U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 09:29 PM

8 posts, read 39,902 times

Advertisements

Hi- My husband may be taking a job as a VP for a homebuilder in Salt Lake City Area. We are clueless about neighborhoods to live in. We are heading out there on Thursday to check out school and neighborhoods. I don't want to offend anyone b/c I don't care what religion you are, but some of the people in the company told my husband to be sure to check out the neighborhoods and make sure that they aren't predominatly LDS. We are Methodist and can get along w/ anyone no matter what their religion is. My concern is my 3 kids and school. Can anyone help me by telling names of the most diverse neighborhoods? It looks like a wonderful state and I can't wait to visit next week. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:43 PM

668 posts, read 525,166 times
You should have no problem in SLC with the religion thing...

Sorry, can't help you out with the more diverse neighborhoods, but it's nothing to check out anyway.. SLC is diverse.. You'll love it...

Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 PM

Trebek- I noticed in another thread that you are a teacher in Texas. That is another concern of mine. We plan to move out there before school starts. I would like to begin teaching this year if possible. Have you had any luck searching for jobs? What about obtaining your Utah teaching certification? Any info will help. I am certified in 9 different areas in Texas. I plan to choose about 3 areas to obtain certification in Utah. Good luck on your move!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:39 AM

30 posts, read 182,212 times
Wink So, you're moving to Utah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by la7071 View Post
Hi- My husband may be taking a job as a VP for a homebuilder in Salt Lake City Area. We are clueless about neighborhoods to live in. We are heading out there on Thursday to check out school and neighborhoods. I don't want to offend anyone b/c I don't care what religion you are, but some of the people in the company told my husband to be sure to check out the neighborhoods and make sure that they aren't predominatly LDS. We are Methodist and can get along w/ anyone no matter what their religion is. My concern is my 3 kids and school. Can anyone help me by telling names of the most diverse neighborhoods? It looks like a wonderful state and I can't wait to visit next week. Thanks.
As a non-Mormon who lived in Mormonland for over 20 years, most of those years were school-age, you are right to be concerned about the area you go to.

Some areas can have a stronger Mormon community with some Mormon members who are very prejustice against Non-Mormons. They can make life miserable. Speaking from personal experience & that of friends.

THIS IS NOT REFLECTIVE OF EVERY MORMON PERSON OR NEIGHBORHOODS!

In my experience and now my friend's children's experience in the schools and neighborhoods, we were discriminated against for not being LDS. Kids weren't allowed to play with us, weren't allowed to invite us to parties, teachers can even be prejustice, etc. etc. It is very important that you check things out beforehand. While my cousins who are school age now have absolutely no problems with their Mormon friends. So it can vary from place to place. (I'm not dropping city names because it's not near SLC).

Overall, most areas are easy to live and pleasant without any religious conflict or prejustice. Everyone lives happily as helpful friends and neighbors. I was lucky to have lived in a neighborhood like that in adulthood. The people were wonderful! All my best friends are strong Mormon and absolutely unjudgemental and wonderful! I left UT for a job opportunity too. We are considering returning in the near future.

I would suggest calling the Methodist church there. Get info from someone who actually lives there in neighborhoods you've scoped out. Ask to talk to any of the womens groups there. Other Moms will understand where you're coming from. Because I don't know the areas in SLC well enough, I'm not commenting on them.

Also, ask about the gang activity and meth problems. Some areas in Utah have been very badly effected by these things. You may even talk to some local police depts in the area.

I do think it's a great place to raise kids. Kids aren't exposed to as much of the damaging things of the world depending on their choice of friends and other factors, of course. Utah does its best to shelter the bad out of their communities as much as they can. They believe in family and how important it is.

However, the schools are crowded. When looking in certain areas I'd look at the class sizes and whether they have a lot of modulars outside being used as classrooms. When you see those their budget is low and they are overcrowded. Read the local papers online about the schools.

I HATE the TAXES there. It eats away at your paychecks. But if your spouse and yourself have good jobs it probably won't effect you much.

The mountains and scenery are absolutely beautiful! The wintery gray skies can become depressing, but I love the white Christmas'. Seeing the lights in downtown SLC near the temple. It's lovely! During holidays you can always find a parade!

There's a ton to do from hiking, rafting, camping, swimming, biking, skiing, etc. Everything is available. You'll never get bored!

I hope I've answered some questions. I'm sorry I couldn't give you more details about the cities. But if you do find a place that is interesting to you and want more input please let me know. I'll be happy to respond!

God Bless & Have a Safe Move!

*GypsyLee*

Old 06-23-2007, 09:24 AM

Smile Thanks

Gypsylee-

Thanks so much for all of your info. We plan to go to the Methodist church when we are down there Thursday and find out where everyone lives. My only concern is the safety and happiness of my kids. My husband and I can get along with anyone, but I don't want people to treat my kids poorly.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2007, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,460 times
HI

Been reading these forums for a few weeks and thought Id say HI :-p HI.

As for this Non mormom/morman thing,Its been years since Ive lived there allmost 20,I loved my Childhood there,Hiking,MotoX,River running,4 wheeling and camping.

I lived in a small town had to get bussed to school,where I lived was most Navajo Indian ,as a Non indian I had some trouble,had some has a Non morman,my childhood was in a constant struggle to survive the Indians and the Mormans,while I did have these struggles,I did have some Indian friends as well as Mormon friends.

I had a 52 mile buss ride to school,every morning was like a 50/50 chance I would have to FIGHT for a seat and I mean FIGHT or I had stand all the way to school,1.5 hour buss ride,when young was times I did stand ,Indians took that as a weekness,so I learned I had to FIGHT ,so I fought,made things easier,got their respect,was still days I had fight for a seat ,but Older I got it became rare,soon I had a seat ,was mine and nobody was ever in it,every day that seat was empty.

Would get to school and head to my locker and get pushed ,bumped into and insulted daily by my Morman school mates,took this for a few years as well,was the 70s so my friends and I were Long hairs,we would get harassed daily unless we where in a group all 13 of us ,anyless say 1 to 3,we would be bullied,I once had the ENTIRE football team chase me through the halls,yelling and threating to Cut my hair off,but if I was to confront these fools on a 1 to 1 they wouldnt harrass me in anyway let alone try Cut my hair,So i did what I did with the Indians ,I wanted in the main area where the ELITE kids hung out ,see my group a friends couldnt be in this area if we where they would form up and push us out,I stood off to the side waited for the group of Football players to come take their social spots to try look cool and when they were all together I walked up to the guy that seemed be the one wanted cut my hair the most,2 Xs as big as me I asked "Hey you still feel like giveing me a hair cut" and I swung ,sure :-P he whupped my butt,but I hurt him and that was all i wanted to do,I got kicked outta school,not him or his friends for chaseing me with a knife,but me because I clocked their star football player and a Bishops son,but I never had any trouble again,they would clear a walk way for me

Never went any dances,as who would dance with me,never asked a girl out as who would goe out with me,I played in the High school Band,we would take trips sometimes and I would have a seat to myself,had have a room with a Teacher,if was a overnight thing as nobody would be seen with me,ate by my self when on these trips,hell LOL I wouldnt even play my instrument on thses trips I would just set and hold my horn,Band teacher was LOVED by all his students and was very kind to them untill came to me ,rude and arrogant,same as the High school princple I couldnt speak on my behave at any time ,I was automatically wrong due to I was the Non morman and I was going against their flow,I made the trouble due to my Long hair,due to my not being a Morman.

I did have 1 Date,she was 2 years older and I drove 300 miles to take her to my High school prom(so dosent classifie as a High school date as didnt attend the school at the time) ,:-P I had moved away and I wanted to attend my High schools prom,yes MY High school no matter what was ever done to me I claim that school and still love my life there,would change NOTHING if I had too,would like them to have changed and so yes saying that I would change as well I suppose,but I woiuld relive it again if I had too and with no complaints,Funny to :-P to this day that young mormon girl Is my 1 true love ,lost contacted with her as I think she loved me as much,but I wouldnt convert and her dream was to be married In the Mormon tabernacle,so we went our seperate ways ,I browse the internet about all things Utah ,with her in my mind 20 some odd years later,hence how I found this forum

I was a upper class child ,I owned 3 horse's,a pet Bull,2 dirtbikes,by time was 16 had a 65 chevy suburban,with as good a soundsystem you could get at the time,rims a very nice truck,nicer than any at my school, money in my pockets at all times,Parents owned a Resturant,Bar and Motel,I worked in a Gas station pumpming gas,changeing oil and fixing tires,as well as in my parents buisness.BUT yet I was the lessor person due to being Non morman.

Now :-P with all that said,give ya a idea how I felt about about being Non morman in a very MORMAN area ,this was NOT SLC was way down in southern Utah,In GODs country the most Beautiful land ever to be seen, I have roamed more lonely canyons,chased wild burros,hunted deer,trapped varmits,followed a lonely trail on Dirtbike or 4 wheel drive,seen native indain dances before they became a spectacle,pannned for gold,Ive seen graves indian and white that some folks dont even no exist,strange writtings on rock walls,have confronted wild creatures,human and animal.

I have been back since I left to visit and while some still fear me,yes I said FEAR,I now see I wasnt disliked for being a Non morman ,I was feared,not is a sence Im going to hurt anyone,but in the sence I was of a different belief pattern than they had/have,but those few I had struggles with as a Child ,we have grown up and the times have changed ,Im not welcome when I go home,yes HOME, but I am not unwelcome either, I get smiles and some even say Hey WOW I havent seen you in years! How doing,married ,have kids ,what kind work do you do and the normal pleasentries,while others still look at me the same as they did then,to them I just smile and call them by name and say HI,if the dont speak ,its no skin of my back,I can forgive.

Point to this whole ramble is if you want move to Utah dont make it a religious issue,dont let the few hard case's make it bad for you,in most cases folks are decent,In a whole the Morman religion has some very good points,I like the family values,health concerns,but move there cause you want to and enjoy the country,as stated above this IS GODS COUNTRY you will find none more beautiful,weather it be the dessert,the Mountains or the valleys in between,move there because you want to,it isnt alike it was for me as a child I belive as a whole the religion thing is mute anymore,to many wars over it,to many missed friendships,I am not a religous person,due to how I was raised ,But I am spirital,a little from the Mormons,little from the Navajo and some Learning of the bible ,do I belive in a GOD not sure yet ,but do know I love Utah,so move there if you want, take the good and the bad ,make it yours,Hold it ,remember it.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:20 AM

668 posts, read 525,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la7071 View Post
Trebek- I noticed in another thread that you are a teacher in Texas. That is another concern of mine. We plan to move out there before school starts. I would like to begin teaching this year if possible. Have you had any luck searching for jobs? What about obtaining your Utah teaching certification? Any info will help. I am certified in 9 different areas in Texas. I plan to choose about 3 areas to obtain certification in Utah. Good luck on your move!
If you are certified in 9 areas you shouldn't have a problem, but look now!
They seem to have quite a few openings in SPED, ESL, and general Elementary. Look up "Utah charter schools" on a search engine, because Utah's charter system is much more happenin' than Texas's. In Utah, they have charter schools in most areas, and many are suited to a professional idea.
This is so cool. If your child lives near SLC and wants to study film-making or the high tech field there will be a school for him/her. They have charter schools with many different focuses and they support themselves with your childs individual state funding. Sort of like the voucher system, but instead of taking money away from public schools, it seems to ease the growing pains and takes much of the pressure off schools to enlarge quickly, which my current school is suffering from.

Utah schools pay about $1500 less per year on average, but the quality of students, being more likely to enjoy parental support, will be much greater. Just a guess. Utah pays 3 to 4 grand less per childs' education, but outscores us on the SAT. I hear classes are overcrowded but for me...What else is new?

Please hang out there in Utah for a while before you commit, I've been hangin' around for a few weeks in the cyber sense, but will be there physically in a few days, to check things out. Overall. I think it's going to be good. I've met a few with agendas on this board, and some who want to run everything, but thats to be expected. Most folks on this board are pretty cool. Forget about the LDS thang, they are way more laid back than other protestant Texas groups. I think you will enjoy it. Plus, they sell beer in every county! What more can you ask!!

Please let me know if there is any way I can be of help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or