U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 PM

11 posts, read 11,538 times

Advertisements

I have two boys ages 2 and 14, I am thinking of moving from Southern California to SLC in pursuit of career advancement. My concerns are the cultural differences for my kids. My oldest son is into sports, current music, social atmospheres, and diverse crowds. My youngest is at a very influential age that requires much TLC. Finding a great Daycare is definitely a concern. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 PM

5,318 posts, read 10,999,419 times
Please ... do not come here without a job !!
Visit, look for work, check out daycare institutions, then come here after you have everything that does NOT get you on the *dole* ....

Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,575,094 times
I haven't ever needed daycare in Utah, so I don't know much. But I would guess there is good daycare to be found once you are here, or know which area you're going to be in.

SLC offers the things you say you are looking for, but I think you should ask more specific questions & provide more info!

Good luck to you!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 AM

I will have a job, I am transferring. What is "dole"? I am really looking to find out what I can expect. I am ready for the initial culture shock. What is life like, is their a social atmosphere, or is it more family oriented? I am truly going into this blindly but I am up for the challenge!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM

19,813 posts, read 55,771,747 times
WHere will the work be? How far are you willing to drive or do you need to consider bus routes? What is your budget? rent or buy? With these factors, we can give you better advice. Sorry, but your first post was so general, it was hard to answer you with realizstic suggestions.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 PM

5,318 posts, read 10,999,419 times
Comments inserted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversely Sweet View Post
I will have a job, I am transferring.

Now that is way better.

What is "dole"?

Expecting help from Government agencies due to financial problems.

I am really looking to find out what I can expect. I am ready for the initial culture shock. What is life like, is their a social atmosphere, or is it more family oriented? I am truly going into this blindly but I am up for the challenge!

Life is what YOU make out of it.
You act like a dork, people consider you a dork ....

So come here, have an open mind, accept people around you for what they are.

Life is definitively different when compared to So. California.
Social atmosphere ? what are you looking for ?
Utah is really *family oriented*, accept for those who made a choice, willingly or not, to be childless ...

So give Utah a chance.
Sooner or later you get used to everything, even hanging ....
Develop an attitude where in the end you just say .... Oh well ....
It is called *tolerance*, a rare character trait today ....

LBNL, dismiss all those negative comments you read often about Utah.
You want to believe those comments, cancel your acceptance for your job and look for another place to live.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 PM

Hmm interesting responses from all. I kept everything general on purpose. I do not want to be too specific because I do have an open mind. I choose to keep my place of work and budget private. And honestly do not feel that it is necessary to share to get the answers I am looking for. And honestly after reading the responses from everyone gives me an idea of what I expected to receive when I actually move. I will say that the job opportunity that I will have is prestigious and will pivot my family into a direction that I could change our lives in a positive way. NO personalities, judgments, or places will hold me back from moving to SLC. I actually expect to stand out in a community that is not as diverse as SoCal. But with my strength and respect for all walks of life, I will survive any economical, emotional, or social changes to come. My kids are just as strong.

As for this post, I was seeing who would reply honestly and who can paint a general picture of what I can expect when transitioning to a much more conservative place when someone is not as conservative. After having more personal phone conversations with residents of SLC, I find that the school districts are wonderful and that the City is becoming more diverse which is awesome.

As for the "DOLE" comment. I'm not sure what to think that will cause anyone to think that I would move without proper support. I have never and will never depend on government services to support me or my family. I'm a mother of two wonderful kids and could never think of showing them an unrealistic way to provide for a family. I believe as a single mom of boys, working and living a responsible life is far more than what material things can buy.

I plan to provide a shock to an environment that may have misconceived opinions on a single black mother of two....whatever they maybe???

Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 AM

21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversely Sweet View Post
Hmm interesting responses from all. I kept everything general on purpose. I do not want to be too specific because I do have an open mind. I choose to keep my place of work and budget private. And honestly do not feel that it is necessary to share to get the answers I am looking for. And honestly after reading the responses from everyone gives me an idea of what I expected to receive when I actually move. I will say that the job opportunity that I will have is prestigious and will pivot my family into a direction that I could change our lives in a positive way. NO personalities, judgments, or places will hold me back from moving to SLC. I actually expect to stand out in a community that is not as diverse as SoCal. But with my strength and respect for all walks of life, I will survive any economical, emotional, or social changes to come. My kids are just as strong.

As for this post, I was seeing who would reply honestly and who can paint a general picture of what I can expect when transitioning to a much more conservative place when someone is not as conservative. After having more personal phone conversations with residents of SLC, I find that the school districts are wonderful and that the City is becoming more diverse which is awesome.

As for the "DOLE" comment. I'm not sure what to think that will cause anyone to think that I would move without proper support. I have never and will never depend on government services to support me or my family. I'm a mother of two wonderful kids and could never think of showing them an unrealistic way to provide for a family. I believe as a single mom of boys, working and living a responsible life is far more than what material things can buy.

I plan to provide a shock to an environment that may have misconceived opinions on a single black mother of two....whatever they maybe???
Bravo! Wonderful post!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,771,747 times
Maybe, but not realistic at all. W/o some info, we cannot provide any recommendations. To say "schools are good" is a gross simplification; some are, some are not. Why recommend daycare in Draper if the home/job is in the Avenues? Why bother to recommend a nice house, say $7 million in Park City, if that is out of reach? Or conversely, a $650/mo apartment in Millcreek if the OP can afford much more?

I read it as someone trying to stir up racist comments.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Thanks SouthernBelleInUtah. SLC is the actual city. My budget is open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area