Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 15,724 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating to Park City...I don't have a job there yet but I work in the restaurant industry so I am fairly certain I can get some work in and around Park City. Its very important for me to to live in the "heart" of everything but I am not familiar with neighborhoods and questioning if I will be able to find a 2 br that will be affordable on a bartender/server salary. All the rental listings I see online are for vacation weeks and I want long term rentals. I do have kids and need to be in the Park City school district but I need them to feel like they are living close to friends and not traveling more than 15-20 minutes from school. Any suggestions?

Also, would you recommend working for one of the resorts or an independent restaurant? Any suggestions would be helpful...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,428,231 times
Wages for restaurant workers and resort workers in Utah are poverty levels. This is a NON-union state.

I don't know about Park City - but waitresses in the Salt Lake Valley have wages that are around $2.13 an hour. You need to make a helluva lotta tips to get to solvency.

You read that right. $2.13 an hour.

The resorts also pay well under liveable wages.

I wouldn't move here without a job. The recession has hit hard - and folks who have lost their jobs are flocking to anything they can get - including restaurant and resort jobs.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 PM

14,330 posts, read 14,133,532 times
Quote:
I am thinking about relocating to Park City...I don't have a job there yet but I work in the restaurant industry so I am fairly certain I can get some work in and around Park City. Its very important for me to to live in the "heart" of everything but I am not familiar with neighborhoods and questioning if I will be able to find a 2 br that will be affordable on a bartender/server salary. All the rental listings I see online are for vacation weeks and I want long term rentals. I do have kids and need to be in the Park City school district but I need them to feel like they are living close to friends and not traveling more than 15-20 minutes from school. Any suggestions?

Also, would you recommend working for one of the resorts or an independent restaurant? Any suggestions would be helpful...thanks!
You'd be smart to listen to MLB. Please get a job before you make the move out here. You may be shocked at how little earnings are. Over the years that I've been in Utah, I've actually seen a couple of letters to the editor of newspapers from waiters and waitresses expressing frustration at how little people here tip when they go out for a meal. At Park City, you will be dealing with a lot of people from out-of-state and maybe they will tip more, but there is no way to be certain.

You will find a terrific problem in Park City finding affordable housing working as a bartender/server. Others have complained about it. Again, housing would be something to have rounded up before you "make the move".

With the recession on, I'm confident that the earnings of the hotels and restaurants in Park City are down. I suspect job openings for people in this line of work are down as well.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 PM

494 posts, read 1,891,198 times
Park City has a high cost of living... good luck to you finding somewhere to live that's affordable. It would be a great place to live, though.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,796,466 times
I live in Park City during ski season & part of the summer; I live in Las Vegas the rest of the year. We tip 15% - 20%; I don't know about other people. We love it up here.

You'll find that winter & summer there are lots of tourists & lots of work in the restaurant industry. Spring and fall are mostly just the locals, so not so much work.

I know you can find 2 bedroom condos to rent long-term (year lease) for $1700-ish.

What grade(s) are your kid(s) in?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM

such a bummer to hear this. I realize hourly rates are low everywhere...people in the service industries never really count hourly pay in their income because its is always below minimum wage but to hear that people don't tip well is unfortunate. People don't tip an average of 15-20% in Park City, Utah? bummer

Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,172,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebart View Post
such a bummer to hear this. I realize hourly rates are low everywhere...people in the service industries never really count hourly pay in their income because its is always below minimum wage but to hear that people don't tip well is unfortunate. People don't tip an average of 15-20% in Park City, Utah? bummer
You could always live down the mountain, it is still nice 20 minutes away in Cotonwood Heights.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,949,523 times
Have you considered living in the Salt Lake Valley? There are numerous opportunities with the restaurant industry and the COL is less than it is up in Park City. It really isn't that long of a drive when you need to get your Park City fix!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Have you considered living in the Salt Lake Valley? There are numerous opportunities with the restaurant industry and the COL is less than it is up in Park City. It really isn't that long of a drive when you need to get your Park City fix!
We don't really want to live in the Valley because we really want to be in the Heart of Park City and in that school district.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What grade(s) are your kid(s) in?
Kindergarten, 7th and 9th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area