U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM

99 posts, read 215,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matreab View Post
What do the non-Mormon kids do during seminary period?
Well, if their church doesn't have a similar program, then they don't get a "seminary period" (they call it "release time"). They just go to class like normal. Same with any Mormon who decides not to go to seminary. They have to go to regular school classes like everybody else, and they don't get a free period to do whatever they want.

When I went to high school in the early 90's I had to get my "release time" approved by getting a form signed both by the school and my seminary teachers. When it was approved and all that, only then did I get a "seminary period" as you call it. And even then I had to attend my seminary class regularly or I could have my release time taken away. I couldn't skip seminary classes and still expect to have release time.

Now, the whole thing about seperation of church and state, I don't see how this is mingling church and state. This is just schools allowing students to take one period a day to go attend a religious class that is not on school property (although in Utah the seminaries are usually built right next door to the school). This is simply schools allowing students to practice freedom of religion.

Last edited by fittj; 01-20-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 AM

73 posts, read 127,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fittj View Post
Now, the whole thing about seperation of church and state, I don't see how this is mingling church and state. This is just schools allowing students to take one period a day to go attend a religious class that is not on school property (although in Utah the seminaries are usually built right next door to the school). This is simply schools allowing students to practice freedom of religion.
Well, I see your point. I wouldn't have a problem with this if kids were doing this as an extracurricular activity, but I don't like the idea of religious education replacing another class. Why can't I get the school to give me "release time" to go play video games off campus? It's cutting down on class sizes for the other kids, so it's a win-win situation, right? The problem is, it's not a part of the actual school curriculum.

I do realize that the video game analogy is hyperbolic, because kids in seminary are actually learning; I remember it being like a comparative religions class where we only studied one religion. I don't think it's a big deal, and I certainly wouldn't campaign against it, but I don't like the idea of kids taking time off of actual school to study whatever they like. Just let them take seminary classes before or after school in separate facilities.

Also, the whole "any other church can do this, they just don't want to" analogy is kinda problematic in a state like Utah, where the vast majority of the population is of the same religion. If I were muslim, hindu, or even southern baptist in my old high school, I would probably be the only one. There simply wouldn't be enough of us to justify a teacher or a class. So would the school in this situation give me "release time" to drive home and have a rabbi instruct me and the other jewish kid in school in lieu of taking home economics or shop?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 AM

226 posts, read 495,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonman View Post
So would the school in this situation give me "release time" to drive home and have a rabbi instruct me and the other jewish kid in school in lieu of taking home economics or shop?
Yup. They would. My kid has "parent release" first hour every other day (not for religious instruction). All I had to do was sign a form stating that he would not be on campus during that time and that I was responsible for transporting him to school. I didn't even have to explain why. Same thing with home school. In my career, I have taught many kids who were home schooled part of the day and in public school part of the day. And while I can see why you might question why parents would want their kid to use school time for religious instruction, failing to allow it would almost certainly be unconstitutional.

Last edited by UtahRoots; 01-22-2011 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,921,652 times
Many states allow release time for religious instruction or otherwise, not just Utah.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 PM

498 posts, read 1,239,449 times
You can get released time for whatever you want. If you have a job during school hours, you can actually get credit for it as an elective. Once you fulfill the number of required classes, you can get as many released periods as you want. I knew students who had 4 released periods their senior year.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:22 PM

226 posts, read 495,532 times
If kids carry heavy class loads (e.g. AP classes or multiple math and science classes) during their first three years in high school, they can complete most of the courses required for graduation before their senior year. They often use their senior year for additional AP or concurrent college enrollment and only attend classes for part of the day. In the district where I work, several high school students get release time to attend afternoon courses on a nearby college campus because the courses they want are not offered at their high school. And Lamborgotti is correct that seniors with jobs get "work release" (that name makes me smile because it sounds like early parole). So it's certainly not just LDS seminary students who take advantage of release time. Taking seminary classes actually makes it more difficult to get all your required credits for graduation without attending class full time as a senior.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 PM

73 posts, read 127,550 times
Well, then, I guess you've all answered my question. Here's to seminary, and may they someday have an atheist alternative for my kids!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:20 PM

498 posts, read 1,239,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonman View Post
Well, then, I guess you've all answered my question. Here's to seminary, and may they someday have an atheist alternative for my kids!
What would that be?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 AM

5,330 posts, read 11,062,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
What would that be?
Basket weaving ... ???
Dunno what else would qualify ... !!!

But then *basket weaving* always comes up as a subject ...

Old 01-23-2011, 10:39 AM

15,891 posts, read 15,310,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Basket weaving ... ???
Dunno what else would qualify ... !!!

But then *basket weaving* always comes up as a subject ...
But basket weavers usually have a higher power of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area