U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 9,367 times

Advertisements

Hello all!! I am 27 years old and a mom to two younger boys. I want to move out Utah in July 2011. I am moving because my ex husbnd moved back out there and I'd rather just move then keep fighting for custody.., anyways sorry a little to much info... I don't really know what I am getting myself into.and him and his mother are the only people I know and it doesn't really feel like they want to help too much. I want us all to live close to each other and they live in Weber county. I do not like California at all, I think people here just care about partying and drinking. So what I am curious about is a couple things. What kind of jobs are out there? I am currently a bartender, yes I know what I just said about ca people, but I don't drink much and it's great money here. My boyfriend wants to be a fire fighter, are those hard to come by? What city would be great to live in around there?? I've been looking at Syracuse, is that a good place or no? Also I am not a Mormon, I am Christian. Is this a big issue? I also have a sleeve tattoo, it's pretty not trashy, but is this a big issue in Utah?? As far as jobs? Friends? Being judged? I am just really scared but I loved Utah when I visited a couple years ago, and I would really like to live somewhere where people apprciate life and family. Thank you for any feed back and I apologize if I rambled on to much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 AM

9,140 posts, read 9,220,068 times
Quote:
Hello all!! I am 27 years old and a mom to two younger boys. I want to move out Utah in July 2011. I am moving because my ex husbnd moved back out there and I'd rather just move then keep fighting for custody.., anyways sorry a little to much info... I don't really know what I am getting myself into.and him and his mother are the only people I know and it doesn't really feel like they want to help too much. I want us all to live close to each other and they live in Weber county. I do not like California at all, I think people here just care about partying and drinking. So what I am curious about is a couple things. What kind of jobs are out there? I am currently a bartender, yes I know what I just said about ca people, but I don't drink much and it's great money here. My boyfriend wants to be a fire fighter, are those hard to come by? What city would be great to live in around there?? I've been looking at Syracuse, is that a good place or no? Also I am not a Mormon, I am Christian. Is this a big issue? I also have a sleeve tattoo, it's pretty not trashy, but is this a big issue in Utah?? As far as jobs? Friends? Being judged? I am just really scared but I loved Utah when I visited a couple years ago, and I would really like to live somewhere where people apprciate life and family. Thank you for any feed back and I apologize if I rambled on to much

Hi Alex,

I've lived in Utah most of my life and I'll be happy to comment on your post. The first thing I would strongly suggest is don't just move here. You and your boyfriend need to apply for and line up jobs before you come. The unemployment rate is not as bad here as it is in California, but its still high and the statistics hide the fact that jobs here can be particularly low paying.

I think lining up jobs in advance is particularly a good idea after learning what you both intend to do for work. There is definitely less drinking in Utah than in California which will be a positive for you in terms of the environment that you live in and raise kids in. However, a bartender will likely have more trouble finding work here for the very same reason.

As far as your boyfriend goes, I can promise you that any government job including that of firefighter will be hard to come by right now. I don't say this to discourage you. I say it because it is the truth in this economy.

We frequently get the "religion" question here on this forum. I think you would be fine living in Weber or Davis counties. You'll encounter people from all religions, although the LDS religion will be the major one.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of tattooing or piercing. However, we have many people here who do wear visible tattoos and piercings.

I wouldn't worry much about the other things you've brought up. But do take my advice about lining work up first before moving very seriously.

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:55 AM

50 posts, read 130,909 times
I don't think you would like Syracuse and I would not recommend Davis County. Ogden and some portions of Salt Lake County might suit you best as they are a little more diverse.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:02 AM

10,860 posts, read 10,527,907 times
Contrary to what you may have been led to believe, there are bars and nightclubs in Utah. I used to work in them as a musician pretty much every weekend. All the bartenders/barmaids I've known do pretty well (relying for the most part, of course, on tips). Many made more than the average regional wage (the average wage around here is way lower than you are used to in California). As for general jobs, they are fairly easy to get--but again, you'll need to be willing to work for what is paid around here. Some people can't seem to get past that. They'd rather have no job at all and complain about it.

The mormon thing is overblown. Yes, there are a lot of mormons, just like their are lots of catholics in the vatican. But they don't bite. That is, unless you bite at them first. If I go into the desert, find a rattlesnake, and kick dirt into it's face as I taunt it, of course it's going to bite me. That's what some folks do when they come into the state. I've been in this state for many years (came from the bay area in California) and I've never been bothered by mormons. I just do my thing, and they do their thing. Just the way it should be. I just don't try to put others in orbit around me. Works great.

By the way... I don't mean to compare Utah to a den of rattlesnakes... Just sayin' .

Old 08-28-2010, 10:18 AM

Thank you for all the inputs. I am a little scared after reading all these threads about what area is snobby and what is more diverse. I want to keep my family together and this seems to be a move I will have to make. I am not too sure how I will be able to line up a job before moving there. I will be visiting between now and then but can not make too many visits because of saving reasons. Is anyone a parent to kids that play sports? How is out there? We are a sports kind of family!! Thanks again!!

Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 AM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
You didn't ask about this but I am going to have to say it, as a much older person/mother/grandmother. The fact that your ex and his mother don't want to help you makes me wonder if you are chasing a dream? Do you expect them to become more involved in your kids' lives after you move? The fact that a grandmother isn't helping get her grandkids closer is unusual and disturbing. I'd hate to see you get here and then be cut out of their lives anyway!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:10 AM

They are involved in my childs life. If we go to court one of us wil get him in the school year and one will get him in the summer. So instead we are going to do 50/50. They do want me to move out there, we just have not always seen eye to eye.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:46 AM

6,800 posts, read 7,346,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex0206 View Post
They are involved in my childs life. If we go to court one of us wil get him in the school year and one will get him in the summer. So instead we are going to do 50/50. They do want me to move out there, we just have not always seen eye to eye.
Would anyone in Utah help you while you look for a job here? If they want you here maybe they would.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 AM

494 posts, read 1,675,062 times
Keep in mind your boyfriend will also need to be EMT certified to land a job in a fire dept. Most departments now require EMT certification, as most do ambulance calls.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM

Yes he will be emt certified and fire. We have already reaschered what certs he has to have in Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area