U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM

154 posts, read 314,269 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Glendale CA as an elementary school kid there was a "religious release" time every Friday. Catholic kids went across one street to their church, Protestant kids went across another street to a Methodist church and Mormon kids went across another street to their church.

Last edited by Heyygirl; 02-10-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,268 times
I'm a 9th grader from Utah, and at my school, seminary isn't the only option, although the other ones are obviously less talked about. There's a new program called AXIS (Academics for Christ in schools) that's Christian-based, but if the student doesn't wish to take that either, they can also fill release time with a free period studying in the library or a computer lab. If not that, then they have the option to replace the empty space in their schedule with any other elective available during the given period. For example, when several of the students in my friend group have seminary 3rd period, I'm taking art or photography.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:07 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,919,832 times
I agree! It really is a non issue and the classes that you take to fill that time you receive credit for, whereas seminary is a non credit class.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,144 times
I am not LDS; went to Jordan School District and I faced similar frustration. I graduated high school with an associates degree. As a senior, I had an overwhelming number of credits that the average student just didn't. My biggest complaint was that I was told that I could not just take my AP classes and go home. I had to be enrolled in 7 periods, or I wouldn't be able to walk with my class (I already qualified for my diploma but the school districts get paid by the number of students currently enrolled in acceptable classes and my mother wanted the ceremony)
So I ended up taking a plethora of fluff classes. AP research, work release, teacher aid, educational release, ect.
The problem was that I had one extra class that I couldn't fill with the fluff and I was tired of taking classes that wouldn't count toward my degree. So there are two things you could do:
1. Sign up for LDS seminary and don't go. They can fail you w/ a grade that doesn't go on your school transcript but at least you can walk with your class.
2. I prefer that you know your rights: [mod] too new to post links, read TOS[/mod]Nobody told me about this second route and my principle at the time didn't help me. In fact I had a meeting with him and he tried to get me to take additional classes that would add to my workload. (I was already taking college classes at night so I didn't agree with his solution) I asked him if he thought it was fair that my LDS friends with less integrity could sign up and not go but still walk with our class; then I asked him if he would still think that way if he wasn't LDS. (I was excused from his office.)
I ended up signing up for seminary and sat in the back corner doing my calculus homework the whole time without participation; I figured they couldn't kick me out if my attendance were better than others. (Several students nicknamed my corner "outer darkness." When anonymous write in questions began; they didn't appreciate my questions about the ice age, dinosaurs, evolution ect. somehow they knew it was me. Occasionally when someone else wrote something that resembled intellect everyone would look back at me with a glare. . . good times.
Know your rights and advocate them so you can blaze a trail for others to follow without dealing with the idiocy. I met with every one of the councilors at SLCC before they finally created a councilor specifically qualified to talk about new century scholars. I feel grateful I was able to help make it easier.
Good luck

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-22-2012 at 11:14 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 10:47 AM

5,007 posts, read 14,483,163 times
I just took other classes and finished high school early (January) and was off on work release until graduation. I really should've started taking college classes then but things were not not stable in my home life so I didn't start college until after graduation.

I wish the conselors would've guided me more my junior year to inform me I was only 2 credits away from graduating then. Perhaps I would've made a more structured plan to begin my college credits sooner. I had a decent GPA, was in the National Honor Society and graduated in the top 4% of my class. I think my high school (back then) didn't have enough classes that held my interest or challenged me to achieve something greater than just getting by.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM

18 posts, read 24,393 times
It's an elective, so a non Mormon would just go to another class. In schools with a seminary building, they offer class during all class periods so it isn't like the Mormon kids are all gone at the same time. They attend it just like they would Math or Gym.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM

3,254 posts, read 5,410,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyUt72 View Post
It's an elective, so a non Mormon would just go to another class. In schools with a seminary building, they offer class during all class periods so it isn't like the Mormon kids are all gone at the same time. They attend it just like they would Math or Gym.
Would they be allowed to leave early? And have the elective as their last class since it is not needed to graduate? Out here we have different unit requirements for different schools. Private school needed 240, Public High School needed 220 and Continuation/Alternative school needed 200. Bible credits were not transferable so the number needed went down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area