Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 AM

46 posts, read 135,549 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Utah soon. My husband will be working in SLC. We are very excited about the move and all that UT has to offer. We would like to be close to SLC, no longer commute then 35 min. We have 3 young children and I am a stay at home mom. We are of non-Mormen Christian faith and would prefer to live someplace where it is not so heavily LDS. We have several friends that are Mormon and have heard and read wonderful things about the people in UT. We want to be friends with EVERYBODY! But I have read on other posts that some places are just better then others for people in our situation. Is it true that North of SLC is better then South? And I have also heard good things about Layton and Syracuse, would they fit our needs? Could anybody recommend someplace better? Thank you, in advance, for any help!

Last edited by Rachee3; 01-28-2009 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 AM

I am so sorry!!! I spelled Mormon wrong!! Please forgive me.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Don't worry about the Mormons!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 AM

264 posts, read 907,588 times
Maybe you should move someplace where there are no Mormons and you wont have to worry about those 'MORMONS". Archie Bunker used to say he had black friends !

Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
That saying about north and south is intended to be about places in either Salt Lake or Utah counties. If you stay north of Utah co., you will have a more diverse mix of people. Ut. co. is more heavily LDS, like in Provo. Salt Lake City itself is very diverse, but it is a city, albeit a small one. You have to distinguish between SLC and Sandy and Draper and West Valley City and South Jordan - people tend to say SLC to mean the whole valley. I'm not really familiar with the characteristics of cities north of SLC.

By the way, just say or write "LDS" and you can't go wrong! For "Latter Day Saints", some prefer it to Mormon. UT is a wonderful place for many reasons, don't let some folks worry you!

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 AM

325 posts, read 962,945 times
To the OP - Park City.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
I would agree up towards Park City would make more sense if you're looking to avoid the LDS influence. PC has been even more Californicated than the SL Valley. Oh well, it's like take your pick.......

Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 AM

Thank you very much!! I appreciate it.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
I'm going to disagree. I mean, PC is great but you don't need to go up there to not feel surrounded by LDS influence. I'd suggest looking in SLC proper in areas like Sugar House, Avenues, Harvard-Yale, East of Foothill, Emigration Canyon. There are tons of areas right in SLC which have a lot of religious diversity.

And I see your husband will be working in SLC--that would be a totally bad at times (in winter) commute and very long. There's no need for that in this area. If you like the suburban feel and don't want to be right in SLC, also check out Olympus Cove, which is very close-by. Unlike much of Holladay, it does not have a heavy LDS influence.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Thank you frogandtoad for that info. Actually my husband will have the winter off, so no issue for the winter commute! I will look into the helpful suggestions that you gave me. And do you know anything of Layton? Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area