talk, so, the more ladies I have to vent with about 'life', ie, right now, parenting, and knowing they go through the same stuff, it's just a blessing. just the thoughtfulness. When I was hurt, my neighbors were there, when our kids did a bake sale to raise $$$ for primary children's, our neighbors are there. Heck, if I need a can of soup, I'll find it at one of my neighbors. I had 2 guys in our hood take time out of their day to come say a blessing the night before I had my hand surgery.

Just to come home to Utah and have kids running up to our car as we pull in the driveway to play with ours, parents expressing happiness to have us home, and sympathy that we lost a loved one. I've grown to love hearing, and saying 'you're fine'. not having to breath smoke everywhere I go, not seeing underwear from saggy pants all the time, not seeing 'it all' hang out. It's just nice. I know we live in a 'bubble', but I still love it. Just me.

Please, please, no flames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area