U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 21,143 times

Advertisements

I'm flew out in August for an interview and met everyone at the company that I'll be working with and although we don't share the same beliefs, they were very nice and respectful people and so I decided to accept their offer and make the move.

Now, the difficult part... finding a place to live. I am a 26 year old single white male and part of my job will be traveling a lot through the week once I am established. I'm trying to find an area where I can meet other Non-LDS people who would want to go out for a beer after work, etc. I'm not a partier anymore but I do still enjoy going out to clubs, etc. with friends on the weekends.

If at all possible, I'd like to find a house to rent or something with a garage. I am a pretty mechanically inclined person and like to handle all of my own automotive work as well as woodworking, etc. On top of that, I am still paying a mortgage on my current home until it sells, so I need to find something relatively inexpensive (< $650 mo). I am looking into apartments as well, since a house for that kinda money in a social neighborhood is probably a diamond in the rough.

Any thoughts on apartment complexes maybe in the southern SLC Valley that won't be a terrible commute to Springville? The company will be just off the I-15 Springville exit.

I've been looking into apartments around the Midvale/Fort Union area currently but am not sold on anything yet. If I can get further south into Draper or Sandy, that would be fine (I think) but I can't seem to find anything that's not higher priced.

Does anyone know anything about "Allegro At Corner Canyon" in Draper, UT?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by curt2199; 09-21-2010 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,345,753 times
You may want to check out South Jordan and Riverton; they are on the other side of the 15 from Draper. You mind find a little better pricing there.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 PM

10,851 posts, read 10,526,347 times
This may sound silly, but have you thought of living in Springville, since your work is there? There are plenty of homes/dwellings there. Why would you want to live so far away? There are probably condos or apartments close enough for you to walk to work (that whole area is filling in with houses/condos).

Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM

I am considering Springville for short-term leases. I just like the more Urban setting and being close to anything I may need. I grew up in the country and hated having to drive 30-35 min anytime I needed something. Also, I am Non-LDS and while I get along fine with LDS, I fear I won't be able to find any social groups with similar interests. I'm not the type that's going to be at church every sunday just because my beliefs differ and I feel this will make me somewhat of an outcast in the Provo, Orem, and Springville areas? Am I wrong?

Everyone I have talked to has said the Utah Valley will be boring for me as there isn't much of a social scene for Non-LDS members and being new to the area, the last thing I want is to not be able to make friends.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:55 PM

10,851 posts, read 10,526,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt2199 View Post
I am considering Springville for short-term leases. I just like the more Urban setting and being close to anything I may need. I grew up in the country and hated having to drive 30-35 min anytime I needed something. Also, I am Non-LDS and while I get along fine with LDS, I fear I won't be able to find any social groups with similar interests. I'm not the type that's going to be at church every sunday just because my beliefs differ and I feel this will make me somewhat of an outcast in the Provo, Orem, and Springville areas? Am I wrong?

Everyone I have talked to has said the Utah Valley will be boring for me as there isn't much of a social scene for Non-LDS members and being new to the area, the last thing I want is to not be able to make friends.
Well, if you believe some of the posts here, you'd think they'd have a stake with your name on it, ready to burn you. But, I must say after having lived here for 35 years outside the mormon faith for almost all of that time, I've never even really thought about it much. It's just not an issue, at least in my case. I'm not really much of a socialite, though, so take that into account. There are, however, plenty of clubs and bars. In fact, one of my jobs is in the general area that you will work, and there is a nightclub just a couple of blocks away. You wouldn't be an outcast; you'd just have to find the "crowd" that you are comfortable with. There are plenty of non-lds people here. Most of the people I associate with are either non-lds or inactive lds. As I said, you just integrate into the crowd that suits you.

There really isn't much left in the way of "rural" in Utah Valley. It's pretty much filled in with any sort of business you'd ever need. I don't really see that there is anything in SLC that I bother going up there for--other than a Guitar Center. Everything else I could possibly want is in my area. Too much, actually.

Having said all of that, I think it really depends on what you expect out of your community as to whether the area would work for you or not. But, really, even though people do it, I couldn't even imagine commuting 40 miles one-way in this mess. I'd have a nervous breakdown in a week. I'd rather drive from here to SLC once a week to "socialize" rather than driving down here 5 days a week from SLC to work.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM

2,293 posts, read 5,083,344 times
I understand your concerns about your lifestyle not being in perfect alignment with those that live in that area. I frankly happen to find that area near Springville charming. Quiet and almost serene. I used to call on a few people in my former career down there and indeed they are exceptionally nice folks. Much more like a small town friendly if I do say so. There is however NO way I'd ever consider a commute from anywhere further away than say Provo to there. Forget about being up in the Salt Lake Valley if that is where you work. Especially with all the work on I-15 which will last at least another 2 years. And the winter alone would make that a deal breaker for me. Stick with that area if you can perhaps find a small home to rent as well. It is a real clean and quiet area near the mountains. Far from the hustle, noise and pollutions provided by the Salt Lake valley. You did good

Old 09-21-2010, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the help, and being that I only drove the I-15 round trip from SLC Airport to Springville and back, my experience was probably a lot better than it can and will be as the winter hits. I too, would like to avoid a near hour drive each way+on a good day, every day as well.

Do any of you know of any rental properties or apartments in the Springville, Provo, or Orem area?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 PM

34 posts, read 94,947 times
Check out ksl dot com and look in their classifieds for many listings for places to rent. I am sure you can find something there.

As far as where you decide to live it is what you make of it. I would suggest avoiding living from Provo Center Street to Orem Center Street. All that is, is college students and it is just to crowded in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 AM

9,133 posts, read 9,217,901 times
Quote:
Thanks for the help, and being that I only drove the I-15 round trip from SLC Airport to Springville and back, my experience was probably a lot better than it can and will be as the winter hits. I too, would like to avoid a near hour drive each way+on a good day, every day as well.

Do any of you know of any rental properties or apartments in the Springville, Provo, or Orem area?
Chris and others know that I have strong opinions on this subject.

I strongly recommend that a single non-LDS, 26 year old man who likes to go out occasionally and drink beer with his friends consider living somewhere other than Utah County. BTW, Utah County includes Springville, Provo, Orem, Lehi, American Fork, Alpine and everything south of the "point of the mountain" (South Salt Lake County)

You basically will find if you live in Utah County that 88% of your neighbors are LDS and that you'll probably not have much in common with anyone in the area.

If you want more info on this subject, search the recent history of this forum for a post by me entitled "Moving to Utah County".

We've had people here who moved there and regretted it. We also have LDS people like me who simply would not consider moving to the area for its genuine lack of diversity.

Good luck, whatever you do. Please take this to heart though.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM

Do you have any other suggestions on places to live for someone working in Springville, UT who is Non-LDS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area