Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM

30 posts, read 33,798 times

Advertisements

I am going to be out in SLC for work in early March. Which of the 4 local resorts is best for beginners? I am about intermediate, but want to take my gf, who has never skied before. Would likely ski Saturday/Sunday or Sunday/Monday. The less crowded, the better.

Maybe a dumb question, but are the slopes a bit less crowded on Sundays than one might normally expect, due to the higher level of church attendance in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmejohn View Post
I am going to be out in SLC for work in early March. Which of the 4 local resorts is best for beginners? I am about intermediate, but want to take my gf, who has never skied before. Would likely ski Saturday/Sunday or Sunday/Monday. The less crowded, the better.

Maybe a dumb question, but are the slopes a bit less crowded on Sundays than one might normally expect, due to the higher level of church attendance in the area?
Skibarbie is going to be your best resource as to which resort is the best for beginners. I know that both Brighton and Alta have at least a couple of runs that would be considered beginner runs. She's an expert on the Park City resorts, though, so hopefully she will see your post and reply. You're right about Sunday/Monday being your best choice of days, though.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,252 times
Alta is a good choice for beginners. I would also recommend Solitude. Both Alta and Solitude have a good beginner areas. My husband and I took our brother in law who had only skied 3-4 days to Alta and he had a blast there.

I would stay away from Snowbird - there is really no good terrain there for beginners.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM

325 posts, read 962,945 times
Deer Valley might be a good option (check on the pricing though). It has good beginner and intermediate terrain, grooms their runs like a carpet and---NO OFFENSE TO SNOWBOARDERS---does not allow them, so the dreaded blind side turning that rattles less experienced and beginner skiers is eliminated.

ALTA also has a decent beginner area, less grooming IMHO and also does not allow boarders. Better pricing that Deer Valley.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:53 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmejohn View Post

I think Brighton and Alta are great for newbies. Sunday and Monday will def be your best days to ski. I've always found weekdays to be wide open with no crowds, so Monday is your best bet IMO. I've been up on the slopes in the middle of the week and felt like I had the entire place to myself, it's just amazing.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:02 PM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
I agree with the others: Alta is great all around (my favorite in the SLC area). Brighton has great beginner's runs as well. In fact, for someone who has never skied, Brighton probably has a greater number of "forgiving" beginner's runs.

And yes, Sunday/Monday is a good option if you don't want to stand in line so long. I'd avoid the Park City ski areas unless you are independently wealthy. They are great resorts (Park City, Deer Valley, The Canyons) with good skiing, but you will need to offer your firstborn to ski there. Or mortgage your house.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Solitude - hands down.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 AM

835 posts, read 2,076,438 times
Deer Valley all the way-especially if you want her to keep being your girlfriend! Just kidding,,kinda. DV has the Max4 group lessons which are just that, no snowboarders and great food too. Get your discount lift tickets down here in the valley before you head up, grab your rental gear someplace other than DV as they are at a premium on the rental gear too.
I concur with the other posters that a Sunday, Monday will be less busy than Sat, Sunday..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area