Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:38 PM

16 posts, read 36,014 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
First off I wanted to say a big 'Thank You!' to all the great posters on this site! We just found out a couple of days ago that my wife will most likely be getting transferred to SLC for work in the spring, and I've been trying to learn what I can about the area since then. To be honest, I was a little hesitant when she first told me, but after reading what has been posted on this site I'm feeling much more comfortable with the idea. Having said that, I still have quite a few questions. I thank you all in advance for any information you can provide.

First off, a little background on us. We are in our mid-30's, currently living in NJ, a mixed race couple, and while we do not currently have any children we are hoping to have some in the near future. She will have her job, and I will hopefully be transferring to Univ of Utah to continue the graduate studies I started this past year, or perhaps going back to my former employer as a virtual worker (technology PM). We are non practicing Christians who would like to have a sense of community that is not necessarily tied to church activities. We understand that moving to SLC implies a certain level of LDS influence (I guess sort of like somebody coming to NJ and asking why there are so many Italians, but x10!), but we'd be more comfortable in a neighborhood that is closer to a 50-50 split, or at least where we would not stand out too much. We just don't want to be the only folks on the block enjoying a frosty cool adult beverage while cooking out. We'd like to live someplace with access to shopping, walking trails (seems like that won't be a problem!), and a nice local library.

Real estate wise, we'd like to have a newer house or at least one updated kitchen and bathrooms, with at least 3-4 bedrooms, some yard, and the great views the area has to offer. My wife will be commuting into downtown SLC and would like to remain within about 30-35 mins of her office (near the state capital building). Based on our hope for a family, we'd also want to live in a place with as good a school district as we can find. I've seen references to both Davis County district and the Park City district being strong, but haven't had a chance to dig into that yet. We are comfortable spending 375-450k (could go a little higher for a dream house). I'd love any feedback from folks who know the area on these neighborhoods:

Summit Park
Sugarhouse
Farmington

Summit Park seems like it really fits what we'd like, but I'm a little nervous about comments I've seen about the commute in the winter into downtown SLC.
Sugarhouse seems nice, but the houses I've seen online seem a little older and smaller than what I think we had in mind (unless we spend a lot more $$$). Would Mill Creek be a good alternative?
Farmington seems nice too, but all the houses I saw online seemed to be in developments still under construction. We'd probably prefer the vegetation/landscaping to be a little more mature.

Oh, and one more consideration... I have pretty bad asthma and am a little worried about the inversion (sp?) effect I've read about. Will I be better off in a place like Summit Park or Farmington, or does it not really matter?

In addition to the areas listed, I'm also open to any other suggestions. I've seen quite a few people on here suggest Federal Heights, the Avenues, and Cottonwoods. Are they similar to the places I'm currenly looking at? On second thought, I guess that's a dumb question since it doesn't seem that the places I've listed are really "like" each other"... hahaha

Thanks so much for any help you can provide, and I apologize in advance if I've said anything exceptionally ignorant or offensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Hi, GuildenGuy. Welcome to the Salt Lake forum. Hopefully, we can provide some good information for you. Based upon the information you've provided so far, I'd say that you ought to be able to find a place here that will suit you pretty well. If you're able to pay up to $450K for a home, you will have lots of choices. The Federal Heights area and the "upper" Avenues would both be excellent areas. Both are within just a few minutes from both the State Capitol Building and the University of Utah campus. Parts of Holladay and Cottonwood Heights would be other good options. They're a little farther from downtown and the "U" but are still less than a half hour's drive. Draper is also exceptionally nice, but a little further away and probably a little heavier LDS. (When it gets closer to your move, if you do not have a realtor in mind, if you'd like to send me a direct message, I can recommend a very good one.)

So far, by the way, you said nothing ignorant or offensive. That's a great start! By the way, one of our posters, Kaytidid, might be a good source of information for you since she is also from New Jersey.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Ah yes, my old stomping grounds. What exit are you from, GuildenGuy? LOL..just that old Jersey joke. I actually lived 9 years in Burlington County before moving here 16 years ago. There are times when I miss Jersey, but I love it here way too much to miss it for very long

Welcome to Utah! I think you will like living here just fine!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
What may be deceiving in photos is that many houses in Sugar House have been gutted and re-done. You would need to read the details pretty carefully. Many have been re-wired and re-plumbed as well.

Yes, the inversion will get you. When the TV news says it's a red air day, I stay inside due to asthma. The higher up you are, the less effect you wil feel. So from that point, Summit Park would be the best and the Upper Avenues the second best.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:02 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What may be deceiving in photos is that many houses in Sugar House have been gutted and re-done. You would need to read the details pretty carefully. Many have been re-wired and re-plumbed as well.

Yes, the inversion will get you. When the TV news says it's a red air day, I stay inside due to asthma. The higher up you are, the less effect you wil feel. So from that point, Summit Park would be the best and the Upper Avenues the second best.
The inversion did not reach us on the West side much, my asthmatic has been great here.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 AM

16 posts, read 36,014 times
Thanks so much for your responses!

I'll add some of those suggestions to my list of places to investigate. We're thinking we'll probably try to come out for a few days in early January to investigate first hand, and this board has been a huge help in narrowing our focus. My wife has been there for business before, but it will be my first taste.

I appreciate your offer Katzpur, as we get closer to our actual move date I'll check in with you on that realtor. It is always nice to get a recommended one and not just going with whoever has the nicest looking website/print ads!

I'm excited at the prospect of jump starting myself out of the sedentary life I've grown into here in NJ. And she's definitely excited to cut down on her current 90 minute commute! Also, I'm glad to see the former NJ folks are enjoying life in Utah. I laughed at the conversation in another thread around the differences in NY/NJ humor vs other places. I have visited South Carolina a lot and have definitely noticed my sarcasm didn't go over quite as well there. But I imagine once people get to know each other they start to pick up on how they each think/speak. I'm definitely looking forward to having people be nice as a matter of course instead of when they simply want something!

One random question that has popped into my mind when checking out real estate (in Summit Park and Farmington rather than in SLC proper) has been comments regarding wildlife in the yard. Growing up in a pretty dense suburb of NYC, wildlife meant squirrels, raccoons, and the occasional skunk. As I've moved further away from the city I've expanded that definition to include coyotes, fox, and the deer that treat my garden like an all you can eat salad bar. Is that about what I should expect in those areas when ads mention wildlife, or does it also mean moose/elk/bears/mountain lions/etc? We have plenty of bears in NJ so that wouldn't be too different, but the others would be a new experience.

Now for the truly critical question for transplanted northeasterners... Has anybody found a good way of getting all the Yankee games in HD? hahahaha

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildenGuy View Post
Thanks so much for your responses!

I'll add some of those suggestions to my list of places to investigate. We're thinking we'll probably try to come out for a few days in early January to investigate first hand, and this board has been a huge help in narrowing our focus. My wife has been there for business before, but it will be my first taste.

I appreciate your offer Katzpur, as we get closer to our actual move date I'll check in with you on that realtor. It is always nice to get a recommended one and not just going with whoever has the nicest looking website/print ads!

I'm excited at the prospect of jump starting myself out of the sedentary life I've grown into here in NJ. And she's definitely excited to cut down on her current 90 minute commute! Also, I'm glad to see the former NJ folks are enjoying life in Utah. I laughed at the conversation in another thread around the differences in NY/NJ humor vs other places. I have visited South Carolina a lot and have definitely noticed my sarcasm didn't go over quite as well there. But I imagine once people get to know each other they start to pick up on how they each think/speak. I'm definitely looking forward to having people be nice as a matter of course instead of when they simply want something!

One random question that has popped into my mind when checking out real estate (in Summit Park and Farmington rather than in SLC proper) has been comments regarding wildlife in the yard. Growing up in a pretty dense suburb of NYC, wildlife meant squirrels, raccoons, and the occasional skunk. As I've moved further away from the city I've expanded that definition to include coyotes, fox, and the deer that treat my garden like an all you can eat salad bar. Is that about what I should expect in those areas when ads mention wildlife, or does it also mean moose/elk/bears/mountain lions/etc? We have plenty of bears in NJ so that wouldn't be too different, but the others would be a new experience.

Now for the truly critical question for transplanted northeasterners... Has anybody found a good way of getting all the Yankee games in HD? hahahaha
I like your attitude; we approve your application to move to Utah! :-) LOL.

Have you considered renting for starters to get an idea of where you would like to live? We are doing this and I know a few transplants that are doing the same. My co-worker moved out here and while she likes her area, she does want to move to a different part of "town". Being a renter that is easy. With your breathing issues you may want to consider that, you don't want to be in a part of town that gets slammed with the inversion if it ends up affecting you. Housing is not setting the world on fire here yet so you don't want to feel stuck if you buy.

I know moving sucks but now days with pods etc. it is a lot easier.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Satellite & cable companies both offer MLB channel in HD. But as far as some way to see ALL the Yankees games, I'm not sure. I don't watch the MLB network. I watch college football and Jazz (NBA) games.

Visiting in January is a good idea. Mid January - mid February is typically the worst time of year for inversions. You'll get to experience them first hand. Our local news advises us (by county) which areas are the worst. Starting in the north in Cache county down to Utah county in the south. While you're here, if I-80 is safe to drive, go up to Park City and you can look down on the Salt Lake valley and see all the unhealthy air.

Here's a link to the Main Street Salt Lake City library. There are other branches (though not as grand) throughout the valley.
Attached Thumbnails
Neighborhood comparison for potential move-counties-utah.gif  

Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,069 times
You might want to do some research in the Holiday area. It's close to sugar house, but it's close to both freeways, close to down town, close to everything. There are lots of beautiful areas and fine living space.

Moderator cut: against the TOS
And Welcome to Utah!!!!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-24-2010 at 11:38 AM..

Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,942 times
For a newer home in that budget you'll have to look north in Kaysville/Farmington or south in South Jordan/Sandy/Draper... you won't find much inside of that which is new and in that budget... all those areas are within the commuting time you mentioned.

If you're looking for the views, I would go South (actually, we did, South Jordan) as the Mountains look far more impressive down there versus what we saw up north of Bountiful.

I would also suggest looking into amenities... the Kaysville/Farmington areas seemed very much like bedroom communities to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area