Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,619 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking to open up an independent film studio possibly in Salt Lake City. I have a few questions I was hoping to get input on.

Does the community get along with local filmmakers or are they annoyed?
How are the local movie theatres? Stadium Seating? Chains?
How do Action,Horror, or rated R movies do in Salt Lake City? Or do they cause controversy?

Thanks in advance for answering any of the above questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 03:20 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,378 times
Well... most of my friends who live in SLC, really like it when the Sundance Film Festival roles around. I can't speak for the majority of people, but I know they love independant films.

As for R rated films.... it is a personal preference really. I know many people who don't care about ratings, I know some people who will not watch R rated. I think you will have better luck in SLC... than in Utah Valley, that is for sure. I think you are more likely to cause controversy about an R rated flick in Utah, than in other states... but I wouldn't worry about it too much. In my opinion... if a film causes controversy... then the name is out there... so that can't be a bad thing for any film maker. If people are talking... then people will be curious... and the film will be watched.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,418 times
My husband is in the filmmaking industry here in SLC, and he says that there is a lot of support for local filmamkers. Also, you don't have to pay sales tax on equipment you will be using for producing anything for commercial distribution. There's also lots of cheap subcontract labor (editors, camera people, etc). The filmmaking community is pretty supportive and close-knit here, in a good way.
Rated R movies are not a big issue here.
Most of the local theatres are national chains (Cinemark and Century). Megaplex Theatres (owned by Larry H. Miller) are local and are the nicest theatres, I think. Most of the local theatres are very nice (stadium seating, etc.)

Old 08-01-2008, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,511 times
Default Motion picture and audio production studio in Utah

In July 2008, Commonwealth Partners LLC; a working group of five community leaders in film, audio, marketing, media and strategy, collaborated to plan the building of a motion picture production studio and post production studio in Ogden, Utah.

We would like your input. A facility like this cannot be built without industry support. Your interest in a Northern Utah studio is greatly needed. In order to gain the remaining funding needed, adequate interest must be fostered within the film making and audio production communities in favor of this project. Please take a moment and fill out the online survey. Thanks again for your support.

[url=http://www.eSurveysPro.com/Survey.aspx?id=4095c1af-5b54-47f8-ab82-47334a5f673b]Northern Utah Motion Picture Studio Online Survey - Survey powered by eSurveysPro.com[/url]

More info
[url]www.flyingcoconutfilms.com[/url]

Denver

Old 08-01-2008, 08:08 PM

78 posts, read 291,375 times
The link to the survey doesn't work, however I fixed it. If anyone is interested this link does work.

Northern Utah Motion Picture Studio Online Survey - Survey powered by eSurveysPro.com

I for one am very intrigued by this.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:54 AM

550 posts, read 2,169,000 times
Having an R-rated movie here is as normal as air. No one cares. Of course, Larry Miller had the whole fiasco with Brokeback Mountain, but as long as your movie doesn't feature gay cowboys you're good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area