U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM

9 posts, read 24,769 times

Advertisements

We are thinking that we might be transferred to Lehi, UT. What is a good high school and middle school for our daughters? We are not LDS and want to make sure that there is a good ratio of LDS and non-LDS in the schools where they will be going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 05:26 PM

19,815 posts, read 55,790,617 times
Check on www.greatschools.net to see how many schools Lehi has. Not sure if there is more than 1 high school? Anyway, you can get an idea of the ratings.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,106,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy62 View Post
We are thinking that we might be transferred to Lehi, UT. What is a good high school and middle school for our daughters? We are not LDS and want to make sure that there is a good ratio of LDS and non-LDS in the schools where they will be going?
Lehi only has one High school, and my daughter went there. It was a good school, she fit in with no problems at all. She made friends very easily, and we are non-lds.
Just be prepared for the cost of sending kids to school here. It can easily go over 500.00 depending on the classes.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 AM

9,140 posts, read 9,222,378 times
I appreciate what VC Dreamer has said. I will say that I think raising non-LDS children in Utah County is likely to be something of a challenge. You could consider living in Draper, Sandy, or some other place in south Salt Lake County and having your husband commute to Lehi. Its not far. Maybe 15 miles. Utah County isn't my favorite place in the world and I am LDS and have lived in Utah most of my life.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 AM

Is Herriman or Highland or Holladay in Utah County? I have been kind of looking at their schools. The website on schools is awesome info! Moving is always so hard and it makes it harder with kids and wanting them to fit in. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:52 AM

9,140 posts, read 9,222,378 times
Is Herriman or Highland or Holladay in Utah County? I have been kind of looking at their schools. The website on schools is awesome info! Moving is always so hard and it makes it harder with kids and wanting them to fit in. Thanks for the info.

No, all of the above are in Salt Lake County. I could recommend all as excellent places to live.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:52 AM

For some reason, when I pull up Highland, it says Utah county. Is it on the border of the two counties?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:06 PM

550 posts, read 1,969,386 times
Yeah, Highland is on the Utah County side of the border.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,629 times
I just wanted to weigh in this even though it is a super old thread.

We moved from Ohio to Utah in 2011 for my husband's employment. Our son at the time was 8 years old and in the third grade, we moved mid school year.

We settled in Sandy since it is close to my husband's work and we had picked out our son's school before we even moved. He had previously gone to a very academic Montessori and there was no way in Hell that I was going to send him to a Utah public school system. Utah is at the bottom of the list for dollars spent on public education and just TODAY I heard on the radio the statistic that 1 out of 5 Utah Public school children do not graduate!! In my world this is totally unacceptable!!! We place a huge emphasis on education in our family so we knew right off the bat that our son was Not going the public school route.

We first tried a Catholic school but the principal did not take mid term students and was very unyielding when I asked if he could be moved up a grade if he tested in. I kept getting the same, "If he needs help, we have excellent programs". No, he needs challenge, he needs challenging programs. All I heard was that if he needed tutoring they could "help" him and that they would not test him up a grade.

In a panic I contacted a very prominent independent school in Sandy. They assured me they took students mid-year pending an interview and scholastic records. To make a long story short, although the tuition is more like college tuition rather than grade school, it has been worth every penny to us. I'm not sure on the percentage of Mormon to Non Mormon but I think it's something like 60% Mormon, 40% non Mormon. WAY better than the public schools. The school is Fantastic, challenging, grades about the public schools here. We're there to stay through the long haul since it goes through 12th grade. Our son Loves it, does very well, and his Montessori background was a definite plus since - you have to make the grade here and it's not an easy ride. The arts are very highly stressed as well. We couldn't be happier with the school.

We live in a smaller, older house (80's) on a very nice street and neighborhood here in Sandy. I have Mormon neighbors across and beside me and they are wonderful neighbors. We also have many non Mormon neighbors that are wonderful too. I have to say though, there were a LOT more people that would come over to our house from other streets with kids our son's age when we first moved, and when they found out we were not Mormon, had NO intention of turning Mormon, were staunch Anglicans, well they disappeared. I know had we been Mormon, we would have a lot more friends and so would our son. Thank God he has great friends at school (all non-Mormon, just by coincidence) because it would be extremely isolating if he didn't. The boys on our street that are non-Mormon are either very young, or big trouble (setting fires, etc). Fortunately, sad to say in a way, but I'm actually glad, our son doesn't want anything to do with them and they don't either with him so it's even.

I have a small part time job, and we have Anglican church family, but it could be very isolating if our son had to go to a public school or if we didn't have our church. There are many young mothers here that I know would be excellent friends IF I were Mormon. Though, the Good thing is that I'm not bugged either. We've had LDS missionaries come to our house and I was just polite but firm. They knew there was no way in Hell I was going to listen to them, but if you are polite and not rude, but don't let them go on and on, you will be fine. The LDS thing really doesn't touch my life at all, except for the friendship, but then I'm very selective about my friends anyway.

IF you are moving to Sandy and are not LDS, you will be OK. You won't have a lot of friends unless you have tons of Non-LDS's on your street, and even then, most everyone in the Mid range price houses (300K) works anyway, and you won't see them anyway if you work part time like me. IF you have kids and they have to attend public schools, I'd never ever recommend it. Though truth be told, the quality of education the Catholic schools provide locally (Sandy) I don't think are any great shakes either definitely. You have to decide if you can't afford private if you'd rather have your kid go to the awful public schools and attend with Many, sometimes very excluding Mormon kids, or send them to a lukewarm academic wise Catholic grade school (local), but the kids will be more accepting. They will have to take religion though, and if you are not Catholic it might be an issue. If you can't afford the Catholic grade schools - stay where you are. I'd never do it. We are lucky that we can afford the private school tuition and that we only have one son. Because if we had more we'd be packing off and moving back to whence we came from.

OH and if you are looking for Boy Scouts, Blessed Sacrament in Sandy is one of the ONLY non LDS Troops around here. Sadly, their cub scout troop is about to disband because of no leadership. But the Boy Scouts at Blessed Sacrament is VERY good and kids come from Miles around since it is non LDS. That's super good to know since that is a true rarity here.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:34 PM

36 posts, read 52,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeMum8 View Post
I just wanted to weigh in this even though it is a super old thread.

We moved from Ohio to Utah in 2011 for my husband's employment. Our son at the time was 8 years old and in the third grade, we moved mid school year.

We settled in Sandy since it is close to my husband's work and we had picked out our son's school before we even moved. He had previously gone to a very academic Montessori and there was no way in Hell that I was going to send him to a Utah public school system. Utah is at the bottom of the list for dollars spent on public education and just TODAY I heard on the radio the statistic that 1 out of 5 Utah Public school children do not graduate!! In my world this is totally unacceptable!!! We place a huge emphasis on education in our family so we knew right off the bat that our son was Not going the public school route.

We first tried a Catholic school but the principal did not take mid term students and was very unyielding when I asked if he could be moved up a grade if he tested in. I kept getting the same, "If he needs help, we have excellent programs". No, he needs challenge, he needs challenging programs. All I heard was that if he needed tutoring they could "help" him and that they would not test him up a grade.

In a panic I contacted a very prominent independent school in Sandy. They assured me they took students mid-year pending an interview and scholastic records. To make a long story short, although the tuition is more like college tuition rather than grade school, it has been worth every penny to us. I'm not sure on the percentage of Mormon to Non Mormon but I think it's something like 60% Mormon, 40% non Mormon. WAY better than the public schools. The school is Fantastic, challenging, grades about the public schools here. We're there to stay through the long haul since it goes through 12th grade. Our son Loves it, does very well, and his Montessori background was a definite plus since - you have to make the grade here and it's not an easy ride. The arts are very highly stressed as well. We couldn't be happier with the school.

We live in a smaller, older house (80's) on a very nice street and neighborhood here in Sandy. I have Mormon neighbors across and beside me and they are wonderful neighbors. We also have many non Mormon neighbors that are wonderful too. I have to say though, there were a LOT more people that would come over to our house from other streets with kids our son's age when we first moved, and when they found out we were not Mormon, had NO intention of turning Mormon, were staunch Anglicans, well they disappeared. I know had we been Mormon, we would have a lot more friends and so would our son. Thank God he has great friends at school (all non-Mormon, just by coincidence) because it would be extremely isolating if he didn't. The boys on our street that are non-Mormon are either very young, or big trouble (setting fires, etc). Fortunately, sad to say in a way, but I'm actually glad, our son doesn't want anything to do with them and they don't either with him so it's even.

I have a small part time job, and we have Anglican church family, but it could be very isolating if our son had to go to a public school or if we didn't have our church. There are many young mothers here that I know would be excellent friends IF I were Mormon. Though, the Good thing is that I'm not bugged either. We've had LDS missionaries come to our house and I was just polite but firm. They knew there was no way in Hell I was going to listen to them, but if you are polite and not rude, but don't let them go on and on, you will be fine. The LDS thing really doesn't touch my life at all, except for the friendship, but then I'm very selective about my friends anyway.

IF you are moving to Sandy and are not LDS, you will be OK. You won't have a lot of friends unless you have tons of Non-LDS's on your street, and even then, most everyone in the Mid range price houses (300K) works anyway, and you won't see them anyway if you work part time like me. IF you have kids and they have to attend public schools, I'd never ever recommend it. Though truth be told, the quality of education the Catholic schools provide locally (Sandy) I don't think are any great shakes either definitely. You have to decide if you can't afford private if you'd rather have your kid go to the awful public schools and attend with Many, sometimes very excluding Mormon kids, or send them to a lukewarm academic wise Catholic grade school (local), but the kids will be more accepting. They will have to take religion though, and if you are not Catholic it might be an issue. If you can't afford the Catholic grade schools - stay where you are. I'd never do it. We are lucky that we can afford the private school tuition and that we only have one son. Because if we had more we'd be packing off and moving back to whence we came from.

OH and if you are looking for Boy Scouts, Blessed Sacrament in Sandy is one of the ONLY non LDS Troops around here. Sadly, their cub scout troop is about to disband because of no leadership. But the Boy Scouts at Blessed Sacrament is VERY good and kids come from Miles around since it is non LDS. That's super good to know since that is a true rarity here.
What school? We are about to move to Sandy and our son will be starting kindergarten next year. We're zoned for Peruvian Park Elementary, but I'd like to know about other options - thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area