Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,885 times

Advertisements

I own a house in Saratoga Springs and have it rented at the moment. I have a property managment company that has bee handling it for me. Last year we ran into some financial problems and were forced to put the house on the market as a short sale. The property managment company also does real estate so they said they could list the house for us also. We had to evict the tenants for non-payment of rent and the managment company found new tenants. I specifically told them that I wanted the new tenants to understand that the house is on short sale, so the time in the house can't be guaranteed, I was assured by the managment company that the new tenats completly understood this. We also rented the house to them at a very low rent, 1095.00 for a 3600 sq. ft. house, because it is a short sale. Well, we have an offer on the house and the buyer happens to know the tenants and they told him they had a legal binding contract until June 2011. Now the buyer may back out because he can't wait until June to move in. Now my house may forclose because the bank may not wait that long. My question is, can I legally go after the managment company for not telling the tenants and putting it in writing in the lease like I requested them to do? They were the listing agent and the rental agent at the time and not only should have protected me as their client, they should have protected themselves against liablity.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
My question is, can I legally go after the managment company for not telling the tenants and putting it in writing in the lease like I requested them to do? They were the listing agent and the rental agent at the time and not only should have protected me as their client, they should have protected themselves against liablity.

I am an attorney and I can appreciate that this is a stressful situation for you and that you need help.

Nevertheless, its inappropriate for you to come to the CDF and seek legal advice.

What you need to do is obtain a consultation with a lawyer who specializes in eviction and property law. Such lawyers do exist and would be available for a modest consultation fee.

If you don't know an attorney to consult than you might contact the Lawyer Referral Service at the Utah State Bar Association. Their phone number is (801) 531-9077. Other suggestions I'd have might include talking to your banker, accountant, or insurance agent about a competent lawyer in this field. They generally can refer you to one.

I'm now going to encourage, Belle, our moderator, to close this post. My concern about this kind of post is that people can say anything--including giving totally incorrect (and dangerous) advice.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Thanks, MArk, I will do just that.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area