U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 AM

226 posts, read 493,900 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious about how far away from the epicenters people felt the small tremors on Friday and Sunday near Lehi and Saratoga Springs. I felt nothing either time. The news says there were no reports of damages. Did you feel anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 03:32 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,345,753 times
I am from CA, it needs to be 5.0 to get my attention.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Absolutely nothing.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM

2,293 posts, read 5,083,344 times
I got nothing in Herriman. Didn't wake me up

Old 02-14-2011, 03:45 PM

5,000 posts, read 14,431,392 times
I was driving on northbound I-15 yesterday early evening just before the earthquake. I was just south of the Kohl's store off the side of the interstate. I think I was just south of Lehi. It sounded like I had flat tires. It was a weird sensation like my right tires were pushing me left and my left tires were pushing me right. I checked my tire pressure display on my dash it all appeared normal. Then I thought it must be the new concrete lanes. Weird. Never experienced that before. When I watched the new last night, and heard of the third earthquake, I figured that must've been what was going on.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 PM

631 posts, read 1,716,759 times
I have been monitoring all the quakes us and worldwide
Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Last 7 days

Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I was driving on northbound I-15 yesterday early evening just before the earthquake. I was just south of the Kohl's store off the side of the interstate. I think I was just south of Lehi. It sounded like I had flat tires. It was a weird sensation like my right tires were pushing me left and my left tires were pushing me right. I checked my tire pressure display on my dash it all appeared normal. Then I thought it must be the new concrete lanes. Weird. Never experienced that before. When I watched the new last night, and heard of the third earthquake, I figured that must've been what was going on.
I have had that happen in some pretty sizable quakes (4s), it is very strange.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 PM

226 posts, read 493,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I am from CA, it needs to be 5.0 to get my attention.
I'm always a little relieved when the small ones happen. I figure they're the earth's way of letting off steam in order to avoid the Big One. But I live in a sort of permanent state of anxiety about earthquakes since my insurance company canceled my earthquake policy and refused to write a new one. Might have something to do with living inside a triangle formed by three fault lines, ya think?

A state geologist once looked at an earthquake risk map with me and told me that my whole neighborhood was going to either go up or down as one chunk and that the front (unreinforced masonry) half of my 50+year-old house would go one way and the back (wood frame) half of the house would go another. How reassuring.

The only thing I'm sure of is that since winter is from November to April, it will be winter when the Big One happens.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahRoots View Post
I'm always a little relieved when the small ones happen. I figure they're the earth's way of letting off steam in order to avoid the Big One. But I live in a sort of permanent state of anxiety about earthquakes since my insurance company canceled my earthquake policy and refused to write a new one. Might have something to do with living inside a triangle formed by three fault lines, ya think?

A state geologist once looked at an earthquake risk map with me and told me that my whole neighborhood was going to either go up or down as one chunk and that the front (unreinforced masonry) half of my 50+year-old house would go one way and the back (wood frame) half of the house would go another. How reassuring.

The only thing I'm sure of is that since winter is from November to April, it will be winter when the Big One happens.

If a big one happens here, you will get bailed out just like CA did. I have never had anything fall on me but I did feel one where I couldn't really walk.

I really don't worry about them, once it hits just head for a small closet and hold on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area