U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 02:19 PM

378 posts, read 1,725,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn2006 View Post
wow - thanks, everyone. found some feasable places NE of Park City which seem 'commutable' to SLD, and will continue the search in Tooele County. thanks very much for putting me on the right track. what a great web site this is. i'm in upstate NY - think i'll 'pay it forward' and see if anyone needs some info on this area in the NY forum.
Sweet! I used to live in Upstate NY and VT. You live near Saratoga Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 29,376 times
nope - even further up than Saratoga Springs - between Rochester and Syracuse, near Lake Ontario - I was born and bred here so contemplating a move out west is a huge move for us. NEVER thought I would be looking at Utah but we'll see! I think your weather there is more moderate than the blistering hot summer and wicked snow winters (not great for horses) so that's appealing...

Old 08-21-2006, 09:48 AM

378 posts, read 1,725,345 times
Quote:
nope - even further up than Saratoga Springs - between Rochester and Syracuse, near Lake Ontario - I was born and bred here so contemplating a move out west is a huge move for us. NEVER thought I would be looking at Utah but we'll see! I think your weather there is more moderate than the blistering hot summer and wicked snow winters (not great for horses) so that's appealing...
I spent some time near Watertown and Thousand Island region on the easten side of the Lake Ontario. The winter up there is sooooooo bitter cold! Or wicked cold as the locals say. The Utah winters are not nearly as cold or as icy. You also get to see the sun once in while during the winter in Utah.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:28 AM

347 posts, read 1,412,690 times
I used to live in Schenectady myself. The areas west of Park City are nice. Heber and Midway especially. It's at least a 45 minute commute and the land prices are not going to be a good value, though. I would stick with Tooele (it's pronounced too-IL-uh, by the way) or the west areas of the SL Valley. They are very livestock friendly, as is most of the SL valley (it has been mostly rural up until the last 20 years or so.)
The bias against the west side is very absurd. I remember when I moved to Utah in 2002 and everyone kept telling me to move to the east side so I would have an address with cachet. If I wanted an address with cachet I wouldn't have been moving to Utah! LOL. Maybe 10 years ago the west side was looked down upon, but the valley has just exploded recently and that's not really true at all. The east side is really showing its age. I wouldn't live there at all.
The weather is so much better in Utah than in New York. It's sunny all the time. At least compared to the Northeast. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2008, 03:19 PM

16 posts, read 54,184 times
I don't think I saw it mentioned, but Wanship is "horse country". It's just a few miles east of Park City and is a 40 minute commute to the University area of SLC. Several of my neighbors have horses, and most lots are several acres in size.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 22,325 times
Default Depends upon where. . . .

Quote:
thank you, everyone, for weighing in. sounds like we're pretty limited - I have read some not-so-flattering things about the 'west side' on other threads on this site...is that what we're reduced to? maybe I have misunderstood those threads - I'll check them out again. if so, it might be enough reason for us NOT to move (gotta have my horses! I know...I want my cake, etc...).
Really Tooele County, just west of Salt Lake County, has a load of potential. It's rural enough that you can ride around in the town if you want, the mountains on both sides are pretty. North and South Willow Canyons on the west side of the valley have really lovely riding through aspens with streams rushing down.

Just bear in mind that Tooele County will be more LDS than Salt Lake County. However, you've got the natural friendliness of small towns that will likely compensate for it. Most Mormon's don't try to be exclusionary but the culture of no drinking, drugs, smokes may seem like that to some. Frankly, if you can deal with being in an area of ANY predominant religion, it takes adaptation. Overall, people are pretty friendly here.

If you want 15 acres, you won't find it in SL unless you have millions to spend.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM

287 posts, read 668,164 times
Logan has really beautiful horse property and lots of open space. The commute is around 75 min from the south end of the valley. It's a really nice college town and laid back community.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:20 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,170,100 times
Magna has horse property.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:40 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,958,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post

I live near the base of the Oquirrh mountains. While it is a West Valley address, it is worlds different from the older parts of West Valley. They are building like crazy, and none of the homes, which the exception of the horse properties I mentioned, are older than 5 years in my neighborhood. My property value jumped about $30,000 overnight when Kennecott Land announced its next planned development, similar to daybreak, will be next door.
coolcats.....What's the latest with the Oquirrh side development wise? I heard Kennecott has decided to scrub much of their development plans and stay in the mining biz due to a combination of the price of copper going way up, the soft R.E. market and resistance from local government on not obtaining all their development wishes.....

But I suppose what is bad for development is good for horses, as the zoning does not get split into infinity and the new neighbors do not start to attempt to zone out the horses....

Old 05-29-2008, 07:18 PM

15,320 posts, read 27,464,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
coolcats.....What's the latest with the Oquirrh side development wise? I heard Kennecott has decided to scrub much of their development plans and stay in the mining biz due to a combination of the price of copper going way up, the soft R.E. market and resistance from local government on not obtaining all their development wishes.....

But I suppose what is bad for development is good for horses, as the zoning does not get split into infinity and the new neighbors do not start to attempt to zone out the horses....
Hi - coolcats is taking some well deserved time off. He should be back around June 1st or 2nd. I am your substitute moderator and I am sorry, but I can't help you with any Utah information. I am sure he will respond when he returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or