U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 AM

602 posts, read 1,675,690 times

Advertisements

It just seems to me that if we're going to yell about acceptance, companssion and empathy, that we ought to express those same characteristics toward the offenders.........just a thought, but in my Sunday school I was taught to treat others and you would like to be treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Why are you writing this? I've read nearly every post on this board, and I heard a few contributors who slightly echoed your points, but most were quite the opposite.

And you come out of the blue and start a post like this with out even
Obviously you've never lived in Utah.

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." St. John 8:32
[URL="http://www.thecomforter.info"]www.thecomforter.info[/URL]
[URL="http://www.theholyconceptionunit.org"]www.theholyconceptionunit.org[/URL]

Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,922,262 times
Quote:
Obviously you've never lived in Utah.
that's a fairly large assumption, and one not conducive to a discussion about the truth and how it will set you free. one of the ways that truth sets you free is when it is used in debate and argument; if the truth is actually used, the conversation can go somewhere productive, *truthful,* and positive. if the truth is not used, and people instead cling to assumptions, emotional reactions, hyperbole, and personal attacks, we won't get anywhere, now will we?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM

287 posts, read 982,189 times
I'm curious after reading these threads if Mormons lump their non-LDS neighbors into one group. Would a Mormon try to convert an Evangelical Christian? What about a Catholic? A Jew? Is it the lack of religion that's bothersome, or just the fact that one isn't LDS?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:31 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,884,337 times
Interesting thought...maybe they don't try to convert anyone regardless of their religion. I have never ever been approached about converting. Ever.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 PM

19,802 posts, read 55,621,783 times
My understanding is that they think everyone deserves the chance to be LDS. I have had 2 sets of missionaries at my door in 8 yrs, both in the first 3 yrs. The first set were very polite but the second set were clearly rustrated at getting "no." I almost called the bishop for my neighborhood but decided to let it go. And we, of any other religion, are "gentiles" to them.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 AM

2,284 posts, read 5,066,775 times
Indeed it is quite funny. They consider non members Gentiles. Well I have some bad news for them, THEY are the Gentiles. They follow a false doctrine, they follow a pagan sabbath (Sun Day) and don't follow the Torah, which would be a prerequisite to being Israel, who, as scripture says are HIS people. NOT "the church" which isn't even in the original manuscripts to begin with. Amazing how people make up religion as they go and claim it came from our creator. Can't wait for them to reach the Judgement Seat and have the Messiah say to them "You said I said WHAT!"

Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 PM

19,802 posts, read 55,621,783 times
OK, I'm guilty too. We've wandered pretty far off topic from the original. Let's quit the religion stuff and get back to the OP's question!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:47 PM

287 posts, read 982,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My understanding is that they think everyone deserves the chance to be LDS. I have had 2 sets of missionaries at my door in 8 yrs, both in the first 3 yrs. The first set were very polite but the second set were clearly rustrated at getting "no." I almost called the bishop for my neighborhood but decided to let it go. And we, of any other religion, are "gentiles" to them.
Thanks for you reply--I guess what I was really wandering was, what do Mormons think of people of other faiths. "Gentiles" pretty much explains it

Old 03-21-2009, 11:06 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,922,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anr_black View Post
Thanks for you reply--I guess what I was really wandering was, what do Mormons think of people of other faiths. "Gentiles" pretty much explains it
in all fairness, 'gentiles' isn't a church-wide description of everyone not of our faith. if you read my posts, i use the term every now and then, always in a sarcastic mode, poking fun of the *few* mormons that actually do consider their neighbors gentiles. most of us don't really have an issue with it.

sure, you'll eventually meet the missionaries, and yes, some of your neighbors will invite you to relief society or elders quorum activities, where you'll have the chance to gawk at mormonism, but most of them are doing it because they think that you would be a cool member of the church (that's a compliment, not an insult or an offense to your religion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area