U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 PM

981 posts, read 1,968,940 times

Advertisements

See salt lake city smog - Google Search

I've found several job prospects in and near Salt Lake City, but the more I read about the smog/inversion problem, the less I can see moving there. The initial appeal was being near a lot of open space, but daily life during smoggy periods looks unpleasant. I've been there 3 times over the years but only once (briefly) when the air was bad; at that time I didn't realize how extensive the problem could be.

Utah is known as a state that wants to repeal environmental regulations and open up more pristine desert land to mining, drilling and other industrial uses. Is there a lack of air pollution control (like gas station vapor-recovery nozzles) that contributes to the notorious smog? I don't understand people who protest those devices for reasons of "cost," as if clean air is just a luxury.

Is Utah full of AGW deniers, also? It baffles me that people can acknowledge smog as being man-made, but think other fossil fuel effects on the atmosphere are a "hoax." Apparently, the invisibility of CO2 gas challenges their perception.

I'm wondering if the LDS presence contributes to a noticeable anti environmental protection attitude Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-18-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
It's more due to geography and vehicle polution. We lie in a narrow valley between 2 mountain ranges. Air is easily trapped.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:59 PM

10,852 posts, read 10,527,907 times
It's largely the mechanics of geography and meteorology. That combined with a couple million people in a relatively small area. You can pass all the environmental laws you want and there will still be a problem.

Utah is "full of" the same kind of people any other place is full of. This is not a place to debate "global warming" or religion, so I'd suggest dispensing with the rhetoric. There would be an inversion at times during the winter even if not a soul lived here. True, having too many people here, emitting whatever pollutants, will make that inversion dirtier. But if you want pristine air, ban human beings.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It's more due to geography and vehicle polution. We lie in a narrow valley between 2 mountain ranges. Air is easily trapped.
You've addressed nothing in the original question. I know about the inversion effect already. I'm asking about the locals' attitude toward regulating air pollution, on top of all other factors.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's largely the mechanics of geography and meteorology. That combined with a couple million people in a relatively small area. You can pass all the environmental laws you want and there will still be a problem.

Utah is "full of" the same kind of people any other place is full of. This is not a place to debate "global warming" or religion, so I'd suggest dispensing with the rhetoric. There would be an inversion at times during the winter even if not a soul lived here. True, having too many people here, emitting whatever pollutants, will make that inversion dirtier. But if you want pristine air, ban human beings.
More people with anti-regulatory attitudes would logically make the air dirtier overall. Moderator cut: off topic I think my question has been answered in a subtle way already.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-25-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 PM

973 posts, read 1,853,671 times
Quote:
What she said.

It really isn't that bad. I don't notice it much. More in the winter than summer. I love that I can see most of the valley from my windows. I can see the U of U stadium, & the Bees stadium, along w/ downtown from my northeast windows. I am 45 mins drive & an hour from the U of U drive, easily. I love the bowl of the valley. Sometimes the inversion flares up, but, the positives way outweigh the negatives for me.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
You've addressed nothing in the original question. I know about the inversion effect already. I'm asking about the locals' attitude toward regulating air pollution, on top of all other factors.
Okay, I don't feel Utahans try to contribute to air pollution more than others. We value our air & land (much of Utah is still public land, which is paradise for some of us. ) . Most do not smoke, but we do have alot of big trucks (I'm talking for families, not company ones) & diesel vehicles. If I had my way, diesel vehicles would be more taxed, but, that's my own rant. lol Utah does have the highest rate of natural gas vehicles & stations that sell such fuel, even though they don't sell them here yet.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 AM

6,800 posts, read 7,346,528 times
The inversion is at its worst the colder it is. When it is 15 out I really don't do a lot of hiking.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
What she said.

It really isn't that bad. I don't notice it much. More in the winter than summer. I love that I can see most of the valley from my windows. I can see the U of U stadium, & the Bees stadium, along w/ downtown from my northeast windows. I am 45 mins drive & an hour from the U of U drive, easily. I love the bowl of the valley. Sometimes the inversion flares up, but, the positives way outweigh the negatives for me.
Others, like a group of physicians, seem to disagree with that cheery assessment: Scrapbook (http://tinyurl.com/6aj74zx - broken link)

Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Others, like a group of physicians, seem to disagree with that cheery assessment: Scrapbook (http://tinyurl.com/6aj74zx - broken link)
I'm usually cheery, & I'm not from here, I'm from down turned Ohio. Perhaps you should listen to this 'group of said physicians' & steer clear of our area. It doesn't sound as if it is right for you.

I have been to the San Fran area of the northern Cali area. Not sure where you are at/from. Very nice. I've been there twice, once foggy, once not. Notice I DIDN'T say smoggy, before you jump.

From your answers, it doesn't sound like there can be a 'right' answer for you. We aren't perfect here in Utah. Though many try. lol

Boy did I open myself into getting ripped into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area