Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 AM

18 posts, read 92,218 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are 95% sure Utah would be a good place for our family to live. We do have a few little fears, as we have never lived out of CA. We understand there will be snow but lots of Utah people survive in it every year so it cant be that bad. Finding good jobs is our main concern and secondly finding affordable apartments (to rent for now) and housing (to buy a place later).

We orginally planned to fly out and spend a week there before moving. But with the cost of the plane tickets for the family and the rental car for the week and the hotel cost and food its going to cost a lot for that trip. We talked about just going for a weekend but dont feel thats enough time to check out all of Sandy/Salt Lake City area and everything we wanted to see. If we take this trip and decide we are 100% sure about SLC/Utah then it will take us twice as long to save up the money to move (after spending $$$ on the trip).

We want to move within the next 6 months and are considering just moving there without visiting first. We know it will be cold in the winter and hot in the summer and will have to buy new clothes for these seasons most likely. We are aware of inversions or have heard a little bit about them at least. We would like to just move there and pay our first and last month's rent on an apartment and a deposit and then go to a temp agency and find ASAP work in the meantime. Once we both have money coming in we can look for better or more long term jobs. Do you think this is a really bad idea? We are paying a lot on rent right now here in CA and my husband cant find work with our high unemployment rate (12%).

Can anyone (Utah residents) tell us anything we might need to know before we move? Anything we will need before we come? We have all-weather tires on the car that are about a year old. Will we need to buy new tires/snow tires in order to drive in the winter? Also can anyone tell me what the pet laws are in UT? How many pets are you allowed to own? Has anyone heard of Remedy Temp Agency? Is it any good?? Thank you.

Valerie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM

835 posts, read 2,075,799 times
As much as I enjoy it here, I would not make a move to Utah, or anywhere for that matter, without visiting first. I also would not come here without having employment secured. The unemployment rate may be lower than where you are now but finding a job that pays more than minimum wage is tough. The cost of living is goin up and it is hard to make ends meet here due to lower pay. Having pets throws another unknown into the rental situation Big risk in my opinion-unless it is just the 2 of you.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 PM

47 posts, read 151,442 times
I moved to Utah without visiting first....but I had a job already secured. We left ca for the same reasons as you-high cost of living, bad schools. crowded cities, etc.

Would I have moved without a job first---nope! It mat be harder to find a rental to live in unless you have a job first.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
In SLC itself, you are limited to 2 dogs. In the unincorporated area of SLCo, you can have 3 dogs if at least 1 is from a rescue/shelter.No BSL in SLC, some suburbs may have them.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,207,727 times
Take a drive out, it is abou twice as far as vegas for you. I just drove back from CA today.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Not a good idea to move to any area with no job.

( especially an area you have never been to)

Old 06-19-2010, 12:42 PM

18 posts, read 92,218 times
So almost every job in Utah pays minimum wage even if you have lots of experience or schooling?? My friend moved there two years ago (without visiting first) and she went to Remedy temp agenecy and they got her a job that same week for $15/hour. Were things just better two years ago??

Old 06-19-2010, 12:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieOfRiverside View Post
So almost every job in Utah pays minimum wage even if you have lots of experience or schooling?? My friend moved there two years ago (without visiting first) and she went to Remedy temp agenecy and they got her a job that same week for $15/hour. Were things just better two years ago??
Probably. Things have been bad the last 2 yrs everywhere.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:05 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieOfRiverside View Post

--------Were things just better two years ago ??---

Your question floors me !

Unless someone was stranded on some remote island, I believe they would know the answer.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:56 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Valerie,

If you'll pardon me what I seem to be hearing is that you posted here and don't particularly like the advice your getting. Its your life and you are free to make your own decisions. Those of who live here are familiar with the economy. I'm a native and I've been here almost all my fifty years. The advice you are getting about visiting and securing employment before you move is good solid advice. For that matter, it would be good advice whether you were moving to Utah or Uzbekistan.

The 7.3% unemployment rate here doesn't tell the whole story. Unemployment rates only measure those actively out there seeking employment. In Utah, you have kind of a dynamic at work where women who could be working will choose to stay home with their kids when the economy is bleak and this doesn't show up in the numbers. You're also more likely to have young people in the 18-21 year old group who could be working, but will choose to just go to college when the economy is bad and live at home.

Utah is famous for low wages. My wife started an RN position with the county health department in the 1980's for about $10 an hour. Health Educators with a BS Degree today start at about $15.80 an hour at the same department. Bear in mind, these are people with a 4 year college degree in a specific field of employment. The department can get 20 to 25 applicants for each opening when it advertises one.

I'd encourage you to do what the others here suggest. It may save you alot of heartache down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area