U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:18 PM

6,019 posts, read 4,641,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsNegro View Post
I'm also in the boat of begnning a move to the SLC metro area with NO clue where to look for a home, although I've contacted a local realtor with plans to meet up. Let me ask all of you, is it worth the drive/distance away from the metro area to investigate Toole etc., Heber area, maybe even Saratoga Springs? Would I find the climate in Heber too cold? Does the lake really smell more in Toole? Is SS too far from SLC and what about the inversion? I have also had recommendations to look N at the Bountiful, Farmington and Centerville areas; is the air better there?
Don't bother with Saratoga Springs. They are having big problems with out of control, psycho, power-tripping cops in that community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,113 times
We just finished a remodel and 1 of the contractors lives in SS. He loves it, has not heard of the problems that 11th hour posted but the drive can be intense. During one of the recent snow storms, it took him alomost 3 hours to get from 33rd and 215 back to SS.
Pops, If it were me, I would sell my house first, get the new job lined up and THEN figure out where to live.
Maybe you could get an interview or 10 lined up for when you come to meet with your realtor?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,750,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Don't bother with Saratoga Springs. They are having big problems with out of control, psycho, power-tripping cops in that community.
LOL that is so not true. One of those cops is a family friend of ours, from Florida. He is the nicest, laid back guy I know.

I can only assume that you must have had 1 bad experience. I don't remember ever getting pulled over and it be a good experience.

In any case, SS is nice place, but it is far from downtown SLC, where a lot of employment centers are. I think besides that, its a great place to look (and if you dont work in SLC, even better). Lots of affordable new homes down there now, especially compared to Salt Lake/Davis counties.

Renting first might be a great idea.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:21 PM

15 posts, read 17,062 times
Me I would live in Draper or Sandy if I worked in Draper. The Avenues are nice and can either be very expensive or quite diverse depending on what time...........the University are has nice houses........I love Sugarhouse and Holiday. Things no one ever mentions about the Salt Lake .......there are areas where there is a lot of crime, gang activity and drugs. Know your areas! Sandy is family friendly. I like Sugarhouse, I LOVE Holiday, Murray is kinda neat. I'm a transplant from California, but been here 30 years. Things I had a hard time getting used to climate wise was the altitude, the bad air, and the summer heat.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 PM

125 posts, read 151,296 times
Well, the alt is actually lower than CO so that's not a factor unless I went to Heber, which is looking more & more unappealing b/c I hear it's super-cold with a lot of snow and a brief summer.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM
mlb

1,270 posts, read 1,060,098 times
I have friends who have lived in Riverton - (I live @ the Sandy/Draper border) and left Riverton. The water quality sucked. Bigtime.

Sandy City just won a national award (tied with Napa Valley, CA) for water conservation.

http://sandy.utah.gov/whats-new/news...4b681be2019d64

Old 04-03-2011, 12:14 AM

7 posts, read 5,229 times
Hi Chris,
I lived in the Tampa area (Odessa, Van Dyke Farms) for 3 years. We loved Tampa, but we love Utah more. If you and your wife are active, you will love Utah. It's our favorite place out of the 9 states that we have lived. (husband job relos)
I'm sure you are stressed and reading through all of these posts is overwhelming. Before moving to Utah I researched the heck out of the area and was completely crazy. Trust me though, it's not as difficult as it may seem. The area is very small.
Your wife is working at 123rd in Draper. You want to live either in South Jordan or Riverton on the West side, or Sandy, Draper on the East. I prefer the East, the Wasatch front is beautiful and we settled in Sandy. A neighborhood called Pepperwood. You can google it. Homes are pricey but have come down a lot and there are some rentals available. Probably one of the most kid friendly neighborhoods, and after living here for almost 3 years, my friends who do not live in here wish they had. :-) There is a pool, playground, tennis and basketball courts and bike paths connecting all of the cul de sacs.
My kids go to a Catholic school in Draper - St. John the Baptist on 114th, very close to your wife's job. I would decide if you want public or private school and then decide where to live. The public school's here are not bad and probably comparable to Tampa but we moved last from PA where public schools are very good so we chose Catholic hoping for a more challenging curriculum. St. John's does have a waiting list so if you are interested, have your wife get over there to tour and get on the list. I think you mentioned having a 5 yr old, kindergarten next year? There is also St. Vincent's, St. Andrew's and Blessed Sacrament in those areas. St. John's is the largest of the schools with a huge campus that includes the middle school and Juan Diego High school.
I read that you were looking at Suncrest. Do NOT move there. Your wife will hate you in the winter. :-) No joke. I love the snow and have a 4 wheel drive but would never live up there. I have several friends that have moved from there and a few others that can't sell their homes to get out. Great views but really not ideal. When you say you love the wind, trust me this is not any wind you have ever felt in Tampa, including the hurrican winds! Seriously, playground equipment have blown down the hill (mountain rather). You can get amazing views all over in Sandy and Draper as long as you choose to live close to the mountain. There are tons of nice neighborhoods below Suncrest if you want to live on the mountain in Draper. Also, check out the neighborhoods on Wasatch Blvd in Sandy. Again, amazing views and much more accessible. There's a reason the Suncrest homes are now affordable. I ride my bike on Wasatch Blvd spring, summer and fall and leave right out the back of my neighborhood, nothing compares! If you like to ski, you can be to the lift of Snowbird in 25 minutes from Sandy.

Comcast or Direct TV are the companies here. We have Comcast and have had no problems. I also have Verizon Wireless for cell but lots of people have At&T and it's fine. The water is hard but not nearly like Tampa. You will be fine. (It's the other water you may miss - the beach. :-))

There are a ton of sunny days here but unfortunately you are moving during the rainy season. We looked for homes in April and thought it was so ugly. By June it will be beautiful again. March and April are probably the ugliest and worst temperature months. It will be 80 degrees towards the middle of May with NO HUMIDITY! You won't know what to do without the frizzy Florida hair! haha

I hope I've helped. :-) If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Good luck.
Jen

Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 AM

7 posts, read 5,229 times
Just read your kid's ages. You have lots of time for school! Although St. John's has great pre-k starting at 3 so...
Also, no Lehi. You are used to everything being close in Tampa. You will not like Lehi. After reading through your posts, stick with Sandy and Draper. I think you will be happy there. Honestly, look at the neighborhoods off of Wasatch in Sandy - Hidden Valley, The Cove, drive through there, I think you'll like it. And of course I'm partial to Pepperwood. There is a gate on Wasatch and off 106th south. (really 2000 east up Pepperwood Dr but we say 106th, you'll get used to the streets. lol.)

Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,030 times
Suncrest is beautiful and scenic, but because it is so high on the side of the mountain that areas gets a ton of snow compared to other areas in the valley and it is very windy also. They road up to the area can be a bit steep and might make a nervous snow driver even more nervous. You might want to check out homes in South Jordan. It is on the west side of I-15. It has some areas that are little old farm houses, and then some beautiful new homes. Not sure on our price point, but check the ParkWay Palisades area in South Jordan (about 1300 E and between 10600 and 11400 south). The schools are excellent and you are close to the parks and trail along the Jordan River. Good luck. You will love the Salt Lake suburbs, and our cute little downtown is never too far away.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM

10 posts, read 11,425 times
I know this may not work for you with your wife working in Draper, but living in the southern end of Davis County isn't too bad! Home prices are still coming down and you can get AMAZING sq. footage for really low prices.

We moved here from the Boston area in 2009 due to my husband's transfer. He works near the VA and the U of U campus. I'm a SAHM who loves to ski, so we chose to live between our favorite resort (Snowbasin, where the road is NEVER closed for avalanche control) and his work. We are in North Salt Lake, and our driveway is at 5000 ft. We look down on the inversion when it appears (- gross!) and out across the valley and the lake for some of the most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen all throughout the year. We have two kids, one in elem. school and one in middle school, but we've pulled out of the Davis Cty. School system to go to a private school in SLC near my husband's office. The class sizes were getting bigger and bigger in the public schools, and my oldest thrives in a smaller classroom. I liked the education they rec'd, but I think we'll do better in the new school - more arts and humanities, gym classes twice/week instead of once, foreign language classes at an earlier age, a more diverse population, etc.

We are less than 30 min from the airport. When my kids have lacrosse practices or games at Mt. Jordan Middle School, it takes about 35 min to drive there. It takes about 40 min. to get to Snowbasin, even in crappy weather. We both drive 4-wheel drive vehicles, and roads get cleared so quickly that driving is never a problem, even up and down our giant hill.

Garbage is collected weekly, and recyclables go bi-weekly. I think the garbage cans are $8/mo? We bundled internet, ph., and tv with Qwest for an exorbitant amount (), but downloads & uploads are quick as lightning, and TV only goes out with wet snows.

Wind has been fierce in the past year - we lost a few shingles, but nothing we can't handle - no yard furniture goes flying around or anything.

We have three grocery stores within 10-15 min. drive, and Costco is 15 min away. Discount shopping is about the same distance. It's a bedroom community, and not very diverse, but if I want diversity, I head south to SLC for a variety of churches, good ethnic food (esp. Thai and Himalayan!); awesome microbrew-serving establishments, and huge parks. My kids love the South Davis Rec. Center for the pools and various sports courts, and I love their fitness equipment & classes. My husband can mountain-bike right out our back door practically. He road-bikes in to work 1-2 times per week for most of the year.

There are lots of cool arts festivals all around, independent film showings, exciting art exhibits, and farmers markets loaded with great produce & goods. You'll see all kinds of people from all walks of life - not quite like Boston or NYC, but enough to let your kids know that there is one big world out there. Everyone I've met is quite friendly, and yes, we've had the young men in white shirts and dark pants visit, but only once and they were actually enjoyable to talk to! I'm one of a small handful of non-LDS folks in my neighborhood and the only reason I know this is through my kids - they complain when none of their friends can have sleepovers on Sat. nights 'cause they all have to go to church the next day. Well, that, and the fact that when I suggest grabbing some beers at this great local spot called the Garage, all the girls all decline due to church guidance... That's OK, we can always enjoy root beers on the porch instead...

Overall, it's been a great experience relocating here, so i hope all works out for you as well... Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area