Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 PM

60 posts, read 68,831 times

Advertisements

I read a comment in a previous thread, how they are happy no homeless come to the farmer market. Well I live in Portland, OR. We have much homeless. But we are not mormons like in Utah. Why are the mormons so obsessed with becoming rich? Instead of being compassionate?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:04 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
Said park that the farmer's market is at is a huge hang out place for the homeless, that's all. &, no, I'm not LDS, not that it matters.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 PM

60 posts, read 68,831 times
why is that an issue? Where do u expect them to go?? In Portland, they are everywhere, when I can I help them. We have to look out for the weaker people, not look down at them. You may not be mormon, but UTah has a major momron concentration, and I am sure it has influenced you in some way.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Salt Lake City is at best 40-50% LDS and maybe 20-30% of those actually practice the religion. Mormon Hell is in the suburbs, like South Jordan, Saratoga Springs, Bountiful (just to name a few), and can't be the problem.

The fact of the matter is that Utahns in general have little tolerance for homeless people. The "great recession" hit us rather lightly, so there aren't many good reasons to be wandering Salt Lake begging for your change, pissing on your storefront and stealing your car stereos. And since the Mormon church has a HUGE welfare program, there aren't many good reasons go hungry, just dry... and homeless people (not to mention yours truly ) HATE that.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:30 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonmoving1 View Post
I read a comment in a previous thread, how they are happy no homeless come to the farmer market. Well I live in Portland, OR. We have much homeless. But we are not mormons like in Utah. Why are the mormons so obsessed with becoming rich? Instead of being compassionate?
Something tells me this whole thread is going to be closed very soon, so I'm going to do my best to set the record straight before that happens.

First off, to answer the question posed in the title of your thread, Mormons in general do not look down on poor people. We tend more to look down on people who make prejudiced, ignorant statements about us.

The only individual who mentioned the homeless is not even LDS, so you might want to consider retracting your statement. I suspect that the only reason she even mentioned it at all is that the Farmer's Market is held at Pioneer Park, a long-time gathering place for the homeless, who can often be seen loitering there, many times passed out under the trees. Most of us find it rather annoying to have to maneuver our way through a maze of them when walking from one side of the park to the other.

Now let's talk about the Mormons and their "obsession with becoming rich." What on earth put such an idiotic idea into your head? You obviously have no clue about the Church's absolutely enormous Humantarian Efforts that help people worldwide, regardless of nationality, race or religion. Whenever there is a natural disaster virtually anywhere in the world, we are among the first to respond. And when we do, we do it with absolutely no strings attached. Furthermore, we ease the burden on the American welfare system through our own Welfare System. Latter-day Saints are among some of the most compassionate people you will ever find. You need to do some serious research before you post nonsense like this again.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-26-2011 at 10:17 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
Quote:
why is that an issue? Where do u expect them to go?? In Portland, they are everywhere, when I can I help them. We have to look out for the weaker people, not look down at them. You may not be mormon, but UTah has a major momron concentration, and I am sure it has influenced you in some way.
Because I don't want to be constantly hassled for $$. & hubby even gave a homeless guy not too far from there a few bucks that day. I know that you might think SLC is tiny, but, we have more areas than Pioneer Park for anyone to loiter in.

I felt the same way when I lived in Ohio. Sure, I feel bad for anyone down on their luck, but I can't help everyone, & I don't like to be asked for $$$ constantly while shopping (w/ the budget we have) .

If the LDS people have influenced me in any way, it's a good influence. The ones I know are kind, caring, leave cookies & small gifts on our porch, invite us to gatherings, hubby plays basketball at their church. It makes me want to be just as kind to others.

&, as far as 'looking down on the homeless', didn't you just do the same thing to the LDS people? &, like Katz said, the person who mentioned it is not LDS (& I know meant nothing bad by it) .

Old 06-27-2011, 11:36 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
Quote:
I think you are missing the point. The park where the Farmer's Market is, is in an area which supports homeless. There is a clinic, a shelter, there & trax is free right around that area. Pioneer Park is often unusable to other residents because it is full of homeless people. On weekends you'll see trucks giving out sandwiches.

So when people hear "Pioneer Park", they think "homeless"...so there has been advertising letting residents know it is "safe".

Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
What an ignorant statement from the OP. If s/he knew anything about the city, they would know that ANYONE, regardless of religion or lack thereof, can go to the Bishops Square and get work and food. There are numerous shelters throughout the valley, including ones for families, with no religious requirement. There is a Rescue Mission run by protestants and they have prayer and speeches at meals AFAIK. The LDS also tithe (give 10% of their pre-tax income) to the church to fund all aspects of the church, including their outreach to the homeless and their own members. I have had patients who had their rent paid by their bishop, got food from the church, andf had neighbors who drove them to appointments. The church owns huge ranches and farms in UT where they produce food they use in their support programs.

This is just a joke, but if I were old and unable to really take good care of myself, I might join the church! A member on my block uses his big snow-blower to clear both sides of the block every time it snows. Another one mows the yard of some elderly folks (2 that I know of) who can't do it or afford to pay someone.

As far as I can see, the LDS generally - and officially - practice true Christianity.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Oops, just realized the OP is a returning troll. Thread closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area