U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 PM

29 posts, read 101,008 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Layton Christian Academy? I'm thinking about applying for a position there. I've read that its religious affiliation is Assembly of God. Is that true? The religious affiliation doesn't matter to me, however, I do not belong to the Assembly of God church.

Also, does anyone have any information on teacher's salaries at private schools? I've heard they're quite low.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,896,679 times
Teacher's salaries in Utah are quite low. Period. It doesn't matter if it is public or private school.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM

1,294 posts, read 2,796,064 times
Is it really true that you don't even have to have background or teaching degree to be a teacher in Utah? Someone was telling me that the other day as I was complaining about my kids school.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:45 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,896,679 times
You most certainly do need a teaching degree to be a teacher in Utah! There are some private schools where that might not be necessary. I am not really sure about that. For public schools a degree is required, however!

Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 PM

226 posts, read 493,900 times
I can help on this one. I'm an educator in both public education and in a teacher preparation program at a local private college. It is true that in Utah you can be a teacher without having gone through a traditional teacher preparation program at a university. There's a route called Alternative Route to Licensure, or ARL. The Utah State Office of Education, Department of Educator Quality and Licensing can give you information about that. Essentially, if a school district needs a teacher and you have life experience in business or industry that gives you particular skills that would allow you to teach in that subject, you can be placed in that teaching position, but are considered "provisional", which means you don't really have job security. While teaching, you also take university level courses toward getting a teaching license. Usually it takes 2-3 years to complete an ARL program, at which point you are given a level one license. Then, you must complete a three year program called Entry Years Enhancement which all school districts provide with no cost to you. At the end of that EYE program, you can be eligible for a level two license, and at that point, you may become a tenured teacher. As you can see, it's not an "easy route", but it's possible. Private schools can hire people who have no teaching license. Most don't. Especially now, with the economy the way it is, there's a big pool of licensed educators without jobs. So all of them would be ahead of you in the job search. Charter schools must comply with all the same requirements for teachers and curriculum that any public school has to comply with. Private schools can do as they please. But honestly, most of them know that their students will transition into public schools at some point, and they try to make sure that their curriculum is in line with the state core curriculum. The difference is that they also offer religion courses, or emphasize a particular thing such as music, theater, math, or science. They also often have very small class sizes which is a big attraction to a lot of parents. Private school teacher salaries are even lower than public school teacher salaries. Utah has the rock bottom dead last per pupil funding in the United States. That's the pool of money teacher salaries come from. And it's the same pool that everything else comes from (except physical buildings which have a different funding source). And that's why in Utah we say "Stack 'em deep, and teach 'em cheap." It's sad. But despite the challenges, we continue to have competitive performance on national tests, good rates of graduation, and good numbers of students going on to higher education. So I guess the rose colored glasses view of education in Utah is that we're very efficient with money and very effective with kids for the money we spend.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:42 PM

226 posts, read 493,900 times
I realize that I'm long winded on this subject - but I hope that's understandable. I just wanted to point out one more thing. Think about your profession. If you graduated at the top of your class in college, had completed a master's degree, and had demonstrated on the job that you were amazing at what you do, would you choose to accept a job in Utah if there were a hundred openings available in your field in every other major city in the United States and every single one of them paid a higher salary than you could get in Utah? I'm sorry, but I don't think you would unless you had compelling family reasons to be here. So why would we expect to attract the best and brightest teachers in the United States? You get what you pay for.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 AM

29 posts, read 101,008 times
I am a licensed teacher in my state. In fact, I went through my state's non-traditional licensure program. However, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to jump through a lot of hoops in order to convert my AR license to a UT license. I was curious what the average salary was at LCA because I think that my current AR license is sufficient enough for them.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,771,747 times
Doesn't appear that anyone knows. Might be best to just call them.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area