U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,453 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot in the forum regarding the free (Seminary) period in the Utah public schools. My intent here is not to start a discussion regarding the appropriateness of free period; it's already been done. My attitude is that it's not going away, so I need to decide if it is a big enough issue for me personally when considering whether or not to send my children to Utah public school.

So:

1) At what grade do kids actually start attending seminary?

2) What do the non-Mormon kids do during seminary period? If I assume seminary starts around the time of middle school or high school, is it simply a matter the Mormon kids including seminary in their school schedules at the start of the year. and the non-Mormon kids just scheduling some other elective class? Assuming this is the case, are there typically enough classes available for the non-Mormon student to put together a deceit schedule of classes?

3) A question for any non-Mormom former students or parents of students - has the existence of seminary had a negative effect on the quality of you child's education?

Thinking of Mov'n to Utah,

Marj

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-16-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,011,669 times
I belive that seminary is treated like an elective for the LDS students not quite sure though.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:44 PM

21,958 posts, read 22,109,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matreab View Post
1) At what grade do kids actually start attending seminary?
I believe that early morning (before school) seminary is available as early as the 7th grade. Released-time seminary, on the other hand, is for grades 10-12 (unless I'm mistaken).

Quote:
2) What do the non-Mormon kids do during seminary period? If I assume seminary starts around the time of middle school or high school, is it simply a matter the Mormon kids including seminary in their school schedules at the start of the year. and the non-Mormon kids just scheduling some other elective class? Assuming this is the case, are there typically enough classes available for the non-Mormon student to put together a deceit schedule of classes?
There are absolutely plenty of non-Mormon kids to have a decent schedule of classes. Besides, not all Mormon kids attend seminary. Just think of it as another elective. If all Mormon kids were to take art, and all non-Mormon kids weren't, there would still be plenty of kids left to take all of the other electives that were available.

By the way, any religious group in Utah is welcome to set up their own released-time classes. I don't know of any that have done so, but it certainly would be permitted.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,915,171 times
My dd is in 8th grade and seminary is not even offered at her school. Unless early morning seminary is arranged through the church, I never remember seeing anything mentioned about it at all when making out her schedule the past two years. It is offered for LDS students beginning in high school as release time.

It is just treated as an elective. LDS (and non..if that is what they want!) can choose to take seminary. There is no class credit given. If you choose not to take it, there are tons of other electives that you can take instead.

The existance of seminary has no impact on the quality of education whatsoever. It is a non issue. You wouldn't necessarily know the kids that are taking it anyway, unless they made you privy to that information (or you saw them walking off campus to that class).

Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 AM

498 posts, read 1,238,207 times
Seminary starts in 9th grade. I'm not really sure how you think it's organized by your post, but there isn't like one seminary period where all the LDS students go to seminary at the same time. There are seminary classes during every period of the day, students take it whenever it fits into their schedule.

There are multiple classes within the seminary building each period, usually 3-4, with roughly 20-25 students in each class. I've heard the argument made that seminary relieves the work load of the public schools. In my high school of 1400, about 800 students took seminary. That's basically 800 students the school didn't have to teach for an hour a day because they took seminary.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 AM

5,326 posts, read 11,045,581 times
The questions still stands tho.

What do kids, who are NOT attending seminary,
do during that same period ???

I am sure they are not just *standing around* , no ???

In essence,
when you are an LDS kid, you *may* go to Seminary,
when you are Not LDS, you do what ???

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-16-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,915,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
In essence,
when you are an LDS kid, you *may* go to Seminary,
when you are Not LDS, you do what ???
Whatever other elective floats their boat.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 PM

226 posts, read 495,133 times
I'm trying to head off the "separation of church and state" question before it gets here.

The LDS church conducts seminary classes off campus in a separate privately owned building with instructors whose salaries are paid by the LDS church.

Students walk off campus to go to seminary classes which are conducted during most if not all class periods of the regular school schedule.

Seminary classes do, in fact, reduce the student population in each class period so that the high school "rotates out" a segment of their population every class period every day - which reduces class sizes in other courses.

Students who do not go to seminary classes attend a different elective (e.g. photography or music) and really aren't affected at all by the seminary program.

There is zero cost to the taxpayer and without the seminary program, there would be higher numbers of students in every class period every day.

The biggest problem as I see it is that every hour or so there are suddenly 30 teenagers ignoring traffic signs and taking over crosswalks to get back to school.

Last edited by UtahRoots; 01-16-2011 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,990,399 times
I saw some LDS church leader on the news a few years back, saying that they would be happy to help another church set up a similar program if anyone wanted to ask. So far as I know, theLDS seminary is the only religious program during the regular school day.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:31 PM

6,801 posts, read 7,365,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I saw some LDS church leader on the news a few years back, saying that they would be happy to help another church set up a similar program if anyone wanted to ask. So far as I know, theLDS seminary is the only religious program during the regular school day.
When I was a kid they had Lutheran class that I would go to in Californa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area