Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times

Advertisements

I am reposting my post from a Daybreak site, it is about the raging debate going on about the 30th or 31st for trick or treating.

I have been trying to think of a way to talk about tolerance. I do admire those who really want to keep Sunday as a family day. Before I moved here I read a lot of forums where people talk about what it is like living in Utah, one rare theme among non-LDS was that they felt shunned or ignored by their LDS neighbors. Having now lived here over one year I have not seen any of that, I am sure it happens but it hasn’t to me. We drink wine, coffee and cokes on our porch (not always at the same time) and haven’t had one problem, maybe I am just lucky.

For me I look at it this way, what drew me to Utah was for the most part settled and built by the LDS; there is a lot of good in what was created here. Every area has their unique customs and traditions, some strange some not. This debate is not unique to Utah, do a news search. The Sunday family day is important to the LDS and many Christians, like it or not there are a lot of people here who do enjoy family day. I would rather blend in with the customs of a community then try and barge my way in and ask everyone else to change for me, especially regarding something happens so rarely. I do notice that adults have no problem going to Halloween parties on other days, why is it all of the sudden more sacred when kids are involved?

That being said I do hope that more LDS have a welcoming attitude about this debate as opposed to a “like it or leave it” attitude, I have not experienced any negativity but it sounds as if this attitude is out there.

Remember, this is a day for KIDS, they don’t care about petty political and religious statements of principal, and they just want candy. I hear people champion the idea of religious tolerance all over the news; it does seem that for many that tolerance ends when it involves a politically incorrect religion.

The next year that this will happen is 2021, is it really that bad to adjust every 6-11 years?

Old 10-25-2010, 12:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
I'm not sure I get the point. Are you arguing for or against a 30th Trick or Treat? WHo is supposed to adjust?

This is not a unique UT feature, either. Many Southern and some Southwestern towns adjust holidays that fall on Sundays. My son's Texas town had fireworks on July 3, Saturday. In New Orleans, a lot of churches hold their "trunk or treat" on Sat. when Halloween is on Sunday. In Miss., very few small towns have Trick or Treat on a Sunday.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I'm not sure I get the point. Are you arguing for or against a 30th Trick or Treat? WHo is supposed to adjust?

This is not a unique UT feature, either. Many Southern and some Southwestern towns adjust holidays that fall on Sundays. My son's Texas town had fireworks on July 3, Saturday. In New Orleans, a lot of churches hold their "trunk or treat" on Sat. when Halloween is on Sunday. In Miss., very few small towns have Trick or Treat on a Sunday.
Both. I have read that people will be putting signs up saying (we only give candy on the 31st etc) and others will be lights out on the 31st in protest. I will gladly give out both days.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:53 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,076 times
We anticipate most of the crowd being on Saturday, however we have enough candy for both days and hopefully we will get some on Sunday, too!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:56 PM

It's really a moot point for me as my dogs make it impossible to have treats. I'm dark on both nights.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,884 times
The town where I live will be TorTing on Sat. The last time this happened, my H took the kids out AGAIN on Sun, but up near Ogden!

I'll give you candy whenever you come!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 PM

7 posts, read 24,487 times
Interesting side note; there is a petition of sorts going around in New Orleans to have trick-or-treat on Saturday instead of Synday because the Saints have the Sunday night game.

I guess it comes down to "priorities". It's a free country so if folks do it Saturday instead, so be it; on Sunday, that's ok too. If someone from the community takes some sort of initiative to coordinate which day works best then run with it and have fun. In the end, it's about the kids.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt25 View Post
Interesting side note; there is a petition of sorts going around in New Orleans to have trick-or-treat on Saturday instead of Synday because the Saints have the Sunday night game.

I guess it comes down to "priorities". It's a free country so if folks do it Saturday instead, so be it; on Sunday, that's ok too. If someone from the community takes some sort of initiative to coordinate which day works best then run with it and have fun. In the end, it's about the kids.
Good post Red! Welcome.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 PM

9,373 posts, read 6,972,249 times
I'll be honest here and my opinion won't be that popular.... Since moving to Utah the Holiday thing on Sundays is about the only Mormon/LDS thing that pisses me off.

Happend on 4th of July, happening on Halloween, and christ will they postpone Christmas in 2011 when it falls on a Sunday? I mean this is the United States 2010 not Jeresalem 1st century.

I understand yada yada yada Sabith this sabith that but come on!

I was raised in FL as Methodist and yes the deep south has tons of Baptists. They do follow the general rule of thumb about Sundays but use a common sense approach when it comes to holidays.

/ rant

Happy Trunk or Treating!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 PM

So what? The holiday is still celebrated. You do your thing on whatever day you want to. There were fireworks on both days for July 4. There will be trick or treaters on both days and houses for them on both days. Maybe not as many as you want, but everyone has the right to do what they want.

It just burns my grits when people love things about UT that are definitely due to the LDS influence yet get so bent out of shape over a relatively little thing, in the grand scheme of a safe and comfortable life. That's my rant for the evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area