Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering move to Salt Lake City, Utah, black Mormon female from the Caribbean, University of Utah accounting programs, interracial marriages, discrimination

Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,878 times

Advertisements

I am a single black female from the Caribbean. I am also Mormon and I am thinking about moving to Utah. I have been reading the comments on this website and I am getting discouraged. I was under the impression that being a Mormon in Utah could be the best thing for me. There are more options for marrying a good mormon man and having a good wholesome marriage and life. I am not saying that I think marriage is easy but at least I will be in a community of people who shares the same faith as I and understand and value the sanctity of marriage. I have just graduated with a bachelors degree in Accounting and will soon be pursuing a Master's degree in Taxation. I am the worst example of the black stereotype as I have never been around people who may be mistaken as such. What are my chances at being happy in SLC? Are there prejudice in getting employment at the big 4 accounting firms? What about housing prejudices? And prejudices in not being single anymore? I would love to hear comments from as many people as possible. Hopefully, I will hear from unmarried Mormon women of all races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 06:24 PM

129 posts, read 515,405 times
Sorry you've been disuaded by comments made on this board, but, in some cases, consider the source! Come on over and see for yourself. Good people are always welcome, no matter their color, place of origin, or even religion. However, please be advised that Utah is not paradise (or even close, even if you are LDS) and you may run into the same kinds of ignorance here you'd run into anywhere else; but then again, maybe not as the majority of people are kind!

My best advice (and I give it to everyone who asks if they'll be happy in Utah), is to come here for a couple of weeks (or months) and look around for yourself before making any hurried decision that will affect you're future. Come, meet the people, see the territory and the geography and climate (it's nothing like the Carribean!), go on a job-search, attend church, go to a sporting event or concert, mingle a little---and then you'll have a better idea of whether or not you'll be happy here.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,298 times
I think you would be fine. I think this whole “discrimination” has been overblown by a few. There are not tons of LDS black people here, if you are set on marrying within your race. But believe it or not, bi-racial marriages are ok here. There were more LDS Blacks in Washington DC and North Carolina when I was there. The University of Utah has a good Masters of Accountancy program with lots of tax courses. I can vouch that you would be treated quite well up there.

I do not think you would have any discrimination when applying for jobs with the Big 4 firms or other large companies. One of my favorite students to work with during my MBA program at the U was an Indian female. She wasn’t even a citizen, and she was really in demand by several companies because she was so sharp.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 PM

347 posts, read 1,566,869 times
If you are Mormon and single I would definitely recommend Utah! There are not a ton of black people here, but I think it's not because they aren't welcomed. Most people I know are not at all racist.
I don't know how old you are, but I happen to know several great LDS divorced guys in their 30's. I think there are a lot of possibilies around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: