U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 AM

555 posts, read 1,465,920 times

Advertisements

Well, the ground is officially white... I don't think we can pretend to ignore the inevitable any longer, winter is coming! And with it, winter activities!

My kids are a bit young for the skiing, snowboarding, intertubing type stuff (3, 1, and 1) not to mention neither my wife or I are any good at that (how she grew up 20 miles from Red Lodge and never went skiing once still mystifies me!)... but sledding some place tame sounds fun! Are there any public type places in the SLC area (preferably down south as we're in South Jordan) or is it more pick a local hill and have at it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 PM

6,800 posts, read 7,346,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Well, the ground is officially white... I don't think we can pretend to ignore the inevitable any longer, winter is coming! And with it, winter activities!

My kids are a bit young for the skiing, snowboarding, intertubing type stuff (3, 1, and 1) not to mention neither my wife or I are any good at that (how she grew up 20 miles from Red Lodge and never went skiing once still mystifies me!)... but sledding some place tame sounds fun! Are there any public type places in the SLC area (preferably down south as we're in South Jordan) or is it more pick a local hill and have at it?
Come to Daybreak, we have tons of great hills. There is a trail that runs through the middle (the glass info booth is on it), if there is a lot of snow it is a great hill. Check out the field at Daybreak elementary also, it has some nice hills.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:22 PM

19,815 posts, read 55,781,243 times
Further north, there is a slope in Sugar House Park (I-80 and 1300 East) that is full of sledding kids when it's got snow on it. I've seen cardboard boxes and real sleds used there.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:26 PM

226 posts, read 493,951 times
Go outside on a sunny Saturday morning after a snow storm and listen for that combination screaming/laughing sound. Then follow your ears. Children are born with internal navigation that will infallibly get them to a sledding hill (or a mud puddle). Now I'll get serious. Think of streets that are close to you that are steepest. Find a school, church, or park on that street and you'll find kids sledding.
But it's going to be really tough to beat Sugarhouse Park.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM

224 posts, read 524,663 times
We've gone to the Riverton Golf Course before, There is a nice hill there. But we haven't been lately and I'm thinking it is because it was closed it to sledders the last time we tried. West Ridge Golf Course may have some good hills as well.

But if you want to make a longer day of it, try the Spruces area up Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 22,299 times
If you don't mind a little drive head up to Soldier Hollow.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 10,727 times
I am from just outside of redlodge as well... little place called Joliet. If you can make it up little cottonwood canyon. at the very top there is a sick sledding run set up every year

Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Come to Daybreak, we have tons of great hills. There is a trail that runs through the middle (the glass info booth is on it), if there is a lot of snow it is a great hill. Check out the field at Daybreak elementary also, it has some nice hills.
How's the sledding up there? We're looking to take the kids out today or tomorrow before the snow melts again!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:03 AM

6,800 posts, read 7,346,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
How's the sledding up there? We're looking to take the kids out today or tomorrow before the snow melts again!

All my kids are sick so we arn't out but we have lots of snow!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
All my kids are sick so we arn't out but we have lots of snow!
How do I get to the glass booth? I think I saw it when we went to look at a house or two up there but I don't see it on any of the Daybreak maps so figured I'd ask. Can you offer direction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area