Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:49 PM

317 posts, read 647,297 times

Advertisements

Rockville, like Springdale is expensive and hosts millions of nature loving people from all around the world on their way to Zion. Cedar City is increasingly dominated by the University, which attracts people from all over, and there are lots of arty things going on, so I would not suggest either to FordVictory.

I would suggest Nutty Putty Cave.. it was built before WW2 and if he closes the door behind himself, he'll likely find the cultural homogeneity looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM

226 posts, read 564,725 times
I would suggest Nutty Putty Cave.. it was built before WW2 and if he closes the door behind himself, he'll likely find the cultural homogeneity looking for. [/quote]

Well, you made me smile, but I will refrain from commenting on who he'd be sharing the cave with.

I still want to move to Rockville every time I drive through. Wow, what gorgeous homes. I hope they have brutally stringent building requirements. It's hard not to compare Rockville with Springdale when you drive through one and then the other. I know which one I'd rather live in.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,421,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordvictory View Post

Yes but do these places have a large religious presence? And by religious presence I mean a religion that actually enforces it's rules on members.

I can't understand why anyone with a liberal bent would wanna go to Utah? They should come to California and sing kumbaya.

Obviously, you've never considered Georgia or any of the other states with predominant religions - where the state legislatures are full of right wingtards legislating morality.

Oklahoma? Can you say Oral Roberts?

There are parts of inland California that are out and out racist havens. They shoot liberals for sport. Ever been to Auburn, CA? Haven for neo-nazis.

Liberal pinko here, too. You will be surprised at how compassionate Utahns can be. And I mean that in a VERY liberal mindset.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:34 PM

32 posts, read 72,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Obviously, you've never considered Georgia or any of the other states with predominant religions - where the state legislatures are full of right wingtards legislating morality.
There's a difference between affiliation and practice. Most of south America is Catholic, but the Catholic church has gone soft. So members aren't regulated. I don't care about ideas. For all I care, people can worship a tree stump or a camel's ass. All I care about are the rites a people practice. My question first and foremost is are the rites of a religion enforced? My second question is does the denomination have critical mass to influence local and regional practices.

I don't know of any other state that's dominated by a singular denomination like Mormons whom have the centralized authority to enforce rites. Mormons make Utah an extremely unique state, even among conservative states. Conservatism alone doesn't equate religion.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:57 PM

It's very interesting that you consider yourself an atheist but evidently value homogeneous communities that are dominated by a strong religious majority. I am starting to wonder if what you are assuming about the LDS church's influence is really accurate. So before you get really serious about moving here, it might be worth further exploration of what it is that you believe to be true about communities dominated by LDS church members.

In response to your question about "enforcement" of the rites of a religion, I would say that the majority of conservative LDS church members don't really need "enforcement". They voluntarily live in accordance with their beliefs. Because Utah was originally founded by members of the LDS church, the history and culture have been influenced by a large degree by the beliefs of that church. The smaller towns in Utah are for the most part populated by third or fourth generation Utahns, who naturally continue to practice the religion they grew up with in the community in which they were raised. So, it's more the social and community ties that reinforce lifestyle choices than "enforcement" by the LDS church, in my opinion. So, why does it matter to you whether a religion enforces it's rites if you aren't a member and don't care about the specific rites?

As to your second question, the "critical mass" of LDS membership needed to influence politics and lifestyle is present in much of Utah county, and in the smaller towns that have been referred to in earlier posts.

I'm concerned, though, that you have an image of Utah that might not actually be accurate. I am beginning to wonder if Utah really has what you are looking for. Can you please be more specific about what it is that attracts you to a community with "enforcement" of religious values, and "authority" exercised by a religious group? Is it that you hope to find a law-abiding mostly Anglo small town with conservative politics? Or do you seek something other than that?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
The OP's question bothers me. I can't for the life of me figure out what he is looking for or what he thinks life in UT is like.
-Sure, people dress more modestly on average but we have Goths and Punks and scantily-clad girls - just not so many of them;
-We have drunk-driving accidents all the time - in fact, my last car was totaled by a drunk who ran into my car head-on;
-People are gunned down weekly - not nightly maybe, Dcesive would know better than I do;
-We have alcohol available in restaurants/stores, just not all the choices other states have;
-We have domestic violence cases/murders/shootings, just like anywhere else;
-and yes, there are fewer African-Americans here than many other places but a lot more Hispanics than many other places.

So what is it the OP is looking for?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I'm confused too. That's why I'd like a more specific description of Fordvictory's ideal town. 'Cause honestly, I'm not sure that it exists in Utah or anywhere else.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Fordvictory - Here's something to think about. The most extreme authoritarian and rigidly religious community in Utah is Hilldale. But you'd never be allowed to live there. So, learn what you can about Hilldale, and then tell us if it is the type of community you are looking for. We can go from there.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:25 PM

25,225 posts, read 18,382,119 times
I'm very intrigued by the OP. I'm not 100% sure where you're going with this, but it is interesting. It looks as though you are thinking much more broadly than just religion. Perhaps more in the "collective social behavior" direction. I'll be interested to see where this thread goes.

As for the LDS church "enforcing" its "rites." If I understand what you are asking on this one, the answer would be yes. Of course, membership in the church is voluntary; but if you are an active member, you are expected to live by the standards. Otherwise, you are not in good standing. The LDS church is one of the few these days which holds the belief that ordinances and "rules" are dictated by God and directed through the prophet (president of the church). They get a lot of flack for it sometimes because most Christian churches now seem to be a democracy or oligarchy, pliable to the whim of its membership--which in my eyes, proves their falsity. I'm not sure if that's what you are getting at with your questions, but yes, although there are all sorts of people here in Utah, both mormon and non, religious and atheist, if one wants to be an LDS member in good standing, "God's laws" are enforced. The only choice is whether you are willing to accept the rules or not. A member's place is not to infuse "God's laws" with "man's desires." At least this is my understanding.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:07 PM

I think ChrisC is trying to say that there certainly would be a certain degree of pressure within a congregation to live according to church principles and the LDS church authorities don't buckle under societal pressure. But I don't think members worry about "inquisitors" coming to visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area