U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:55 AM

10 posts, read 20,284 times

Advertisements

hi everyone...

husband will be working @ vineyard/lindon soon. the rest of the family are planning to move to utah from cali next year. we have 3 kids, all under 10. we are concern about how they are going to fit into their new school and new place being non-LDS. i want to hear your experiences, good and bad. any particular school we should look into??? my daughter is quite advanced for her grade level. do they have programs that would determine/place her @ appropriate level?

we are looking for a place to rent @ daybreak. we like that a lot of good things has been said about this place (except for the water issue). is daybreak really an ideal place to live in? what were your experiences when you first moved in?

lastly, any ideas on the current trend for house prices in daybreak? not sure how long we should rent.

husband has been to utah twice during his job interviews, didnt have enough time to look around residential areas. i've never been to utah and i dont know anybody from there either. hope you can help us out.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 AM

2,366 posts, read 5,126,666 times
I'm quite sure you'll have a response here shortly from Hilgi, a Daybreak resident. I live just south of there in the next town south called Herriman. Both are quite new and have excellent schools (mostly all new). Education won't be a challenge as there are a good number of charter schools as well as the public variety. Shopping is very convenient and nearby. It sounds like the Daybreak experience will be perfect for you. The housing market here has really struggled, which should provide you with some superb opportunities to get in on a great home at a good price. If your credit rating is good you'll get a fast track to a decent loan as well. Don't worry about the water so much. Just get a good filtration system and you'll be fine. Better yet a competent water softener combined with a reverse osmosis system for drinking is ideal. We have rock hard water around here. Enjoy....

Old 06-24-2011, 05:18 PM

thanks for the input. yup, still waiting to hear from hilgi as well i need to get as much info to make this move smooth if not easy.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 PM

6,801 posts, read 7,371,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manalos View Post
thanks for the input. yup, still waiting to hear from hilgi as well i need to get as much info to make this move smooth if not easy.
I am getting too predictable I see.

Coming up on two years for us and we still love it, sure it has it's growing pains like not enough pools but it is great.

The only school I can comment on is Daybreak, all of are kids are there and we have been very happy with it. It is a year around school but that works well for us.They have a charter traditional schedule down the road.

The LDS issue is a non issue for us, we don't really see what the deal is. Daybreak seems very diverse but I am sure that each block is unique. There are actually too many kids to play with, our door never stops knocking.

Just like every other area you have good and bad people, I just don't associate religion to them.

The housing market is still down, so renting is a good option. The size of house we would eventually buy is still overpriced and not selling fast IMHO. Waiting is fine, especially when something breaks.

Keep me posted, we will get you an invite to the Wine Club!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 PM

thanks hilgi... i know you would help us. i appreciate your invite to the wine club, we will keep you posted. been looking around many websites, daybreak seems to be a stand-out in terms of amenities, nice neigborhood and still growing! is there any particular area in daybreak which you can consider as a "better" area in terms of proximity to shops/schools and easy access to freeway/highway. i saw the map from the internet, but i was wondering if there is any area i should stay away from. which school does your kids go?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 PM

6,801 posts, read 7,371,204 times
Quote:
thanks hilgi... i know you would help us. i appreciate your invite to the wine club, we will keep you posted. been looking around many websites, daybreak seems to be a stand-out in terms of amenities, nice neigborhood and still growing! is there any particular area in daybreak which you can consider as a "better" area in terms of proximity to shops/schools and easy access to freeway/highway. i saw the map from the internet, but i was wondering if there is any area i should stay away from. which school does your kids go?
Thanks! Well it is a new community and not very big yet. The little shopping area (SoDa Row is more in the middle along with the lake. The "older" section is Founders and it tends to have more rentals, They passed a rule a couple years back saying that you must live in your home for a year before renting it out, they wanted to limit investors (kinda dumb). So the newer areas (East Lake and North Shore don't have as many rentals.

Our school is Daybreak in Founders and Eastlake is in eastlake, they are each close to housing.

The three main roads go down to the highway and shopping centers, so there is no real advantage in either area. They are building The Mountain View Corridor to the west of Daybreak Home | MountainView Corridor and this should help access to the area.

In a little over a month they are opening a new Trax line that stops about 3 blocks from my house, this will help a lot also. Utah Transit Authority

Once you are out here you will see that everything is close to everything, at least that is how I feel being from So Cal.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:30 PM

494 posts, read 1,679,397 times
My favorite area is Eastlake; it's close to the lake and has a pool close by (which gets very crowded). Founder's has more rentals, however. Founder's is also close to the small shopping area SoDa Row (Swirly Girls Bakery is awesome!!) All areas of Daybreak are nice.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM

494 posts, read 1,679,397 times
Also, I wanted to mention to make sure you drive from Daybreak to Lindon/Vineyard to make sure that you are OK with the drive. I drive from West Jordan (10 minutes northwest of Daybreak) to Saratoga Springs (Utah County, but about 20 minutes northwest of Lindon/Vineyard). The drive gets a little scary during the winter months; make sure you have an AWD or 4WD vehicle. But, coming from California, you're probably used to long commutes

Old 06-27-2011, 12:11 AM

wow, thanks for the insight. when i checked, it would be a 25 mile commute (daybreak-vineyard) for him. we've never thought of winter. this would be our very first time to live in a place with snow. i am clueless any advice for us?

yup, here in cali, husband drives 40 miles each way to work... he's used in long commutes. he drives 2wd so i guess we have to consider that too.

to hilgi... we appreciate your help in giving us valuable info. these are the things not easily seen/read in various websites. personal advices/tips are always the best

i wish we could get a place that has a lot of young kids too. we will be visiting this august to feel the area. hope all goes well.

btw, how come the schools are on multi track? are they over crowded that is why they have to do this? i havent check any website to see the ratings/reviews of the school. i am simply overwhemed with all the things we need to do to facilitate his job transfer.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 AM

1,294 posts, read 2,806,040 times
Quote:

btw, how come the schools are on multi track? are they over crowded that is why they have to do this? i havent check any website to see the ratings/reviews of the school. i am simply overwhemed with all the things we need to do to facilitate his job transfer.
Not sure what a multi=track school is but here is a website for school rankings:

ksl.com - Read Today: Elementary School Rankings

Only problem I have seen about daybreak homes is that they seem to be very close to each other with little land for each lot. But if you don't care about maintenance or using a community park for the kids, then its a great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area