U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:35 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,234,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by la7071 View Post
...I teach...
If you are saying you are a teacher, then I hope you will be teaching at a private school with very high wages. Park City is expensive and the wages for a teacher in the public system are very low. To buy in Park City and keep your payments low, you will need to bring a substantial amount of equity for a down payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 01:25 AM

668 posts, read 522,313 times
They do have apartments which start at $900 per month. Or if you care to RV it. $500. But living in a tourist town??? Could get old....

Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 AM

8 posts, read 39,767 times
I think anyone could substitute any race into the message and it would all be the same. I just want my kids to be treated fairly by all of the other kids in the neighborhood regardless of race, religion, etc. My concern is for the welfare and treatment of my kids!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:01 PM

51 posts, read 196,026 times
I agree with others that are telling you to look South of SLC. We've been in Herriman (SW) and it is nice. There are alot of mormons, but everyone is friendly. It is Utah, the majority of the population is mormon. I haven't had anyone be pushy about their religion at all. I was acosted in a parking lot by a missionary, but one of my mormon friends was also. Herriman is a smaller, but growing, community so it has a small town feel, but is 30 minutes from downtown SLC. Riverton (SW of SLC, but E of Herriman) also seems to be a nice community. My highschooler loves the school in Riverton (he's bussed about 10 min. to Riverton High). I homeschool my 10 yo so I don't know about the elementary schools in Herriman or Riverton. Regarding Sugarhouse: everytime I am down there at nightime I notice that there is a very active nightlife. If I were looking to move here with small children to raise I would look to the outlying areas as they seem to be a little quieter and on a slower track than in the city.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:58 AM

14 posts, read 24,444 times
Amen LlasaLost.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:55 PM

242 posts, read 756,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I have a friend from my MBA program who lived in Sugarhouse. He had his not-so-nice student car stolen twice in a year.

Yikes! I can just keep hoping that they stay away from my car.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlasaLost View Post
Sorry, I just can't resist: but there's so many on this board who seem to be afraid that they might be surrounded by "Mormons" in Utah. Wonder if these same people would move to Italy and complain that they couldn't get away from the Catholics?? And I just love the posts that say, "I've nothing against mormons, I even know one (or have a friend who's one)." Try substituting Black or Jew instead of Mormon in those phrases and see how well it would fly!
Don't you see? The issue is that non-LDS are in the same boat. It's a little irritating to be living in the fear of judgement for being different.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:43 AM

242 posts, read 997,914 times
I spent three years living in Park City. It is great. As to the nightlife, it is contained on Main street or the resorts. The housing portions have no problems. As to the nightlife, I found it tamer than that in San Francisco. You are a local after only 6 months of residency. The locals are friendly and helpful no matter their religion. It was always joked about how Park City is not really part of Utah.

Only draw back is the cost of living there. 13 years ago it was expensive to the point locals were moving away. Now it is beyond expensive.

Cedar City doesn't have the infrasturcutre or the jobs to support the prices of the housing or the food/fuel costs you will encounter. The good paying jobs that are considered near, are in Las Vegas.

No matter where you would end up you have to consider first can you afford to live there. Both Park City and Cedar City are marvelous places to live. Both have major draw backs. Namely you should be in no need of income to live in either place.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:03 AM

17 posts, read 81,572 times
Default Neighborhoods

My husband and I lived in a lot of neighborhoods before we had our daughter. We currently love the neighborhood we are in out in Riverton for about a month more (well.... our zip is technically Herriman). We're building a new house to be closer up north to family and we liked the feel of Syracuse so we are building there. We've done the Avenues, Sugarhouse, Capital Hill.... and when we were on our own it was perfect. With my daughter I just wouldn't do it.

You'll get more for your money either north in an area like Syracuse or south out by where we are now in Riverton -- and I'm not lds and it hasn't been an issue. Any good neighborhood in Utah is going to contain about 85% lds families regardless...lol... it's Utah right? But you have to be aware that the more established areas seem to be more anti-non-lds than the newer communities. In Centerville we were like the devil family because we aren't lds... but here we do bbq's, birthday parties, play groups, etc. And so far I am hopeful after seeing a few of our new neighbors that the new neighborhood will be great also.

Best of luck,

Barbara

Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 AM

668 posts, read 522,313 times
I was house-hunting in Sugarhouse yesterday. One house-on the fringe of the area, didn't look all that safe. Most of Sugarhouse looked GREAT! Nice parks, lots of trees, kids playing outside, quiet streets, close to downtown and the highway if you worked further south.

I've been to South Jordan, West Jordan, and Bluffdale, and throught those places looked like great places to raise families as well. The drawback for me is that I don't prefer newer cookie-cutter neighborhoods, where the trees are still small. Plus Sugarhouse would be easier to walk or bicycle to the shops and stores.

As far as diversity goes, I personally don't care, I didn't see anyone with the word Mormon stamped on their heads.

Hope this helps,

Trebek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area