U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,983 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all my name is Aaron. I'm a single black male thinking of moving to SLC. I'm looking for a nice 25-35 neighborhood that's close to downtown, close to 24 hour fitness, a few bars, and a good distance to University of Utah. I'd also like to know what are my chances of finding a black woman to date? Hell, SLC had to have more sisters than Portland. If I leave my job is the economy pretty good in SLC? I'm the type of guy that's gets out and look until I get one . Socially I like bars that play R&B but, they have to be classy no pants sagging. Oxford shirts, slacks, and dress shoes. All I wanna do is workout, catch a few Jazz games, have a cognac or six, and have a nice young lady to talk to. If you can help me with some information I'd gladly appreciate it. Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 AM

6,800 posts, read 7,348,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistad3 View Post
Hey y'all my name is Aaron. I'm a single black male thinking of moving to SLC. I'm looking for a nice 25-35 neighborhood that's close to downtown, close to 24 hour fitness, a few bars, and a good distance to University of Utah. I'd also like to know what are my chances of finding a black woman to date? Hell, SLC had to have more sisters than Portland. If I leave my job is the economy pretty good in SLC? I'm the type of guy that's gets out and look until I get one . Socially I like bars that play R&B but, they have to be classy no pants sagging. Oxford shirts, slacks, and dress shoes. All I wanna do is workout, catch a few Jazz games, have a cognac or six, and have a nice young lady to talk to. If you can help me with some information I'd gladly appreciate it. Aaron
Check this out for the social and music scene. Salt Lake City Weekly, Utah, News, Events, Restaurants, Music, Clubs & Entertainment Calendar

Old 10-12-2010, 11:34 AM

19,817 posts, read 55,800,152 times
Our job market isn't so good for better-paying jobs. UT is tradionally a low-wage state. While rents are cheap compared to some other places, most other expenses are not. Gas is around $2.90/gal everywhere I see (not all of the city, for sure, but where I go) and that's the lowest in several months now. Out of state tuition is high. I think the last time I saw figures, AA was around 1 or 2% of the population. OTOH, I don't see the discrimination, or hear it, that I did in the SOuth. But then, I'm white, so what do I know?

If you decide to come visit, you would get a far clearer picture than any of us can give you. Come see for yourself!

Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 PM

I was thinking of driving down this weekend to get a clearer view. As far as work is concerned I just need a job to hold me over while I'm in school. So I'll say about $2500/month. Portland has a terrible job market so I'm looking to scat. Thanks for the replies, keep them coming, I just want to get more ideas.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:38 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,618,340 times
Why don't you date blondes? There are plenty in Utah...One thing, if you apply to the State of Utah, if you can type, read, you will be hired...maybe do eligibility for food stamps or something. You may not like the job, but it will be a good stepping stone, and they pay tuition reimbursement. In Utah, your race will be to your benefit, in looking for work, I don't know what you do, but a school district would love you, to be a mentor for students, Salt Lake Couty, plenty of work, Valley Mental Health, look at their website.

Last edited by jasper12; 10-12-2010 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 PM

Jasper, to answer your question. I prefer to date within my race, they're just more attractive to me. From the sounds of it though there aren't many. I'm sure I will find one that's my type, I always do.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:04 PM

146 posts, read 420,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistad3 View Post
Jasper, to answer your question. I prefer to date within my race, they're just more attractive to me. From the sounds of it though there aren't many. I'm sure I will find one that's my type, I always do.
What you may want to do is check out some of the bars up around Layton where the Air Force Base is located. There is a higher percentage of African Americans up in that area, if memory serves, could be wrong.

Where you are limited is many of the African American ladies in Utah are LDS, so as far as the hanging out and drinking, it's going to be harder to find someone like that.

Expand the scope of your hunting grounds from Logan to Provo and you may get lucky.

Good luck to you, enjoy Utah for everything it has to offer (mountains) and enjoy your time here.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 AM

313 posts, read 651,669 times
Bars, close to Downtown, younger, close to the U.

That's Sugarhouse neighborhood.

You might have an easier time dating if you are religious. Calvary Baptist is the center of Salt Lake's black community. That and the University.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 PM

73 posts, read 127,259 times
Wow. You like to hang out in bars/clubs and are actually particular about the music they play and/or style of the clientele? And you want to meet a like-minded black woman?

Please listen to me - there are three places you can live and stay sane: Downtown, the University (and any area in between downtown and the university,) and sugarhouse. Honestly, you'll be fine if you live anywhere on the Eastside north of Sugarhouse (but the benches get really bourgeois.)

The westside is more racially diverse, but in Salt Lake that means Latinos and a healthy portion of Pacific Islanders. And there's nothing going on there. You might like Rose Park, though, it's just west of downtown. Most Salt Lakers think it's "the ghetto" but it's just because brown people live there. Mark my words, in a decade or so, Rose Park will be the new gentrifying area of Salt Lake City. The gays know this, they're already moving there.

DO NOT live south of I-80 or west of I-15 (excepting Rose Park,) unless you're fine with commuting to your hangout spots. Feel free to message me with more particular questions.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 PM

90 posts, read 256,268 times
There is great truth in what ammonman says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area