Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM

415 posts, read 613,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle421 View Post
Hi! My family and I plan on moving to the SLC area and have narrowed it down between Bountiful and Murray. Can anyone please help with this decision? I mostly need to know about crime,traffic,shopping,housing prices(both rentals and homes for sale) and schools in both areas. My son will be a sophomore in High School and we are LDS so that is not an issue. Thank-You in advance.
Bountiful is more LDS; the people there are very friendly and not cold. As for traffic, the traffic in Bountiful is fine. There are lots of little shopping malls and you can go to the new mall they are building in Farmington or the mall in Layton, and can also hop FrontRunner and go downtown to SLC. Both Murray and Bountiful are not too far away from SLC proper, so you can go either way on distance. I knew quite a few people (who were not LDS) who went to either Bountiful High or Woods Cross High and they loved it there. There isn't much crime in Bountiful. Housing can be a bit more expensive as you are closer to SLC. Near 500 S they have a Ross, Barnes and Noble, TJ Maxx, huge Deseret Book, tons of restaurants, a shoe store, a Dollar store and tons more. The Bountiful branch of the Davis County library is nice (and very quiet, and if I remember right, two stories), PD is friendly, decent thrift stores. Overall, a nice area. They have a clinic near 400 N (Intermountain Healthcare) that is a very nice facility and has good doctors on staff, and also has an allergy clinic.

I don't know much about Murray other than it has decent shopping and seems a little more run down than Bountiful. But if you are LDS, I'd definitely recommend Davis county more, and Bountiful is a very nice LDS community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 PM

5 posts, read 12,094 times
Thanks again for the great responses this will be a very hard choice,although noone has said Bountiful has a bad side of town, but West Murray is somewhere I need to stay away from. My question is how bad is it?? Also I looked at the housing prices in Bountiful and it looks like you can get a fairly nice place for around $200,000 and up which is a little out of our budget but doable if its worth it. So is there a bad side of Bountiful? I really worry mostly about my 16 year old finding trouble... Thank-You!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 PM

27,894 posts, read 29,704,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle421 View Post
Thanks again for the great responses this will be a very hard choice,although noone has said Bountiful has a bad side of town, but West Murray is somewhere I need to stay away from. My question is how bad is it?? Also I looked at the housing prices in Bountiful and it looks like you can get a fairly nice place for around $200,000 and up which is a little out of our budget but doable if its worth it. So is there a bad side of Bountiful? I really worry mostly about my 16 year old finding trouble... Thank-You!
Oh man, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I can tell you from personal experience that a 16-year-old can find trouble in pretty much any neighborhood.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:58 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,240,126 times
Agreed, but I am pretty sure its a little harder in Bountiful than in most places in this world.

I wouldn't say there is a bad part of town, but the homes are closer together, older etc closer to I-15, although there are certainly exceptions. Pretty much the closer to the temple you get, the nicer the homes are. Funny how that works.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 PM

27,894 posts, read 29,704,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Agreed, but I am pretty sure its a little harder in Bountiful than in most places in this world.

I wouldn't say there is a bad part of town, but the homes are closer together, older etc closer to I-15, although there are certainly exceptions. Pretty much the closer to the temple you get, the nicer the homes are. Funny how that works.
I know what you're saying, but I live in Cottonwood Heights and there really aren't any "bad" areas in Cottonwood Heights. My son, nevertheless, found some "bad" kids to hang out with. He could have found the same kids in any neighborhood in the Salt Lake valley.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM

139 posts, read 499,661 times
I think it all depends on where you will be working. They are both great areas, with lots of pros and cons to both. But depending on where you are working you commute could really vary.

One thing that no one here has mentioned is that Murray doesn't only consist of Murray School District. A few years ago, Murray annexed a huge swath of unincorporated Salt Lake County. So, a portion of Murray is in the Granite School District with great schools like Woodstock Elementary and Cottonwood High School. So, don't just search on Murray School District schools when you are looking at schools.

But in reality...you can't go wrong in either location!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 PM

5 posts, read 8,338 times
I hate to say it but every town/city has a "bad" area. Usually this means that the area is older and can be run down, may have more commercial/industrial businesses near it, and occasionally more diverse. Sometimes it worse then this. Bountiful isn't immune to bad neighborhoods and that is the same with Murray.

Murray is not a bad place to live, take it from someone that actually lives there. I don't have real personal experience in Bountiful only from what my family tells me and they like it there as well. Research the area the homes you are looking for are in to get a better perspective.

Like another poster said, your 16 year old will find bad friends in any neighborhood if that is what they are looking for. Good luck and I think either city is a great one.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:15 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,240,126 times
I lived in the area of Bountiful that locals at least think is "bad". Coming from Orlando and Philly, I got quite a good laugh at that comment. I now live in a home thats considered "on the bench" which apparently is a different economic level. I never lived in Murray but since its sorta part of the SLC metro, it does have a lot more traffic and businesses. I would consider the "worse areas" in Murray to be worse than Bountiful. But thats on a Utah scale bar.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 12,094 times
Thank-You for the great posts! As far as where we will be working,its most definately going to be in SLC,We'll both be students at USU. Both places sound good but I'm still struggling. My son has found bad friends where we are now so if we can avoid this next time we move that would be great but I do understand they can be found anywhere if your looking. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. If there's any one thing that makes one place better than the other, please let me know

Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,603,272 times
If you are talking about the extension campus on State St right below I-80, then Murray is a no-brainer. You would be just minutes away.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area