U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:44 PM

14 posts, read 29,405 times

Advertisements

After 10 long years in Maryland and 2 years in Georgia, we have a possible opportunity of moving back to the Rocky Mountains! Yay us !
I was born in Southern CA, but moved to Farmington, UT when I was 15. Hubby is from Pocatello, ID. We have 4 children aged 16, 14, 11, and 9. Soccer players and musicians.
We are both baptized LDS, but are now following a different path... very long story We are completely comfortable with being immersed in a predominately LDS neighborhood, we have great kids and great values.
After being away for so long, I am sure so many things have changed... for the better and worse.
He will probably be working near the airport. What areas within a decent commute (less than 45 minutes) have the best schools, are not too flat, and have a decent amount trees?
We lived on a military base for many years and loved how the kids could walk just about anywhere. We love the outdoors, so somewhere close to parks or trails would be great! Since we have been away from the "real" snow for so long in such a mild climate, we are not big skiiers. Does not mean that we are not willing to learn though
Although I graduated from Davis High, I am not partial to that area. But, it is all I know. We are very open minded and would love to hear any areas you think might fit our needs!
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 AM

21,964 posts, read 22,127,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnwyndsong View Post
After 10 long years in Maryland and 2 years in Georgia, we have a possible opportunity of moving back to the Rocky Mountains! Yay us !
Yay for you!

Quote:
He will probably be working near the airport. What areas within a decent commute (less than 45 minutes) have the best schools, are not too flat, and have a decent amount trees?
Check out Cottonwood Heights. My kids are grown so I couldn't tell you too awfully much about the schools. (They were okay when my kids were little, but that's been awhile.) The area is on the east bench of Salt Lake up by the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, so it's more hilly that some parts of the city. One thing I like about it is that almost none of the homes are over about 30 years old but they are old enough to all have established landscaping and quite a few good sized trees. The Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center has wonderful year-round swimming, ice skating, etc. for a very reasonable price. I worked very close to the airport until I retired a couple of months ago and the commute was between 25-30 minutes. Check it out. I think you'd like it.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:39 AM

Katzpur,
Thank you so much! It sounds great! I will check into it some more!
Is Cottonwood Heights a pedestrian community? In other words, are places easily accessed by foot or bike? That is a big item on the non-driving teenager's list

Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 AM

21,964 posts, read 22,127,476 times
Quote:
Katzpur,
Thank you so much! It sounds great! I will check into it some more!
Is Cottonwood Heights a pedestrian community? In other words, are places easily accessed by foot or bike? That is a big item on the non-driving teenager's list
I've never thought of it in those terms, but most of the streets have sidewalks and there are a lot of quiet residential streets. I think it's pretty much the same in that respect to most of the areas you'd want to look at in the Salt Lake City area.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 AM

19,823 posts, read 56,029,281 times
Sugar House is another area with easy access to the airport on I-80. There are also numerous surface streets to take if there is an accidnet. It may be a bit closer to commercial, especially if you live a few blocks off 2100 South. Many of the older houses have been remodeled inside but preserve the old exterior.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:00 PM

835 posts, read 1,792,649 times
We are in East Millcreek and the child attends Skyline High School. We are very happy with the school, more so than any school that we attended in Park City. I do not know that much about the athletics but the band instructor is great and they have a pep band.
Love our neighborhood, older-our house was built in 1960, does not appear to be very transient, tons of trees and Millcreek to boot. We do quite a bit of bike riding, play tennis at the school and the skiing is about 20-25 minutes up the road. There are several UTA bus stops nearby also for the non drivers..
I am still amazed at how nearby everything is and yet feel so "out in the woods" when I am home.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 PM

Thank you! I will look into East Millcreek and Sugarhouse as well. We should find out if our move is a definite one by mid-January. I just want to be prepared, just in case they want us there quickly!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:14 AM

Is East Millcreek an actual city/town or a neighborhood? I was curious about house prices and I couldn't find it anywhere. I did manage to find the zip code, but it is considered Salt Lake. Does 84109 cover more than just East Millcreek?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 AM

1,294 posts, read 2,804,970 times
Quote:
I was born in Southern CA, but moved to Farmington, UT when I was 15. Hubby is from Pocatello, ID. We have 4 children aged 16, 14, 11, and 9. Soccer players and musicians.
We are both baptized LDS, but are now following a different path... very long story We are completely comfortable with being immersed in a predominately LDS neighborhood, we have great kids and great values.
After being away for so long, I am sure so many things have changed... for the better and worse.
We lived on a military base for many years and loved how the kids could walk just about anywhere. We love the outdoors, so somewhere close to parks or trails would be great! Since we have been away from the "real" snow for so long in such a mild climate, we are not big skiiers. Does not mean that we are not willing to learn though
Although I graduated from Davis High, I am not partial to that area. But, it is all I know. We are very open minded and would love to hear any areas you think might fit our needs!
Thanks so much!
I am not sure if you want to be in Davis county again, but I live in Bountiful and the commute to the airport is easy. Barely any urban traffic getting to I-15 and then its a breeze getting to the airport. We fly a lot and my wife drops me off quite a bit for business travel out of the airport, never is a problem. The schools here are great, we have Muller Park Jr High which feeds into Bountiful HS. We are from out East and have enjoyed our time out here. There are lot of outdoors stuff to do here as well.

Well good luck on the move and congrats.

Edit: Oh and we are big soccer fans and our kids play in a great club based here in Bountiful too.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:05 AM

835 posts, read 1,792,649 times
I think that 84109 does include more than East Millcreek. We are considered an unincorporated area of Salt Lake and a "township". House prices have come down a bit-probably 15-20% since 08. If I had to guess, at least the 3 that are for sale in my direct area, 550-600K with an oddball one at 989K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area