U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:55 AM

16 posts, read 31,760 times

Advertisements

Looking over my speadsheet, I've found that my list of places to investigate has been getting progressively longer rather than narrowed down! In addition to Summit Park, Sugharhouse, and Farmington, I think I'll also take a look at Cottonwood Heights, East "Millcrick", Holladay, and possibly Daybreak over in South Jordan. We were leaning towards something in or near the mountains on the eastern side of the city, but the description of Daybreak matches a lot of what my wife is looking for in a community (newer homes, lots of walking paths, stores nearby, etc). I loved the size of the homes I've seen listed in Farmington, but to echo nemmert, there doesn't seem to be as much "stuff" in that area. Or am I mistaken? I'm pretty much basing my assumptions on google maps so there is a pretty good chance I have no idea what I'm talking about!!

I also jotted down a note that I read somewhere that some areas of the eastern benches have had some problems of flooding, but I apparently didn't include any details. Is there any truth to that, and if so, which areas should I be leery of? Also, any other thoughts/feedback on any of the areas I'm planning to check out?

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM

226 posts, read 495,963 times
I live in Holladay and work in Park City. My family is mixed race. So hopefully, I can answer some of your questions accurately. I always like that I work in Park City because it allows me out of the inversion. One of my kids has a chronic respiratory illness and he does suffer from the inversions, even though Holladay is a "bench" community. "Bench" means that we are higher in elevation than most of the valley, so sometimes the inversion isn't quite as bad in Holladay as it is in the lower elevation parts of the valley. To get completely out of the inversions, Park City (Summit Park) is good. I'm a Park City School District employee, so I'm terribly biased :-) but I think it's an excellent school district. It has smaller class sizes than most districts in Utah and more funding. In terms of real estate, Summit Park is probably one of the more affordable areas in Park City. But keep in mind that cold and altitude might affect your asthma. Summit Park gets a lot of snow and sometimes residents there joke that the only summer they get is the first week of August. It's good that you're visiting in January! When you look at houses, keep in mind that having a south-facing yard in Summit Park would be a good thing. I agree that you should also look for houses in Holladay. Your price range seems very reasonable for either Summit Park or Holladay. Both of those areas have a mix of older and newer housing. The commute from Summit Park to downtown would be about 30 min. on most days. In the worst winter storms, it would easily double. So...that's still 1/2 hr. less than your wife's daily commute now. I'd say that there would be fewer than 10 days each winter when snow would impact her commute. Getting out of Summit Park on those days would be white knuckle driving. But the interstate (I-80) is plowed pretty well. Getting out of Holladay on bad winter drive days is a lot easier. The commute to downtown from Holladay would take about the same time (maybe a little less) than from Summit Park. My son goes to school in Park City and hasn't experienced any significant discrimination. He's had a couple of students say things that were either ignorant or thoughtless but he's handled it on his own successfully. At home in Holladay, our neighbors are fabulous and we have never had any hint of racism or discrimination. But the schools in Holladay are not as good as those in Park City (one of my kids has attended school in both places). The schools in Holladay are inconsistent in quality. There are some fabulous teachers but also some that are pretty poor and the class sizes are enormous. So, all things considered, I think I would lean slightly toward Summit Park for you.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:20 PM

555 posts, read 1,471,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildenGuy View Post
Looking over my speadsheet, I've found that my list of places to investigate has been getting progressively longer rather than narrowed down! In addition to Summit Park, Sugharhouse, and Farmington, I think I'll also take a look at Cottonwood Heights, East "Millcrick", Holladay, and possibly Daybreak over in South Jordan. We were leaning towards something in or near the mountains on the eastern side of the city, but the description of Daybreak matches a lot of what my wife is looking for in a community (newer homes, lots of walking paths, stores nearby, etc). I loved the size of the homes I've seen listed in Farmington, but to echo nemmert, there doesn't seem to be as much "stuff" in that area. Or am I mistaken? I'm pretty much basing my assumptions on google maps so there is a pretty good chance I have no idea what I'm talking about!!

I also jotted down a note that I read somewhere that some areas of the eastern benches have had some problems of flooding, but I apparently didn't include any details. Is there any truth to that, and if so, which areas should I be leery of? Also, any other thoughts/feedback on any of the areas I'm planning to check out?

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Daybreak seemed very "artsy fartsy" to my wife and I... and in a lot of those homes you'd better REALLY like your neighbor as you could reach your hand out the kitchen window and touch their house. You're also not going to find shopping within walking distance though they are a close drive. At some point they're supposed to be extending the train tracks up there which might make a good commute though.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:26 PM

6,803 posts, read 7,382,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Daybreak seemed very "artsy fartsy" to my wife and I... and in a lot of those homes you'd better REALLY like your neighbor as you could reach your hand out the kitchen window and touch their house. You're also not going to find shopping within walking distance though they are a close drive. At some point they're supposed to be extending the train tracks up there which might make a good commute though.
The look of the homes are unique, especially some of the new ones like the solar homes. I think one of the reasons this area is very popular with Californians is because almost every home built in CA for the last 30 years is Salmon color, seeing purple and red houses is kinda cool.

Most homes are close but you can find bigger lots, we have friends with a half acre. I like small lots, less upkeep and snow removal.

The SoDa Row shopping is slow to start but we have heard that a 7-11 is moving in. The long term plan is for a walkable community. Trax opens on August 7th, it will be great to have that in Daybreak. There is shopping right down the hill in the District, it would be a long walk though.

It is a love it or hate it kinda place, nothing wrong with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area