U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:27 PM

8 posts, read 39,671 times

Advertisements

I have heard to move to The Avenues, Park City, or Sugarhouse if I don't want to live in an entire LDS community. Is this true? I have nothing against the Mormons (I have a friend that's one), but I am moving from Texas w/ 3 small children and want this to be a great experience for our entire family. I need insight on diverse neighborhoods. Thanks and I hope that I didn't offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 04:15 PM

668 posts, read 521,141 times
3 small children? Wouldn't a safe suburban area be a better place to raise them? I believe Park City and Sugar House have quite the active, hip, nightlife scenes. I'm sure that some of the locals will chime it and give you some good advice on specific neighborhoods. I can only recommend West Jordan, but I know there are many other nice places with more diversity.

But to each his/her own...

Old 06-23-2007, 05:01 PM

242 posts, read 756,060 times
I think Sugarhouse would be just fine. I live in Sugarhouse myself. I am very close to the main shopping area (within walking distance) and my neighborhood is very, very quiet. However, I've found that many of my neighbors are Mormon but they've been just like everyone else, super friendly and helpful. I live on a very quiet street and there are always kids out in the yards playing. I have had a couple of Missionaries pay me a visit but they haven't been back since, so I really don't see it as a problem. Don't discount Sugarhouse just because there might be a Mormon neighbor or two. I'm not from here originally and haven't had a problem at all.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:33 PM

8 posts, read 39,671 times
Default Not worried

I am not worried about having a Mormon neighbor or two. Like I said, I teach with a few and they are really nice people. I would just like a more diverse neighborhood. I really don't care if my kids have Mormon friends and other friends as long as everyone treats everyone fairly. Thanks for the advice. We are really looking at Sugarhouse and Park City. Can anyone chime in on Park City? I've also heard about South and West Jordan being good areas. I need as much advice as possible. Can anyone tell me about those 2 places also? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:39 PM

30 posts, read 181,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la7071 View Post
I have heard to move to The Avenues, Park City, or Sugarhouse if I don't want to live in an entire LDS community. Is this true? I have nothing against the Mormons (I have a friend that's one), but I am moving from Texas w/ 3 small children and want this to be a great experience for our entire family. I need insight on diverse neighborhoods. Thanks and I hope that I didn't offend anyone.
I would not suggest The Avenues or Sugarhouse for family living. They have more crime in these areas and are older. .

Park City, though expensive, you probably will have a Mormon/LDS community but they are used to the diversity of many different people. They do have a crazy nightlife(as someone else has mentioned here too).

I would suggest reading more newspapers like Desert News and Salt Lake Tribune to find out more on these areas. Even call the police depts about neighborhoods. Get suggestions from them. You can order a vistor's guide from the State of Utah. Plus they sometimes offer to send you Realty books for free so you can see what is available. Don't hesitate to call the churches(doesn't matter what kind) and ask them about the neighborhoods.

I would look into moving further out South. Near South Jordan and some areas in West Jordan, etc. Check out the areas for gang activity and stuff first, etc. South Jordan has some nice new homes and developments. But they are more family oriented not so town and nightlife.

You'll love it. It's a very family oriented state. It's beautiful and there's tons to do!

Good Luck!

*GypsyLee*

Last edited by GypsyLee; 06-23-2007 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Updated

Old 06-23-2007, 10:24 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,690,541 times
Like Gypsy said Park City is quite expensive but if that is not an issue I think it would be a great place to raise a family. Park City is probably the most diverse area in Utah. Downtown Park City is very quaint and unique. The scenery is breathtaking and the outdoorsy possibilities in Utah are endless! The one and only drawback that I would possibly see right now is the drive from Park City to SLC. Parley's Canyon can be kinda scary sometimes (well in the winter) But if you don't plan on driving into the valley very often it would be just fine. I think Park City would be a great choice!

Old 06-24-2007, 11:03 AM

242 posts, read 756,060 times
I've heard about the increased amount of crime in the Aves area, but it hasn't hit Sugarhouse yet. I live on a very quiet street, nothing really exciting happens around here, unless you consider garbage day exciting.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:40 AM

1,804 posts, read 6,981,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderGirl View Post
I've heard about the increased amount of crime in the Aves area, but it hasn't hit Sugarhouse yet. I live on a very quiet street, nothing really exciting happens around here, unless you consider garbage day exciting.
I have a friend from my MBA program who lived in Sugarhouse. He had his not-so-nice student car stolen twice in a year.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:55 PM

24 posts, read 76,931 times
Default non lds

I really dont think it matters as long as you are in line with healthy, clean living you dont have to be a specific faith, check out Cedar City, it has alot of diversity and holds family values. rhonda.

Last edited by coolcats; 06-24-2007 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to real estate agency

Old 06-24-2007, 09:10 PM

129 posts, read 468,194 times
Sorry, I just can't resist: but there's so many on this board who seem to be afraid that they might be surrounded by "Mormons" in Utah. Wonder if these same people would move to Italy and complain that they couldn't get away from the Catholics?? And I just love the posts that say, "I've nothing against mormons, I even know one (or have a friend who's one)." Try substituting Black or Jew instead of Mormon in those phrases and see how well it would fly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area