U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 5,043 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Very first post here - happy to have found this place.

I work for a UK student tour operator that has brought between 20-40 groups of high-school aged students to ski in Utah for over 10 years now. We also bring approximately 60-80 groups each year to other North American ski destinations. We are going strong, with another great year coming up.

Part of my job is to source and secure new activity and restaurant options for our groups to enjoy during their trips. I have had fairly good success doing so using only the internet and contacts at local Convention and Visitors' Bureaus, but I've decided it's time to take it up a notch by getting in touch with people who actually live in the area.

A bit about us - We are proud to be one of the highest-quality UK student group tour operators. Our trips are not cheap, and our clients expect a high level of personalized service, right down to the individual activities we offer them as optional extras.

So, recommendations of local activity suppliers that have the ability to personalize or customize a visit would be especially appreciated.

Examples of activities we currently offer in the SLC area:

- Tour of the Olympic Park
- Guided tour of the Mormon Temple grounds
- Custom go-karting program
- Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre
- Utah Jazz and Utah Grizzlies tickets
- Snowtubing in Park City

Our groups lodge in Park City (for Canyons trips), West Valley (for Brighton trips), and in Ogden and Layton (for Snowbasin trips).

A bit of personal background - I actually grew up in SLC, first living on the Avenues for 10 years and then in Cottonwood Heights for about 4. At the age of 14, I relocated (well, was relocated, by my parents) to Florida, where I currently reside. Even though it's been a while, I do know my way around Salt Lake pretty well, so am not a total newbie in that regard...

Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Tyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:34 AM

19,820 posts, read 55,847,710 times
How big are your groups, typically? That makes a difference as many places can't handle large groups.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Our groups typically number between 25-75, however we have had the occasional 130+ person group. In the event of a large group wanting to reserve a smaller venue, we split the large group into a few smaller ones.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 AM

280 posts, read 709,390 times
When you're in Ogden, check out the Solomon Center: www.solomoncenter.com.

It has: Indoor Skydiving, Rock Climbing and Indoor Wave Surfing.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 AM

altajoe, that's a great suggestion. Exactly the kind of thing we are looking for.

Another thing I should mention is that we use activities of two main different types - evening entertainment activities, and excursion day entertainment activities.

Evening entertainment is just what it sounds like. Post-skiing, pre- or post-dinner activities appropriate for 14-18 year olds. Popular examples are bowling, go-karting, etc.

Excursion day entertainment activities are those that are offered for the groups' first day in Utah. Since they are travelling from 0 ft. to a mile up, we build a day into their tour for acclimation and r & r. Popular examples of excursion day activities are the Oly park tour, snow tubing, the planetarium, etc.

Thanks for the replies!

Tyler

Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM

19,820 posts, read 55,847,710 times
The Bingham copper mine on the west side of the valley is a very interesting tour. It's an open pit mine and is one of 2 Earth features that can be seen from outer space without a telescope (the other is the Great Wall of China). There's a small museum, a tire of one of the trucks (looks like it's 20 ft high) and you can look over the edge of the mine. Far, far below are the tiny-looking trucks that use that 20 ft tire. Geat perspective.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM

The copper mine! Wow, haven't thought of that place since I went there on an elementary school field trip.

That would be a PERFECT suggestion, but it looks like they're closed November 1 - March 30

I will keep in mind for April tours, however. Thank you!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM

21,889 posts, read 22,024,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKgrouptravel View Post
I work for a UK student tour operator that has brought between 20-40 groups of high-school aged students to ski in Utah for over 10 years now.
Part of my job is to source and secure new activity and restaurant options for our groups to enjoy during their trips.
All I can say is that it sounds to me like you have an absolutely perfect job. I'm so jealous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area