U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 AM

15,924 posts, read 36,041,248 times

Advertisements

I guess what I'm asking is does SLC seem noticeably safer or different in some way because of its mormon influence.

Less crime, less drugs, less violence, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 2 days ago)

47,635 posts, read 45,275,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I guess what I'm asking is does SLC seem noticeably safer or different in some way because of its mormon influence.

Less crime, less drugs, less violence, etc.?
No. In fact, I watched the History Channel a while ago about Crips moving into Salt Lake City. One might think with a very small African-American population, there would be no Crips in Utah. Wrong? There are Polynesian Crips. Oddly enough, many of them were in the Mormon Church. This was the situation. During the 1970's and 1980's, there were immigrants moving to the USA from the Pacific Islands, especially from Tonga and Samoa. The Mormon Church did alot of proselytizing in the Pacific. Many brought the faith with them to the USA. One of the main places of settlement was Los Angeles. However, Los Angeles had alot of temptations, such as gangs and other bad things to get into. Many persons went to live in Salt Lake City to escape the problems in Los Angeles. The Mormon Church encouraged it. The idea was to escape from the gangs and violence in California. Sadly, some gang members went to Utah. There were incentives. California had a three strikes law. Three strikes and you do at least 25 years in prison. Many gang members were on their second strike and figured "I can't stay out of trouble here, but I don't want to go to prison. I'll go to Utah instead, where there is no three strikes law". This is what some gang members did.

This is my take on it: Most people came to SLC to get away from the gangs. The gang issues managed to follow into SLC anyway. They aren't the only gangs in Utah. There are Notenos here, Surenos, racist skinheads, motorcycle gangs,etc. There are gangs here, as there are in most major cities. That being said, the murder rate in SLC is not as high as most major cities.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:12 PM

2,296 posts, read 5,085,615 times
If you made that statement prior to 1980 I would have said absolutely. However the church made one fatal mistake. They invited the Tongan's in in droves with their already gang involved teens back in 1980, as well as allowing LA County to empty some of their jails of their gang felons due to overflow, (by invite of Utah) and enter the Utah penal system, where they promptly set up shop with our naive and ripe and ready for the picking society here. It hasn't been the same since and never will be the wonderful safe haven it was prior. Sometimes it only takes ONE wrong move. They made that move back then with no looking back.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 2 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
If you made that statement prior to 1980 I would have said absolutely. However the church made one fatal mistake. They invited the Tongan's in in droves with their already gang involved teens back in 1980, as well as allowing LA County to empty some of their jails of their gang felons due to overflow, (by invite of Utah) and enter the Utah penal system, where they promptly set up shop with our naive and ripe and ready for the picking society here. It hasn't been the same since and never will be the wonderful safe haven it was prior. Sometimes it only takes ONE wrong move. They made that move back then with no looking back.
Not all of the Tongans were in gangs. Some of them were. However, the reason many Tongans and other Polynesian ethnic groups were coming to Utah was to get away from the problems in California. I won't lie. There were some who were looking to get away from the penal system and to get away from the three strikes law. However, there are good people who came to get away from Los Angeles and to have a better life in a safer community. The gangs just followed. Actually, I already mentioned this in my last post. The situation in SLC is not unlike what African-Americans were dealing with moving to the Twin Cities area in the 1980's and 1990's. There were many African-Americans looking for a safer place to live with more opportunities and some were looking to get back on their feet. They were coming from places like Chicago and Detroit. There were also gangs that followed because there was not much of a gang following in the Twin Cities, which made if ripe for gangs to move in.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM

6,800 posts, read 7,347,423 times
I have to laugh about the "Gang" problem in Salt Lake, do they have them? Sure but it isn't like other big cities. I grew up with gangs on my block, so I know what to look for. In my year living here I have seen very little signs of widespread gang activity. In Simi Valley, CA (often ranked the safest city in the US), I would see them and their presence daily.

There are a couple areas I don't like to go in but since I am not "hanging" in those areas, I feel rather safe going through them.

To give you an idea of the crime in Utah for all of 2009 we had a total of
Spoiler
murders.

We ranked 4th from the bottom for the murder rate at 1.3 per 100,000 people. My old state CA was 5.3 and the worst state Louisiana with 11.8 murders per 100,000 people.

Here are all the murders for 2009. Grim tally: Utah homicide victims 2009 | Deseret News

Pretty darn nice here IMHO.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavMeAlone View Post
Yeah, must be religion...
I am sure it is a factor but the state does draw people like me who want to be in a safe area.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:20 AM

1,294 posts, read 2,796,580 times
Yes Utah is very safe compared to other states. There is no doubt. Denver has much higher crime rates.

Is it because of the LDS influence? Perhaps, probably is a pretty safe answer. The far less LDS populated towns (WVC, SLC etc) do have worse crime statistics. But that could just be a factor of a larger population.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Yes Utah is very safe compared to other states. There is no doubt. Denver has much higher crime rates.

Is it because of the LDS influence? Perhaps, probably is a pretty safe answer. The far less LDS populated towns (WVC, SLC etc) do have worse crime statistics. But that could just be a factor of a larger population.
It could also be strong community ties. Wherever community ties are weak, crime is more likely.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:21 PM

19,815 posts, read 55,790,617 times
The year I left New Orleans, there were 373 muders in that one city alone. That was in 1996. UT and SLC seem like a VERY safe place to me.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The year I left New Orleans, there were 373 muders in that one city alone. That was in 1996. UT and SLC seem like a VERY safe place to me.
Wow, was that the metro area or just the city? The city only had 475,000 at that time and the metro was only 1.3 million. Since Utah has over 2.7 million people, 34 murders is darn impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area