Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:37 PM

602 posts, read 1,873,178 times

Advertisements

It has definitely been more difficult to make friends here than I would have anticipated and I believe it's for exactly the same reasons as you mentioned in your original post. People who have similar beliefs and lifestyles are going to spend more time together than people who are opposite. As an example, pretty much all of the friends I've made here (except for office friends) are transplants from various parts of the country and non-LDS. We moved here in September and we didn't really start making friends until April or so. People just kind of go into hibernation in the wintertime and are generally more outgoing and friendly when it starts to warm up. I think it is possible to make friends here, but IMO it takes more work than it would take somewhere else to do so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
If you're connected to the university, you'll have no problem finding like-minded individuals. We are very liberal - my husband a native Los Angelean, and I, from Madison, WI. My first job was at the U of U. I stayed there for almost 9 years.

You'll connect with people from all over the country - and even the world. I actually enjoyed making work friendships with the locals. They helped me integrate immensely.

And - I swear - every person on campus who lived in Wisconsin? I met. Hah!~ Seriously, there are campus activities and student/faculty get-togethers - esp. at the graduate level that will be most helpful to you.

Last edited by mlb; 07-01-2010 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: added a sentence for clarity

Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 AM

14 posts, read 53,071 times
Default moved to Utah

Stay around SLC.
We are conservative libertarians and the situation is the same for us..
Hope this helps.....we moved to Salt Lake City from Florida in November. My husband was offered and excellent job in SLC...he liked the mountains and so we moved.
We finally bought a house in Farmington....he is retired AF and the base in near.
Also the Legacy highway is very easy to drive to work on, brings him from home to job with little traffic, no accidents.
My husband loves his job and the company, a very good situation for him.
For me it has been harder.....Farmington is beautiful and everyone is very nice here......but not being LDS is a big consideration for me.
My neighbors are mostly LDS and are very nice, very good ppl, but as other posts have said they are very involved in their own community etc....and that is fine and very good for them......but it is lonely for a new person.....my husband and I are not big church goers and do like a little wine now and then.
We love good food and if we want any have to go to SLC......Which by the way is a great city.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HildaROTB View Post
Stay around SLC.
We are conservative libertarians and the situation is the same for us..
Hope this helps.....we moved to Salt Lake City from Florida in November. My husband was offered and excellent job in SLC...he liked the mountains and so we moved.
We finally bought a house in Farmington....he is retired AF and the base in near.
Also the Legacy highway is very easy to drive to work on, brings him from home to job with little traffic, no accidents.
My husband loves his job and the company, a very good situation for him.
For me it has been harder.....Farmington is beautiful and everyone is very nice here......but not being LDS is a big consideration for me.
My neighbors are mostly LDS and are very nice, very good ppl, but as other posts have said they are very involved in their own community etc....and that is fine and very good for them......but it is lonely for a new person.....my husband and I are not big church goers and do like a little wine now and then.
We love good food and if we want any have to go to SLC......Which by the way is a great city.
Hilda, I feel for you. You sound like a genuinely nice person. I hope things get better for you and that you and your husband will soon be able to make friends with people you are comfortable with socially. It must be hard. Hang in there.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
I moved here last weekend for a job I accepted... have yet to transplat the family as am still house shopping. Just thought I'd pass along some pieces of advice I've picked up...Best day to home shop is Sunday. If you see a bunch of people outside mowing their lawns, a busy grocery store or shopping mall, or just other general activity... you're probably in a more liberal area. Unfortunately (joking here people), LDS don't hang signs on their doors so that's the easiest way to get a feel for how "LDS" a neighborhood you're considering is.After buying a home... you may consider having your husband go outside on a Sunday morning with a cold beer and mow his lawn... those that glare at you probably aren't people you're going to be friends with... others who smile or nod at you might be worth introducing yourselves to. This was an approach actually recommended to me by one of the guys who interviewed me... have got to love ex-military types Frankly... as a liberal... I'm a bit surprised by your hesitations... it would seem you are similar to the LDS in many ways. Their lives and conversations seem to revolve heavily around their religion... yours likely revolve heavily around your political beliefs. It would seem you'd understand how that works and be able to adapt to that sort of situation. My fear in coming out here is being what I consider normal... my life and conversations do not revolve around religion, politics, or money... all things of a tabboo nature where I was raised... they revolve around how your day at work was, your summer vacation plans, how the kids are doing, and who the Vikings whooped last Sunday. My fear is being able to integrate into a situation where someone's who life and reason for being seems to revolve around a single thing... and that would be the same whether it be any religion... or any political view... that's just not how I'm made up.
Grrrr... there are paragraphs there... really there are... but it's refusing to show the hard enters... sorry for the readability.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
I moved here last weekend for a job I accepted... have yet to transplat the family as am still house shopping. Just thought I'd pass along some pieces of advice I've picked up...Best day to home shop is Sunday. If you see a bunch of people outside mowing their lawns, a busy grocery store or shopping mall, or just other general activity... you're probably in a more liberal area. Unfortunately (joking here people), LDS don't hang signs on their doors so that's the easiest way to get a feel for how "LDS" a neighborhood you're considering is.After buying a home... you may consider having your husband go outside on a Sunday morning with a cold beer and mow his lawn... those that glare at you probably aren't people you're going to be friends with... others who smile or nod at you might be worth introducing yourselves to. This was an approach actually recommended to me by one of the guys who interviewed me... have got to love ex-military types Frankly... as a liberal... I'm a bit surprised by your hesitations... it would seem you are similar to the LDS in many ways. Their lives and conversations seem to revolve heavily around their religion... yours likely revolve heavily around your political beliefs. It would seem you'd understand how that works and be able to adapt to that sort of situation. My fear in coming out here is being what I consider normal... my life and conversations do not revolve around religion, politics, or money... all things of a tabboo nature where I was raised... they revolve around how your day at work was, your summer vacation plans, how the kids are doing, and who the Vikings whooped last Sunday. My fear is being able to integrate into a situation where someone's who life and reason for being seems to revolve around a single thing... and that would be the same whether it be any religion... or any political view... that's just not how I'm made up.
Grrrr... there are paragraphs there... really there are... but it's refusing to show the hard enters... sorry for the readability.
In my square (we live in a house with a shared lawn) we have 8 families, 3 are LDS including our next door neighbor. All of my conversations are about kids, family, yard work, other neighbors, health, vacations and Christmas lights. As close as I have ever come with having a religion conversation with him or any other LDS neighbor is when I saw his food storage and he said, “you will never need to worry about going hungry around here if something happens.”

When I brought my bloody marry to the memorial day BBQ in the next square everyone treated me fine and the conversation was about hiring, the community etc. even though I later asked how some of the people knew each other and it was due to going to the same church. NO religion was discussed then also.

I just don’t get the worry.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Just thought I'd pass along some pieces of advice I've picked up...Best day to home shop is Sunday. If you see a bunch of people outside mowing their lawns, a busy grocery store or shopping mall, or just other general activity... you're probably in a more liberal area. Unfortunately (joking here people), LDS don't hang signs on their doors so that's the easiest way to get a feel for how "LDS" a neighborhood you're considering is.After buying a home... you may consider having your husband go outside on a Sunday morning with a cold beer and mow his lawn... those that glare at you probably aren't people you're going to be friends with... others who smile or nod at you might be worth introducing yourselves to.
That is SO true!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
I live in the "open-minded, liberal" Sugarhouse...I have been living on my street for over a year and I still have to meet/have a conversation with my next door neighbors...Yes, we mow our lawn on Sunday and we have a glass of wine or a cocktail on our front porch. We do ski/snowboard on Sundays...People can tell we are not Mormons...All it takes is not showing up the first few Sundays at their ward...Mormons are polite but VERY exclusive...

Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMa0214 View Post
I have been living on my street for over a year and I still have to meet/have a conversation with my next door neighbors...
Have you tried *initiating* a conversation ????

Interaction is a two way street !!!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMa0214 View Post
All it takes is not showing up the first few Sundays at their ward...Mormons are polite but VERY exclusive...
How do you know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area