U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 11,542 times

Advertisements

I agree, a visit will be best. I'm actually flying up sometime within the next two weeks to make preparations for my move. My heart is at peace everytime I think of moving there, so that is an excellent sign. I know there will be some adjusting to get use to, but me and my family are friendly folks. We get along with almost everyone. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,577,554 times
We never did visit before coming...we *should* have, but it just didn't happen. Anyway, it worked out for us, we love it here. I hope you will too.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM

214 posts, read 781,596 times
from what am reading...i think you and your family will not have much problems in the greater salt lake metro area....like you said as long you feel about your move you should do just fine. best of luck

Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 PM

11 posts, read 11,542 times
Just a follow up. I had an opportunity to visit SLC... and OMG!! I under estimated it big time!! I am seriously thinking I may take to job offer. I plan to treat each weekend like a mini vacation. Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,902,361 times
Hey! Glad you were able to make a visit and look around for yourself! My DH and I moved here 16 years ago from NJ. It WAS a culture shock and took a bit getting used to, but I can honestly tell you that I will never live anywhere else.

You seem to have an awesome attitude, so I have no doubt you will fit in just fine!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 PM

6,800 posts, read 7,352,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversely Sweet View Post
Just a follow up. I had an opportunity to visit SLC... and OMG!! I under estimated it big time!! I am seriously thinking I may take to job offer. I plan to treat each weekend like a mini vacation. Thanks everyone for your input.
Glad to hear it, what areas did you check out? Wait until you see the mountains all covered in snow, it looks amazing.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,622,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Maybe, but not realistic at all. W/o some info, we cannot provide any recommendations. To say "schools are good" is a gross simplification; some are, some are not. Why recommend daycare in Draper if the home/job is in the Avenues? Why bother to recommend a nice house, say $7 million in Park City, if that is out of reach? Or conversely, a $650/mo apartment in Millcreek if the OP can afford much more?

I read it as someone trying to stir up racist comments.

I don't think this was a real post. For one thing taking two children out of CA in regards to custody issues isn't that easy.

IMO, the OP was very vague and was trying to "stir the pot". Too many things didn't make sense, like they couldn't just give an idea where in SLC they would be working in regards to a commute, they never visited SLC, and again the custody issues involving CA and taking children out of state.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:26 PM

6,800 posts, read 7,352,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't think this was a real post. For one thing taking two children out of CA in regards to custody issues isn't that easy.

IMO, the OP was very vague and was trying to "stir the pot". Too many things didn't make sense, like they couldn't just give an idea where in SLC they would be working in regards to a commute, they never visited SLC, and again the custody issues involving CA and taking children out of state.
Looks like you didn't read on. Actually custody out of CA can be easy under the right circumstances.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
How about posting the barest details in the vaguest of terms on a public-access internet board then basing your final decisions on the subsequent advice of a set of complete strangers who you've burdened with picking up the slack for you. Or do you not really care what anyone has to say? Sorry, but I find your tone in this thread to be immature and in poor form. If you have any actual questions I'm sure people here would be glad to help, but I get the impression that you're posting just for the sake of doing so. I also think you're dramatically overestimating how exotic you will be.

Exactly, someone who is serious about moving somewhere has done some research on their own and has specific questions.

Sounds like something a teenager would write.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Looks like you didn't read on. Actually custody out of CA can be easy under the right circumstances.

What are you talking about? OP said they're a single mom in CA with two sons who are 12yrs apart in age. There is either a father or fathers involved.

I know many in CA who are divorced and can't leave the county their in never mind the state without great difficulty in regards to custody issues.

Someone who is really interested in relocating and has a real job offer has specific questions.

IMO, this post sounds fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area