Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:48 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times

Advertisements

Speaking of architecture and urban planning - and that was the point of the question, right? Salt Lake definitely has interesting buildings - but the city as a whole? It's pretty ho-hum. And often downright boring.

Cities I know that have a more pronounced beauty in architecture?

1. New York (Chrysler Building and the Guggenheim Museum)

2. Chicago - with it's early 1800's church buildings (Polish influence) ...and most definitely the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright in the Oak Park suburbs (go visit Chicago Avenue).

3. Ditto Milwaukee.

4. San Francisco - Victorians...and old world buildings circa post-1906 earthquake.

4. Los Angeles.. take a look :Frank O. Gehry & Partners - Walt Disney Concert Hall :: arcspace.com

Salt Lake doesn't boast any particular "style" of architecture....and they don't build beautiful buildings on the lakeshore - that'll never happen.

So what IS Salt Lake Style? I honestly don't know..... but it's not particularly memorable....at least for me.

Oh and btw? Utah's Grand Staircase Escalante - got coverpicture on this week's Parade Magazine in my Sunday Salt Lake Tribune.

So to say Utah doesn't get noticed....is pretty ridiculous.

Last edited by mlb; 04-17-2011 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 11:32 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria2388 View Post
I understood the thread fine. No need to be picking E-fights and being rude.

Because, in the opinion of the vast majority, it isn't any of those things..

The predominant reason for that is Mormonism and it's subsequent conservative culture en masse (again, in the opinion of many, in my experience). If you disagree with that, OK. He asked for opinions. That's mine, based on my life experience in talking with people about SLC.
So what you're trying to say is that the media pays more attention to common assumptions than it does to neutral, non-objective perceptions (the supposed standard). Admittedly, whether or not those assumptions are over-encompassing (lots of mormons, therefore lame architecture & city?) would be impossible for you to judge. Okay, I see your point, though you could've been more clear.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,615 times
Aside from ignorance and over-assumptions about the residents and their impact on the city, I think one of the hindrances to this city is that people rarely get off the beaten path. The popular tourist sites (built ones anyway) are so few that perhaps people assume there's not much to see. Even people who live here often have no idea how much beauty there really is in this city, because they don't look for it, and they assume it's not there because it's not everywhere.

I think photo updates like these are a good reminder of what's really out there. This is just the tip of the iceberg:

Salt Lake City Tour (+ a little Park City) - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Aside from ignorance and over-assumptions about the residents and their impact on the city, I think one of the hindrances to this city is that people rarely get off the beaten path. The popular tourist sites (built ones anyway) are so few that perhaps people assume there's not much to see. Even people who live here often have no idea how much beauty there really is in this city, because they don't look for it, and they assume it's not there because it's not everywhere.

I think photo updates like these are a good reminder of what's really out there. This is just the tip of the iceberg:

Salt Lake City Tour (+ a little Park City) - SkyscraperPage Forum
OMG! Those are the most incredible pictures I have even seen of Salt Lake City. I hope everybody on the forum looks at them. This post needs to be moved to the sticky pictures thread. Thank you a million times over for posting that link!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
OMG! Those are the most incredible pictures I have even seen of Salt Lake City. I hope everybody on the forum looks at them. This post needs to be moved to the sticky pictures thread. Thank you a million times over for posting that link!
I concur! They are absolutely breath taking!!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
It's all relative. I live in Idaho and routinely visit Salt Lake because it feels like a big city compared to where I live. I'm sure many in Wyoming, southern Utah, and much of Nevada come for the same reasons.

As for why Utah, and in particular SLC, doesn't get much national attention has less to do with the LDS church as it does with its isolated geographic position. Yes, it is a hub for Delta Airlines, but most just see the airport. Yes, it is not far from Phoenix or Vegas, but visitors in those cities usually have little reason to visit SLC. If you minus PHX and LAS, then SLC is quite a distance to other metros, a day to Denver, a day and a half to LAX, SFO, or SEA.

Salt Lake City itself is a very beautiful city, not just physically, but architecturally. Yes, the city sprawls, but its suburbs are impressive and full of vibrancy even in this economy. I was just there this past weekend and drove through the Cottonwoods financial district just to the SE of town. Very impressive, very beautiful, and even on a Sunday morning (gosh!), was full of traffic.

I will admit SLC and environs are still not quite world class, but the Wasatch Front is formidable both in population (and future growth), and natural scenery. It is perfectly situated to enjoy a great rest of the 21st century when the economy rebounds.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Just wondering, when most of those pictures were taken ?
The flag is half mast in many of them ?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria2388 View Post
I "ignore" SLC because I immediately equate it with Mormonism and thus, mark it as a "no" on my list of potential destinations.
This is, honestly, my FAV part. I WANT outsiders to keep this thinking about Utah. Utah is a diamond in the rough, a treasure in the desert that most 'forget' about. Fine by me. I moved here 4 1/2 years ago & LOVE it!!!! I am NOT LDS, nor will I ever be. I live in a very LDS neighborhood. I love it in my 'way out west' neighborhood. =)

As for being ignored by the rest of the country, again, that's fine. Let us 'slip under the radar' & keep our beauty, family friendly, great quality of life (IMO) state to ourselves. lol Dang, this is from a diehard Ohio State fan, having lived in Ohio for my whole 32 years of life!!!! What can I say? I love Utah. =) But, I think you regular posters know that.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
Salt Lake City is beautiful! I like to think that SLC is more of a hidden gem than an ignored or forgotten city. I have lived in several states, including Utah and one of the greatest things about the downtown area of SLC is the big, wide streets. I wish every big city had them. Genius! I can also appreciate the lovely buildings and architecture.
Perfect! ITA! I also love that I feel safe in SLC downtown. =) Even hubby said that as we were walking to the downtown library to take some pics on the 'waterfall' stairs there. lol I feel safe on Trax, I felt safe walking from Trax to the downtown court when I had jury duty (blah!) , I just love the safe feeling here. =) On the reverse side, I rode a public bus once in Ohio for my 8th b-day (no idea why I wanted to ride a bus, just did lol) & was scared out of my mind on the ride. =P That was my 1st & last public bus ride. lol

Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM

13 posts, read 35,201 times
I don't really view SLC as a "big city". Though, it might just be because I was born in Cincinnati, lived there for 4 years. Then moved to West Palm Beach, lived there for 17 years. Then moved to Miami, where I lived up until a year or so ago. I'm 23 now.

SLC doesn't feel like a "city" to me, though. It feels more like a "town" with more than it needs. Plus, there's more racism here than I'm used to. "Big cities" are a little more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area